Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Front Page News
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Front Page News News and Rage3D articles as it appears on the frontpage.

Old Feb 19, 2005, 12:46 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
C1awHamm3r
Rage3D Veteran

C1awHamm3r is still being judged by the masses

ATI Technologies ATI cancels "Built By ATI" Radeon X850 in favour of Partners

ATi will not be making its own video cards, instead letting its partners make the cards.

ATi has stated that it will not be making any X850 series of cards for the time being. This leaves people who pre-ordered the Built By ATi (BBATi) cards out of luck. ATi has offered to change their orders to the X800XL, which is a slower part.

"When allocating products, we prioritize our partners first followed by our own ati.com store. When we have a product that is highly sought after, like the RADEON X850 XT, this can cause a delay in shipping product out to our ati.com customers," said Patricia Mikula, a spokeswoman for ATI, in an interview with X-bit labs.

"In this instance we felt that our ati.com customers could get the product they wanted faster from one of our partners, so we advised them of stores that have the RADEON X850 available and cancelled their ati.com order so they could freely purchase the card elsewhere. For customers that wished to continue with a purchase from ati.com, we made a special offer available to them to thank them for their patience," Ms. Mikula added.

There are quite a few online stores that have X850 stock now.

Source: X-bit labs

Case: Thermaltake Xaser III (Silver)
PSU: Thermaltake Pure Power 420Watts
Processor: AMD Athlon 64-bit 3700+ 1MB Cache Socket 754
Mobo: Gigabyte K8NS Pro nForce3 250 Chipset
Ram: Mushkin PC3200 2x512MB 2.5-4-4-7
Video Card: Radeon 9100
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Harddrives: 1x36.7GB Raptor, 1xWD1600BB
C1awHamm3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 06:33 AM   #2
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird sings

Ati must be going through some tough times to take such a drastic measure....
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 08:56 AM   #3
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

It doesn't sound like ATI has stopped making "built by ati" cards, just that they have stopped selling them through the ati.com store.

EDITED SO THAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY READ

Last edited by Clockwork : Feb 19, 2005 at 12:49 PM.
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 19, 2005, 10:14 AM   #4
Shrink
Radeon Southern Islands

Shrink is still being judged by the masses

Isn't this kind of similar to what 3dfx did months before their demise?? Nahh - that would never happen to ATI!

System Specs: P4 3.2C @ 3.6 ghz; Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo; BBA X850XT; 2 GB Kingston DDR; SB X-Fi Gamer; 2 WD 250GB HD; Plextor 712a; Sapphire Theatrix ATI Theater 550 PCI card; BenQ FP2091 LCD; and WinXP MCE2005
Shrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:42 AM   #5
Someotherdude
Radeon Evergreen

Someotherdude is still being judged by the masses

3dfx was the opposite, they cut off all their partners by buying one of them STB, and started making their own cards.
Someotherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 12:35 PM   #6
Lucifa'

Question

So now you have to buy the ATi CD to get ATi DVD Player up'n runnin' besides the card with the useless PowerDVD? (That's what most retailers supply as an DVD Player in my opinion)
Old Feb 19, 2005, 12:40 PM   #7
tristancarton
Radeon Sea Islands

tristancarton is still being judged by the masses

i like powerdvd better than ati dvd. not sure why that is a problem.(the ati one uses a cyberlink decoder) in addition you have the old windows media player you can use which has a built in dvd player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifa'
So now you have to buy the ATi CD to get ATi DVD Player up'n runnin' besides the card with the useless PowerDVD? (That's what most retailers supply as an DVD Player in my opinion)
Primary: dfi ut250gb / a64 mobile 3400 62w clawhammer / 3x512mb pdp xbl tccd / WD 120Gb 7200 8Mb x2, RAID0 / 250Gb WD 7200 8Mb external / Sound Blaster 2 ZS Plat. / HDTV Wonder / 2xTheater 550 pro / Pioneer dvr105 / Pioneer dvd115 / Visiontek x800xt / Antec 550w Truepower / Logitech z680 / IBM p260 21" FD Trinitron x2 / Windows XP-MCE2005, Legal Version

Secondary: dell xps m170 / 2.0 Ghz pentium-m / 1024mb / 120Gb 5400rpm / 7800 gtx go / 1920x1200 trubrite
tristancarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 12:41 PM   #8
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Am I missing something here?

Old Feb 19, 2005, 02:39 PM   #9
Wotan81
Radeon Northern Islands

Wotan81 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifa'
Depends of whay brand and product you buy. My sister got the latest version of ATI MMC and DVD-player with her Hightec (HIS) 9600 XT All In Wonder.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 02:56 PM   #10
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork
Am I missing something here?

Yes. They have stopped making their X850 series of cards.. and went right to the midrange (X800XL) manufacturing.

This means that they can not churn out X850 chipsets fast enough to supply their OEMs and themselves so they cut themselves out of the loop.

A decision like this cannot mean anything good.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 03:21 PM   #11
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79
Yes. They have stopped making their X850 series of cards.. and went right to the midrange (X800XL) manufacturing.

