Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Feb 4, 2021, 08:12 AM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Its amazing how almost perfect blacks make the picture pop on OLED. Kind of want to make it my main tv/monitor but don't want to go down to 55", looks small next to my Sony 65". Suppose to get the DP to HDMI 2.1 adapter on Friday, not holding my breath as I see a lot of negative reviews on it.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2021, 08:15 AM   #62
KAC
RGB mofo, do you have it!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Throw the Sony out.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2021, 11:01 AM   #63
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

The Sony is only horrible as a 120Hz PC monitor.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 4, 2021, 12:09 PM   #64
KAC

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
The Sony is only horrible as a 120Hz PC monitor.
Are you saying it matches the OLED in picture quality for regular television?
No.

Ok throw it out and grab a 65 inch. You know it’s the right thing to do. It was the right thing to do when I told you that months ago as well.

Old Feb 4, 2021, 12:20 PM   #65
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Are you saying it matches the OLED in picture quality for regular television?
No.

Ok throw it out and grab a 65 inch. You know it’s the right thing to do. It was the right thing to do when I told you that months ago as well.

The Sony isn't that bad.

Until you see the CX in action
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2021, 12:47 PM   #66
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

The Sony isn't bad, period. Some people like to exagerate because they have a bias and likely have never even really seen it in action.

They are great TV's. In fact, I struggled to see the difference between that and my CX48" unless it was literally a screen surrounded in black. Even then, it's not THAT crazy. I'd bet anything most of the people here wouldn't be able to tell the difference in most scenes unless they were side by side. The Sony has true blacks too. It's literally OFF just like the OLED. Only difference being slight blooming if it actually happen to get to a scene were black meets a brilliant white/light colored object due to the arrays in the back. In fact there are things that I like better about it, like this screen constantly dimming and never getting as bright.

I have them both here, and nobody has ever seen a post from me saying OMG THE IMAGE QUALITY ON OLED IS SO MUCH BETTER! Come on...

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2021, 01:24 PM   #67
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Sony is definitely not bad and using it as a web browsing or gamming 60Hz monitor is fine. Picture is nice, Blacks are not bad but definitely not on par with the OLED when you have them both on and looking at them at the same time. When your not dealing with a mostly black picture the difference isn't that huge.

No more TV's for me, I have TV's coming out my ass from years of TV buying. I currently have 8 TV's with 3 I still use, 4 others that still work and I still have my broken OLED I haven't tossed out, got it in my head that I was going to piece it out and sell the boards on eBay! Never happened. I'm not big on the idea of people coming over to buy on say Facebook or craigslist so they sit. 2 of them are projection TV's and I don't believe anyone would want those huge heavy beasts. Maybe for free.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 01:49 PM   #68
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

The blacks on the Sony are exactly the same as any OLED. There are many times I went upstairs to the TV and turned it off...thinking it was already off. It wasn't...it was just black and on my desktop. It's 100% pure black/off.

Unless you just meant it's not on par with the blacks with regards to the bloom. Then yes, totally agree.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Feb 4, 2021, 02:44 PM   #69
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
The blacks on the Sony are exactly the same as any OLED. There are many times I went upstairs to the TV and turned it off...thinking it was already off. It wasn't...it was just black and on my desktop. It's 100% pure black/off.

Unless you just meant it's not on par with the blacks with regards to the bloom. Then yes, totally agree.
I don't know, it really doesn't compare in dark scenes as the LED's are always going to light up more then they should. Yea if the screen is black the zone is off, but that really doesn't make the blacks the same as an OLED as you still need the LED on when something is in that zone. At least with the 65" X900H its only 30 zones and I can tell when each zone turns on while moving my mouse around on certain backgrounds. Also I don't call the OLEDS perfect at black as they do get black crush at times. Now IPS is a whole other story as I abandoned that tech as blacks are terrible on it.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 03:45 PM   #70
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
I don't know, it really doesn't compare in dark scenes as the LED's are always going to light up more then they should. Yea if the screen is black the zone is off, but that really doesn't make the blacks the same as an OLED as you still need the LED on when something is in that zone. At least with the 65" X900H its only 30 zones and I can tell when each zone turns on while moving my mouse around on certain backgrounds. Also I don't call the OLEDS perfect at black as they do get black crush at times. Now IPS is a whole other story as I abandoned that tech as blacks are terrible on it.
I think we are saying the same thing. I'm calling it bloom, which is what you get from that light either bleeding into the zone next to it, or turning on for the specific zone it needs.

