Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Dec 13, 2019, 10:41 AM   #211
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post

I've actually purchased two lemon/buyback vehicles in my lifetime. The first one I had for 5 years with 0 issues and about 60,000 miles put on it. The 2nd one has had a tpms replaced in one wheel and also the ETM replaced (due to a random reboot issue) both covered under warranty and unrelated to the complaints that led to buyback.

In both instances I received a hefty discount on year old vehicles with 8-10k miles on them. The original owners loss was apparently my gain.

I know what it can feel like to have a car with issues and sit in service. My 06 STI was in the shop for nearly a month after having an oil pickup tube failure. They ended up replacing the short block, oil pump, pickup tube, and something else under warranty. Did I write that car off and no longer want it? No, I was like "heck yeah, new engine!"
Didn't see this edit till now. I didn't write my truck off for paint flaws from the dealer/manufacturer. I didn't write my truck off after the catalytic converter failed at 9k miles. I didn't write it off after it had exhaust issues related to that repair. I didn't write it off when the transmission shudder started at 27k. I didn't write it off when the drivers side door had a metal on metal rattle that drove me nuts. I didn't write it off when the airbag light kept coming on randomly. I didn't write it off for random misfires. I didn't even write it off for the transmission having abnormally harsh downshifts, which have gotten worse over time.

I wrote it off for all of these things. I wrote it off because it's not a good vehicle. I don't think that's unreasonable. Many of these problems also took multiple visits to fix. After more than enough patience, I'm done. I don't think that's unreasonable, or shady.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2019, 10:54 AM   #212
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

It's not unreasonable at all, and it's your money. After that many problems, I'd do the same thing. Unless you're extremely infatuated with a particular vehicle and keep repairing it out of simply being an enthusiast and put up with it's flaws...it just gets old.

You get burned out after a while and it hurts to even look at the thing. It's a constant reminder that you just want to drive the thing without the fear of it breaking down. **** that. That's when it's time to kick it to the curb. There are more important things in life to stress over.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 10:58 AM   #213
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Yep. I didn't buy a brand new truck for it to be a project vehicle.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:30 AM   #214
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I'm 100% on Elysian's side on this. That truck is a lemon and it should be sent to the juicer.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:16 PM   #215
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Just spoke with the rep I've been dealing with at GM. She told me she has an agreement written up but has to get it approved. She didn't say what the agreement was, but at least it's still moving. Still haven't heard back regarding the final repair request, but would be nice if I didn't have to deal with that at all.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 10:30 PM   #216
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Bone her. Expedites agreements.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2019, 12:03 PM   #217
fO Che -USA-
Radeon Northern Islands

fO Che -USA- is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Yep. I didn't buy a brand new truck for it to be a project vehicle.
This trucks sounds like a piece of crap. GM better make this right. These trucks are too expensive to put up with this.

Both GM and Ford just released garbage midsized trucks. Not going to stand the test of time.

Chevy should have stuck the Ls 4.3 and the 4 Ladies and called it a day.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:35 PM   #218
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Any updates?
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2019, 02:58 PM   #219
Elysian
SCAATSJW

No
Old Dec 27, 2019, 04:54 PM   #220
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
No
I know I gave you crap before, but this is beyond ridiculous.

Reminds me of the Auto Auction Rebuilds (YouTube) guy. Not only did he have similar trouble with his Camaro SS transmission, but he bought a brand new C7 over a month ago and after only like 150 miles it has been in the shop for a few weeks.
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2019, 06:11 PM   #221
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I give them a bit of slack seeing as it's the holidays, but they do only have 30 days from receipt of the letter, and time is running out. 2 more weeks of waiting and I'll reach out to the BBB to see what's next. However, I assume I'll hear something next week.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 08:00 PM   #222
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Mainly posting this here so I don't forget.

Had a new transmission symptom tonight.

Was driving on the highway, little bit of traffic. Doing 45-50, maybe 1500-1600rpm... Had 5-10 percent throttle, not really accelerating. Suddenly got a jolt from the transmission, shook the whole truck for a split second, like it banged in and out of gear really quickly

It wasn't trying to downshift, I didn't have enough pedal for that, was maintaining a pretty steady speed. It wasn't like the shudder, it was more of a jolt, much more pronounced and quick.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:08 PM   #223
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Finally, an update.

The field tech is going on a drive with me on January 9th.

That's good, because the transmission continues to exhibit more and more odd behavior. Today, I was accelerating in 2nd gear and got a few seconds of vibration that started and stopped pretty abruptly. I get random vibration while driving on the highway too. I've been worried it will leave me stranded for the last few weeks.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 02:09 PM   #224
Elysian
SCAATSJW

