Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Dec 6, 2019, 06:06 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

Default question about third party oil filters

i always see these long discussions on car forums about oil filter brands. a lot of times one person would recommend a brand and then another person would say to avoid it.

did my own oil change for the first time . after agonizing over what filter brand to buy i checked out my local toyota dealer's parts department and they were selling the orignal oil filter for $5 and change.
even picked up some toyota motor oil for $4/quart after price matching with another toyota location. i was told toyota oil = mobil + plus toyota additives.

i couldn't find mobil anything for $4/quart in the retail market.

Why the heck would I buy a third party oil filter for more money if Toyota is selling their own stuff for equal or even cheaper than third party brands?

am i missing something?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 08:24 PM   #2
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Usually the OEM filter is fine. Subaru's OEM filter for the WRX/STI is actually really good. However, if I was tracking the car I would run AMSOIL. For normal driving I would keep the OEM filter.

However .. oil? No way Jose. AMSOIL all day and I wouldn't run anything else. Also, why do you want additives unless it's a super high mileage motor?
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2019, 08:31 PM   #3
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I always use Mobil-1. What's your guys opinion on that. Also I usually get Fram oil filters. Bad idea?
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 6, 2019, 09:03 PM   #4
Roadhog
Sausages

Roadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Use whatever oil you want that meets the specs/requirements for your car. Most filters are made by the same few companies though. I tend to stick with OEM filters. Fram is possibly the worst out of all.

Why cheap out on an oil change? Engines are much more expensive than saving $10 on oil/filter.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:41 PM   #5
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Fram are the worst filters possible
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:10 PM   #6
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

I don't go nuts over expensive filters. I just buy WIX and call it a day.

For oil, I don't use anything other than AMSOIL. It's a personal choice after a bit of research and having the benefit of an independent oil supplier that competitively races with the same car I have. Lots of good info and personalized recommendations based on that.

As far as Mobil 1, I've heard too many horror stories about their oil quality under hard use to recommend them to anyone. Any truth to it? Who knows, but there are so many stories out there now it's hard to ignore when you simply have other choices. A buddy of mine had bearing failure when using Mobil 1 just one time, since he couldn't find his usual preferred oil in a pinch. It didn't hold up to track use.

Just normal driving around and not under harsh treatment? Eh...anything will probably do just fine honestly. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. It's under excess heat for extended periods where the details really start to matter, IMO.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 02:01 PM   #7
chigger_ns
Do the Xmas Cart-moon

chigger_ns can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultychigger_ns can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultychigger_ns can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Dealer oil and Dealer filter. Dealer oil change.
I can do my own but I own a Subaru with extended warranty, taking NO chances
Old Dec 8, 2019, 01:39 PM   #8
Nunz
RIP Roxen

**** Subaru oil though. The tranny oil they use sucks.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 06:36 PM   #9
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Subaru stock filters are Fram Orange painted blue. They work well enough.

Personally I'm a fan of the Fram Ultras, excellent flow, excellent filtering, and not scary expensive.

As for oil...

If it's stock, pick a proper synthetic at the required weight and don't fuss too much over the engine oil. If under warranty always follow the oil change recommendation.

As for ATF, Valvoline Maxlife is solid and not boutique oil prices.

If it's for a manual transmission, Redline MTL or whichever weight is right for yours.

Gear oil, I'm a Redline fan boy, if the diff doesn't use a clutch type LSD, get the NS fluid, as it lacks the friction modifier for the clutches.

With Toyota, they make their profits on everything else you come in for. The stock Toyota filters are Thai or Chinese Denso FTF filters, they aren't great at filtering but they flow well. Toyota 0w20 at one point was one of the best 0w20 oils you could get too. I believe it's still well rated.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2019, 07:26 PM   #10
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Subaru OEM filters for the FA20 are not Fram. At least not the Black filters.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 09:04 AM   #11
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Subaru OEM filters for the FA20 are not Fram. At least not the Black filters.
Hmm... You are right, the blue filters for the EJ are Fram or Honeywell(ewwww)

Black and made in Japan, Tokyo Roki. Those are some nice filters.