My only point is that it's not a BAD tv.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Feb 4, 2021, 07:54 PM   #71
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Quote:
I think we are saying the same thing. I'm calling it bloom, which is what you get from that light either bleeding into the zone next to it, or turning on for the specific zone it needs.

My only point is that it's not a BAD tv.
I agree as a regular TV there's nothing wrong with it, its just their HDMI 2.1 features that have been promised and not delivered from last May, and I'm still not convinced they will deliver.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 11:55 AM   #72
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

I really want the 77" for wall mounted home theater gaming but damn that is expensive.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2021, 11:58 AM   #73
acroig
Master Mod Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
I really want the 77" for wall mounted home theater gaming but damn that is expensive.
65" and up gets expensive.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2021, 12:07 PM   #74
KAC

Newegg has the 77 for about 3.5 Gs.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 12:26 PM   #75
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

My buddy got the 77 and loves it. I told him don't ever cry poor to me, ever again
Old Feb 5, 2021, 01:10 PM   #76
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Well first impressions of the club3D 4K 120Hz DP to HDMI 2.1 adapter are not bad at 60Hz. Plugged in and was surprised I didn't half to jack around with it and I'm back at 4K 60Hz HDR and at the moment that is good enough as this X900H still doesn't support HDMI 2.1 features at this point. Although from what I hear the problems begin with this adapter at 120Hz. Also it states it only supports a 6Ft cable, mine is 10Ft and is working fine at 60Hz. I guess we will see if this Sony actually ever gets HDMI 2.1 features. Their supposed 4K 120Hz is not usable at this point in my eyes with the line doubling or whatever they are doing to make it look like chit!
Old Feb 5, 2021, 03:46 PM   #77
Higgy10

Higgy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
The Sony isn't bad, period. Some people like to exagerate because they have a bias and likely have never even really seen it in action.

They are great TV's. In fact, I struggled to see the difference between that and my CX48" unless it was literally a screen surrounded in black. Even then, it's not THAT crazy. I'd bet anything most of the people here wouldn't be able to tell the difference in most scenes unless they were side by side. The Sony has true blacks too. It's literally OFF just like the OLED. Only difference being slight blooming if it actually happen to get to a scene were black meets a brilliant white/light colored object due to the arrays in the back. In fact there are things that I like better about it, like this screen constantly dimming and never getting as bright.

I have them both here, and nobody has ever seen a post from me saying OMG THE IMAGE QUALITY ON OLED IS SO MUCH BETTER! Come on...
hmm im eyeballing the 65" cx to replace my sony(we had the same model i think) I have to shell out alot of cash and that doesnt inspire confidence
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2021, 03:47 PM   #78
Higgy10

Higgy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
65" and up gets expensive.
ya $2700 loonies for it here
Old Feb 5, 2021, 04:04 PM   #79
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

65 inch oled definitely worth it for the living room experience. I got a 65 c7 and I wont go back to non oled again. Turning off all the lights to get that movie experience and self lit pixels make it look much better in the dark when compared to non oled tvs.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2021, 04:13 PM   #80
KAC

Newegg has the 65 inch for less than 2 Gs right now.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 04:22 PM   #81
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy10 View Post
hmm im eyeballing the 65" cx to replace my sony(we had the same model i think) I have to shell out alot of cash and that doesnt inspire confidence
My Sony is an X900F. The OLED is still better, don't get me wrong. But the way some guys constantly say how BAD it is, is just silly. It's not. The reviews on it are outstanding. Just because there is something a little better, doesn't suddenly make the other one garbage.

For a movie and console game experience, I'd go OLED for sure after owning the LG CX. I haven't found anything at all that I don't like about it besides peak brightness (the Sony is way better with that). In certain scenes in movies, it does make a difference. I honestly don't know about colors and HDR. In theory, the OLED should be better...obviously. But without having the TV side by side...I can't tell a freakin' difference enough to blow me away or suddenly take notice.

