Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Dec 23, 2019, 05:44 PM   #301
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGoa View Post
It did. This is why I asked.
The 302 was originally made as a carbureted motor. They didn't update much of anything to make it work for fuel economy, so swapping to carb is extremely simple. There is so much work I still have to do to finish the fuel injection, then I have to tune it, I have no idea what the car is right now so I want to find that out before I sink so much time into the fuel injection. I want to be able to put some miles on it before I spend even more getting it right.

I've never even driven a stock E30, much my E30. I've only ever driven highly modified examples.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2019, 05:46 PM   #302
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Yeah, every small block I've seen the injection ports are in the intake manifold. A carb intake runner simply bolts into place between the heads.

It's really simple to pull MP or TB EFI off any north American small block.

Elysian...

Did you look into the MSD Ignition Control box?

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2019, 08:41 PM   #303
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Ah OK that makes sense, so you simply back track to carb.

I assumed the opposite where carbing would require much swapping.

It is still the same for mid 2000's V-8? Like an LS1?

And yeah, MSD has a bolt on with the harness already made.
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 24, 2019, 05:45 PM   #304
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Cut the core support off and cleaned up the car side of it. Swapped the carb setup on.

Verified the strut bar will still work with the carb.

In case anyone wonders why the headers come out the front, no room. Steering exits right where the header would go.

edit: Air filter showed up, bought an Edelbrock for my Holley carb

Last edited by Elysian : Dec 24, 2019 at 06:26 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 09:05 AM   #305
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

The engine might scoff a bit!

What year block is this?
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2019, 09:42 AM   #306
Elysian
SCAATSJW

1999, should be fine. The cam I put in is good for carb or fuel injection.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 04:50 PM   #307
Elysian
SCAATSJW

The rear end is out of the BMW. Already have the replacement modified and painted, but need to press in new wheel bearings and buy the rest of the big brake kit. The subframe bushings were stuck on pretty good, took some wrestling to get this out.

Also need to add a second diff mount while it's out.

Oh I also measured the driveshaft length before I pulled out. With the WC T5 I came up with a length of 46" from end of output shaft to diff flange.

Last edited by Elysian : Dec 25, 2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:58 AM   #308
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got the new fuel pressure regulator in today. Plan right now is to drain the gas tank and refill it with clean fuel, install a new fuel filter, and install the new regulator. Then I'll clean up the wiring, prime the engine with oil again (since it's been so long), and run it. I'm going to start getting quotes for a driveshaft as well, possibly get that going.

I also went ahead and just ordered a GM HEI style distributor with vacuum advance. Didn't think through the distributor I picked up with the electric advance. Should be here tomorrow.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 02:59 PM   #309
Elysian
SCAATSJW

That escalated quickly. Driveshaft is being made. Should be done mid next week.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 02:49 PM   #310
Elysian
SCAATSJW

LKQ (junkyard) had a 40% off sale this weekend, so went and grabbed some E46 control arms for the E30 build. Will give a much wider track up front, which will compliment the wide body kit really well. Can sell the E36 M3 arms I have as well.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 06:02 PM   #311
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Driveshaft is done.

Came to $375.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 01:44 PM   #312
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Grabbed a 2nd set of the BBK shorty headers so I could run a proper passenger side header. Wish I could have found just a passenger, but this set wasn't too expensive. Saw plenty of drivers side headers on eBay...

Old Jan 26, 2020, 07:43 PM   #313
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Minor stuff today... Started mocking up the alternator and power steering pump, which meant relocating the dipstick tube and engine ground. Relocated the engine ground to the alternator mount.

Installed the breathers and the put the new distributor in place. Found out the 14" filter I purchased won't fit, so bought a 12" in the same style.

Then, since I bought a second set of BBK shorty headers, installed the correct passenger side header. However, I found I had to clearance the firewall to get it to go.

Looked at some other things like the clutch slave cylinder, still not sure how I'm going to accomplish that right now.