A link I found for Subie oil filters:

https://www.subaruforester.org/threa...n.99130/page-2

I run a Fram Ultra on the Legacy and it works really well there. Unfortunately dealers up here charge highway robbery prices for parts.

Heatware
Old Dec 9, 2019, 02:51 PM   #12
huskylord
Radeon Arctic Islands

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

One of many mistakes I've made in doing stuff to my cars was when i replaced the oil filter without realizing the old gasket stuck to the oil cooler. Driving on the highway and then saw the oil light come on. Basically left a trail of oil all over Toronto....but engine still has held through over a decade.
huskylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2019, 03:07 PM   #13
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

The main concern with some 3rd Party filters is that sometimes they will be made to fit a variety of vehicles. In most cases, this can be fine. However, if you have a vehicle where the space for the oil filter has to be more exact, sometimes the 3rd Party filters can be more of a pain (i.e. they may be taller than your specific OEM filter which makes it difficult to install and/or remove later).
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2019, 03:19 PM   #14
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21 View Post
Hmm... You are right, the blue filters for the EJ are Fram or Honeywell(ewwww)

Black and made in Japan, Tokyo Roki. Those are some nice filters.

A link I found for Subie oil filters:

https://www.subaruforester.org/threa...n.99130/page-2

I run a Fram Ultra on the Legacy and it works really well there. Unfortunately dealers up here charge highway robbery prices for parts.
Yeah. It's pretty much consensus that the Subaru OEM filters for the FA are some of the highest quality filters on the market. Also, Honeywell bought out Fram in the late 60s IIRC, so they're the same thing.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 07:52 PM   #15
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2019, 08:21 PM   #16
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Sounds like Fram did pretty good. Who knows. I used Royal Purple in the past and was always satisfied with it.
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2019, 09:36 AM   #17
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I think people like to pick a bad guy when it comes to stuff like this, and Fram is that one. I've never had a problem with Fram, but I admit I've had second thoughts when buying because of Internet outrage against them.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2019, 05:28 PM   #18
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Yeah. It's pretty much consensus that the Subaru OEM filters for the FA are some of the highest quality filters on the market. Also, Honeywell bought out Fram in the late 60s IIRC, so they're the same thing.
Nope Honeywell spun off Fram a while back. Fram got bought by Trico this year, so there's a lot of worries about cost cutting affecting filter quality.

Heatware
Old Dec 10, 2019, 05:30 PM   #19
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I think people like to pick a bad guy when it comes to stuff like this, and Fram is that one. I've never had a problem with Fram, but I admit I've had second thoughts when buying because of Internet outrage against them.
Fram Orange Cans were cheap and filtered well enough, but they were built to a price. Purolator filters have been tear happy for 5 or 6 years,. But Orange Can of Death is still a thing.

Heatware
Old Dec 11, 2019, 09:38 AM   #20
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytprice View Post
Sounds like Fram did pretty good. Who knows. I used Royal Purple in the past and was always satisfied with it.
I mean, the construction of the filter will make a difference, but at the end of the day how "sturdy" it feels doesn't mean it does a good job of filtering out foreign elements in your engine oil. I'm trying to find this oil+filter review I found of a guy who did hours upon hours of independent research on which oil was the best in terms of wear rating, quality, etc. I used to have it bookmarked but now it's not there
Old Dec 11, 2019, 07:24 PM   #21
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Filter element size is a huge advantage...

I would definitely avoid K&N, as much as I like their air filters.
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2019, 03:54 PM   #22
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

Beware these roads lead down the Bitog rabbit hole...

More about lube and filters than you ever wanted to know.

K&N air filters for gas engines are crap. AEM Dryflow ftw! Ironically the K&N white cans are the same filters as Amsoil, RP, and a few other boutique filters.

Heatware

Last edited by gamefoo21 : Dec 12, 2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:28 AM   #23
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I have always stuck with WIX Premium Filter and Rotella T6. lol.