As a PC monitor. I still worry about burn in, and the constant dimming is irritating AF.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Feb 5, 2021, 04:42 PM   #82
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I compare the OLED to a mid range LCD tv and its night and day. I have a mid range LCD in my bedroom and when I watch tv on it coming from the OLED in the living room im just like ughhh.I cant speak for the sony though as I have never seen that one.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2021, 05:08 PM   #83
kboye
9700PRO RIP

kboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Monitor

Got to say this, the natural and "analogue" image of the the Sony SXRD projector is just sublime. None of that low resolution low gamma nonsense of my CX (gradient banding/low res dithering on fades/transitions or chroma "overshoot" at low contrast or or light). It's not 4K, HDR, VRR, 120Hz, and at 20ms or so with a bulb that needs replacement it ain't PC friendly But man am I glad I kept the projector. But damn, now I need two sets of speakers, two AVRs

Edit: and now I plan to get another 55" CX for gaming, just like last time in 2018 with a B7. Because I can't find a better monitor. aaaarrrrrrrrgggggg, why would I do this to myself
Old Feb 6, 2021, 04:40 AM   #84
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
My Sony is an X900F. The OLED is still better, don't get me wrong. But the way some guys constantly say how BAD it is, is just silly. It's not. The reviews on it are outstanding. Just because there is something a little better, doesn't suddenly make the other one garbage.

For a movie and console game experience, I'd go OLED for sure after owning the LG CX. I haven't found anything at all that I don't like about it besides peak brightness (the Sony is way better with that). In certain scenes in movies, it does make a difference. I honestly don't know about colors and HDR. In theory, the OLED should be better...obviously. But without having the TV side by side...I can't tell a freakin' difference enough to blow me away or suddenly take notice.

As a PC monitor. I still worry about burn in, and the constant dimming is irritating AF.
I've seen them side by side. The day I bought the CX I was actually going for the Sony or a Samsung Q90T. Bestbuys website showed the CX out of stock constantly and I was tired of waiting for a screen.

In BB, it was one of the big Magnolia stores, the Sony looked really nice as did the Samsung, but even after tinkering with them a bit there was a very slight faded or washed out look to them, next to the OLED. If they weren't right next to each other (less than 15' apart) I don't think it would have been noticeable.

yes, it's still a beautiful TV, but Nascar's experience with updates that he posted here and, seeing that OLED in action, it wasn't a tough choice. When a company as large as Sony promises features, and sells sets based on those incoming features but then doesn't deliver...kind of a deal breaker.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 06:42 AM   #85
Higgy10

Quote:

I know the sony isnt bad, ive had mine for 2 years

it will be 95% movies and sports and 5% gaming at most. I wish i knew someone with one to see it in action. Cant go into the stores these days to look which is a bummer
Old Feb 6, 2021, 10:03 AM   #86
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Subscriber

What settings do I need for a custom resolution of 3840x1440? I want bars at the top and bottom.
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2021, 04:43 PM   #87
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzer View Post
What settings do I need for a custom resolution of 3840x1440? I want bars at the top and bottom.
All you need to adjust is in the NVidia Control Panel

Open it up, choose Change Resolution, Customize, Create Custom Resolution. Type in your Horizontal/Vertical numbers, hit test. You'll see it's exactly what you wanted with bars top and bottom. Hit yes or OK. Make sure it shows up in the resolution options in the Choose Resolution main screen you started from.

When using a custom resolution like that, I always set it in Windows before going in game. If you don't do that, most games will try to stretch it to full 4k screen.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Feb 6, 2021, 05:00 PM   #88
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
When using a custom resolution like that, I always set it in Windows before going in game. If you don't do that, most games will try to stretch it to full 4k screen.
Go to "Adjust Desktop Size and Position" and change the scaling mode to "No Scaling", and then check "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs"

That should stop applications from enforcing aspect ratios, and allow you to use 3840x2160 when on the desktop.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2021, 07:25 PM   #89
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Awesome, thanks Nunz!

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Feb 6, 2021, 07:52 PM   #90
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Subscriber

mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote