Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:55 AM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Dropped the heads off at the machine shop this morning, hopefully have them back early next week. Didn't ask what the turnaround was right now, who knows could get them back today.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2017, 11:54 AM   #182
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

And I ordered roller rockers and everything I need to convert to them, minus the hardened pushrods. I'll measure for those.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 05:56 PM   #183
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got the rest of the pistons in and torqued everything to spec.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 26, 2017, 02:04 PM   #184
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Will be picking up some fuel injectors after work, Bosch, rated at 42lbs at LS1 pressures.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 07:50 PM   #185
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got the call from the machine shop, they were "done" with my heads... Got there and was getting read to load them up in my pickup, but asked about the valve stem seals... The guy didn't know what I was talking about, but told me they machined my heads for 0.550" seals... So he goes off, finds my seals, and we measure and they're 0.500"... That won't work, so I wasn't able to take my heads home today.

I did get my injectors yesterday, and took a stock one out to compare, they're virtually identical besides the electrical connector.

So fitment won't be an issue. The new ones have a larger fuel inlet, and larger holes in the spray end. They're 40-42lbs at LS1 fuel pressures.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 06:59 PM   #186
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got my heads

They look great, very happy with the work. Can't wait to start putting them together, though that won't be until next week.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:37 AM   #187
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I found a World Class Tremec T5 from a 99-02 Mustang today. No bellhousing, but should be compatible, and is only $300. Might be able to go manual after all. Sent them an email.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 07:22 PM   #188
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Acquired.

Old Jan 3, 2018, 07:42 PM   #189
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

That should make it quite fun to drive
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:06 PM   #190
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Already have someone lined up to buy the 4R70W.

edit: And sold!

Last edited by Elysian : Jan 4, 2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 01:48 PM   #191
Elysian
SCAATSJW

A bellhousing popped up on eBay this morning for $65 shipped, jumped on that. Still need the T5 clutch fork.

edit: And $22 clutch fork acquired.

Last edited by Elysian : Jan 10, 2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:19 PM   #192
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Started putting the camshaft in, but realized the cam kit didn't come with ANY install hardware... so I had to order a kit and a new thrust plate from RockAuto. Should be here later this week.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:44 AM   #193
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Went out to work on the heads last night, found that my overhead lighting was all dead The florescent bulbs have been burning out one by one, right to left, since we moved in... The final one went... Pulled it out and there was a big hole in it, it went out with a bang I guess. Upgraded to LED's, but didn't have time to work after I got back.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:02 PM   #194
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got plenty of work done today. Lapped the valves in on both heads, and installed them. Spring height is good, going very smooth so far.

The cam parts I need will be here tomorrow, so I'll be finishing up the cam install, then installing the heads. Moving right along now!
Old Jan 13, 2018, 06:01 PM   #195
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Confirmed I can use stock length pushrods, so I'll order those now.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 02:05 PM   #196
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Hardened push rods and starter index plate ordered.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 07:10 PM   #197
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Bell housing and clutch fork just showed up, all that I'm missing now is clutch, flywheel, and driveshaft.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 03:15 PM   #198
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Had the day off work because of freezing rain/sleet/snow, so got the rest of the studs and guide plates installed, and got the rockers ready for when the push rods get here. Decided to work on my valve covers, these were some aluminum covers I got from eBay, they were powdercoated solid black. I went ahead and ran them across my belt sander to take the finish off the fins, gives it a nice classy look. Here they are sitting in place:

Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:34 AM   #199
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Clutch and flywheel ordered.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:53 AM   #200
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

The valve covers look great!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:10 PM   #201
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
The valve covers look great!
Now I need to figure out if I paint the intake manifold black as well.

Push rods and flywheel are already in Austin, ordered them yesterday. Summit is awesome.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 09:25 PM   #202
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Thought my pushrods and flywheel were going to be here today... Summit used a regional overnight shipper, and it was "on the truck" this morning, but this evening the status updated, all it said was "emergency conditions." So maybe tomorrow?

edit: Called the shipping company, apparently the driver yesterday couldn't finish his route because of family emergency

Last edited by Elysian : Jan 19, 2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 08:22 PM   #203
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Roller rockers and pushrods are installed

Gonna pick up some valve cover gaskets, put the valve covers on, then move to the oil pump/pan mods, should hopefully have the engine closed up this weekend.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 04:33 PM   #204
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I'm a bad welder but the oil pan is getting there. I've got 3 leaks I need to fix, then clean it up and paint it.

Last edited by Elysian : Jan 21, 2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 04:25 PM   #205
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Oil pan was a mini nightmare thanks to my computer lack of welding skill, but it's done. It holds liquid which is all that matters. Threw a coat of paint on it and called it a day.

Old Jan 28, 2018, 08:03 PM   #206
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got a LOT done today, but got hung up again.

I got the oil pump installed (replaced it, original pump was scored really badly), got the timing cover lined up and installed, and put the crank pulley on. However, when I went to install the oil pan, the oil pickup was touching the pan in the area I chopped up, meaning no go. Marked it on the inside of the pan to see how far off it was, I'll spoiler tag in case some are put off by boogers.

That sharpie mark inside the pan is how far off the pickup is. I bought the pickup recommended for the pan, but didn't expect it to go all the way to the back of the pan, figured it would be in the middle. Oh well, looks like I'll be chopping it up and rewelding it. I also roughly checked its depth and it's about 3/4" too shallow, I'll work on its clearance while I'm at it. The oil pump I got is also a high flowing replacement, so should be a nice pump. I'm hoping I can chop up the pickup tomorrow, we'll see how that goes.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 08:02 PM   #207
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Welded the oil pickup today, took two tries on the 2nd weld but overall was pretty painless to get the clearance right.

Oil pan is on.

No idea when I dinged that corner but oh well. Put the lower intake manifold in a vat of Purple Power overnight, will clean it up tomorrow.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:52 PM   #208
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Ordered a Summit Racing short throw shifter today, has positive stops so should help keep the transmission in line. Also ordered a new water pump.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 07:17 PM   #209
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Had to move backwards a little bit, realized I didn't install the windage tray, so pulled the oil pan off. Quickly realized I needed special studs to be able to install the windage tray, so ordered those and will resume when they get here.

In the mean time, I pressure washed the intake manifold, need to clean it a little more but should be able to paint it. Need to grab some high temp black.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:45 PM   #210
Elysian
SCAATSJW

My Summit T5 billet short shifter came in, gotta say, it's pretty impressive for the price.

I probably put the shift rod on backwards, but just wanted to put it there for demonstration.

So the windage tray is installed properly now, enough clearance for the connecting rods, and enough clearance that the oil pan fits. It was a VERY tight fit, but I got the oil pan on and spun the engine a few times.

So much more to do. I think I'll paint the upper and lower intake next.