A moment ago I was turning into the road that leads to my workplace, a turn I take a minimum of twice daily, and the transmission knocked the gear so hard I thought I was rear ended, checked my rear view and everything. It was pretty loud and jarring. Tomorrow is the drive with the field tech. Boy will I have an ear full for him/her.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 06:21 PM   #225
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Had another strange happening on the way out of Home Depot just now, makes me suspect the G80 diff is also having problems. Was turning out of Home Depot onto the other side of the road, some cars coming up so I was giving it throttle. Felt like the rear end locked up and unlocked about 10 times, rumbling through the turn.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 07:28 PM   #226
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
A moment ago I was turning into the road that leads to my workplace, a turn I take a minimum of twice daily, and the transmission knocked the gear so hard I thought I was rear ended, checked my rear view and everything. It was pretty loud and jarring. Tomorrow is the drive with the field tech. Boy will I have an ear full for him/her.
Quote:
Had another strange happening on the way out of Home Depot just now, makes me suspect the G80 diff is also having problems. Was turning out of Home Depot onto the other side of the road, some cars coming up so I was giving it throttle. Felt like the rear end locked up and unlocked about 10 times, rumbling through the turn.
That's really good news, actually. I hope that parts and sparks come flying out of the bottom of the truck during your test drive tomorrow. You might want to take it out for a warm-up ride tonight and push it nice and hard.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2020, 03:52 PM   #227
Elysian
SCAATSJW

The clown car they gave me as a loaner:

This thing is awful. I've driven it maybe 15 miles now and would not recommend it to anyone. Took them 3 hours to get me sorted this morning, drove around with the dealers master tech as well as the GM field tech. Dealer tech noticed the rear diff stuff, field tech noticed the transmission stuff. They're going to work on it, and when I get it back hopefully we can quickly wrap this process up.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 04:53 PM   #228
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
The clown car they gave me as a loaner:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/y78p4X6h.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/KDKGwlXh.jpg[/img]

This thing is awful. I've driven it maybe 15 miles now and would not recommend it to anyone. Took them 3 hours to get me sorted this morning, drove around with the dealers master tech as well as the GM field tech. Dealer tech noticed the rear diff stuff, field tech noticed the transmission stuff. They're going to work on it, and when I get it back hopefully we can quickly wrap this process up.
What don't you like about the Chevy Trax? It looks cute on the outside, at least.

It was really disrespectful of the dealership and GM to take up three hours of your time on a week day. What are the technicians telling you about the truck? Are they admitting how bad it is, or are they making excuses and telling lies?
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2020, 05:04 PM   #229
Elysian
SCAATSJW

The field tech is handling the repairs, he's going to hook it up to some specialized equipment and figure out what's going on.

The Trax rides terribly, has no power, handles poorly, likes to tramline, has mediocre visibility, and is just cheap as hell inside. It's like they supersized a Chevy Spark and called it a day.

The Equinox is better in every way, even the base model.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 05:59 PM   #230
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

My parents have both a Trax and an Equinox. I've always considered them equal in build quality and materials. Both are boring to look at and drive, neither have anything beyond average build quality and materials, etc. They are just reasonable appliances for people moving. One simply smaller than the other.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 08:14 PM   #231
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
My parents have both a Trax and an Equinox. I've always considered them equal in build quality and materials. Both are boring to look at and drive, neither have anything beyond average build quality and materials, etc. They are just reasonable appliances for people moving. One simply smaller than the other.
Is their Equinox the 250hp model?

This Trax has some annoying sharp plastic on the shifter, really not happy about that.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 08:54 PM   #232
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Are you worried they will just slap a new transmission in it, and give it back to you? That would be my luck.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2020, 09:34 PM   #233
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
Are you worried they will just slap a new transmission in it, and give it back to you? That would be my luck.
I'm not worried about anything, I'm still proceeding with the buyback regardless.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:05 PM   #234
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Sounds like a new diff because of the transmission hammering it too...

Stupid Gov-bombs.

Heatware
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:32 PM   #235
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

After seeing all the issues my neighbor has had with his GM trucks, I doubt I ever buy a GM product. He keeps buying them for some reason though.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2020, 08:55 AM   #236
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21 View Post
Sounds like a new diff because of the transmission hammering it too...

Stupid Gov-bombs.
I've been telling them that the harsh shifting feels like it could hurt the diff since I first brought it up with them.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 08:57 AM   #237
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
After seeing all the issues my neighbor has had with his GM trucks, I doubt I ever buy a GM product. He keeps buying them for some reason though.
My neighbor loves his Silverado, he had an older one and and bought a 2018 not too long ago, hasn't had a single issue. I think GM puts all the effort into their full size pickups and Corvette and screw everything else.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:00 AM   #238
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
My neighbor loves his Silverado, he had an older one and and bought a 2018 not too long ago, hasn't had a single issue. I think GM puts all the effort into their full size pickups and Corvette and screw everything else.
GM IS their full size trucks and the Vette. Those are the moneymakers and gets all the attention. The rest of the lineup gets the leftover change.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2020, 02:43 PM   #239
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

Quote:
I've been telling them that the harsh shifting feels like it could hurt the diff since I first brought it up with them.
Yeah, I would 100% have them open and check the diff. The 1/2 ton and lighter rear ends are pretty weak. The compression sleeve between the bearings on the pinion is set once, so if the shocks compressed it which it can do easily, it won't be maintaining the required force on the inner races.

Also G80s are a miserable design for a LSD, if it's hanging up, it's likely screwed. They have two main failure modes, either exploding or locking up. The shitty bolt holding the diff pin in place can also easily break if you shock load the diff.

Heatware
Old Jan 10, 2020, 02:46 PM   #240
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I was thinking the vibration while driving was my 20" wheels/spacers, but going back to the original wheels didn't fix it. I'm now thinking it's the diff. The loaner I'm driving is buttery smooth compared to my pickup on the exact same roads.

I've hated the G80 locker since day 1. Wish they had a real, clutch style limited slip option. Truck gets crazy tail happy when that diff locks up, it's so stupid.