This means that they can not churn out X850 chipsets fast enough to supply their OEMs and themselves so they cut themselves out of the loop.

A decision like this cannot mean anything good.

Please tell me where it states that in the article.

(see my first post)

Old Feb 19, 2005, 03:34 PM   #12
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Quote:
Please tell me where it states that in the article.

(see my first post)

Read the article:
Quote:
ATi has stated that it will not be making any X850 series of cards for the time being. This leaves people who pre-ordered the Built By ATi (BBATi) cards out of luck. ATi has offered to change their orders to the X800XL, which is a slower part.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 03:52 PM   #13
shockwave
canucklehead

shockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyshockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
EDITED SO THAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY READ
Quote:
Read the article:

i couldn't help but laugh
shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 03:57 PM   #14
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Read the article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave
i couldn't help but laugh
That wasn't in the article. That was typed by C1awHamm3r.

Smartass.

You sure pwn3d me.....

Last edited by Clockwork : Feb 19, 2005 at 04:07 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 04:30 PM   #15
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

for those of u who dont bother clicking on links (aka dumbasses) here is the article in its entirety (sp?). Notice no mention that ATI isnt producing cards just that they cancelled the online orders.

Quote:
ATI Cancels “Built by ATI” RADEON X850 Orders in Favour of Partners.
ATI Allocates RADEON X850 Graphics Cards for AIB Partners, Rejects Orders

Category: Video

by Anton Shilov

[ 02/18/2005 | 05:40 PM ]

ATI Technologies, a leading graphics chip designer who also sells its own graphics cards in the U.S. and Canada, recently cancelled pre-orders on its top-of-the-range ATI RADEON X850-series graphics cards for at least some of its customers and offered them to get RADEON X800 XL products instead. The company said the move had been done in order to fulfill the demand for the new lineup of products from the company’s partners.

“I ordered a [RADEON] X850 XT from ATI.com on December 1st as soon as it was announced. I just received an e-mail today that they cancelled my order,” one customer of shop.ati.com said in a forum of Rage3D.com web-site.

“We are sorry to inform you that we will no longer be able to fulfill your current order on the RADEON X850 XT. The RADEON X800 PLATINUM is available in limited supply at our retailer partners such as Best Buy and CompUSA. In addition, we have only begun to start taking pre-orders on the latest RADEON X800XL. There are a limited number of these units so if you would like to place your order please do so at your earliest convenience,” an email to the customer from ShopATI Customer Care reads.

The reason for the cancellation of orders was ATI’s target to deliver enough RADEON X850-series products to its partners, among which are add-in-board partners, retail and e-tail partners as well as OEM partners.

“When allocating products, we prioritize our partners first followed by our own ati.com store. When we have a product that is highly sought after, like the RADEON X850 XT, this can cause a delay in shipping product out to our ati.com customers,” said Patricia Mikula, a spokeswoman for ATI, in an interview with X-bit labs.

“In this instance we felt that our ati.com customers could get the product they wanted faster from one of our partners, so we advised them of stores that have the RADEON X850 available and cancelled their ati.com order so they could freely purchase the card elsewhere. For customers that wished to continue with a purchase from ati.com, we made a special offer available to them to thank them for their patience,” Ms Mikula added.

The latest ATI RADEON X850 XT Platinum Edition graphics processors and PCI Express x16 graphics cards on their base are presently positioned as top offerings from ATI Technologies and its add-in-card partners. The RADEON X850 XT Platinum Edition visual processing unit has 16 pixel pipelines and 6 vertex pipelines and is clocked at 540MHz, typically graphics cards are equipped with 256MB of GDDR3 memory with 256-bit interface and 1180MHz memory bus. ATI RADEON X850 XT graphics card has similar chip clocked at 520MHz and 256MB of GDDR3 memory operating at 1080MHz.

ATI RADEON X850 XT Platinum Edition is currently considered the world’s faster graphics card for 3D applications, its MSRP is $549, while the RADEON X850 XT costs around $499.

Tens of online stores offered ATI RADEON X850 XT and XT Platinum Edition for $500 - $600 at press-time. The majority had the graphics cards in stock and were ready to ship the products in several days to buyers.

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 04:31 PM   #16
DnL
HD3850 AGP 512MB

DnL is still being judged by the masses

Lightbulb

so no BBA AIW X850XT either?

phear
Old Feb 19, 2005, 05:00 PM   #17
Snarl
Radeon R420

Snarl is still being judged by the masses

Sounds like a logical step, it makes no business sense to compete against your partners (think 3Dfx). If ATI concentrates on new product, drivers etc.. I'd be happy. Look at NVidia (And yes, NVidia is a strong company with an excellent product, just like ATI), same thing.

IMHO

Another Guy From Canada
Snarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 06:03 PM   #18
Shrink
Radeon Southern Islands

Shrink is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someotherdude
3dfx was the opposite, they cut off all their partners by buying one of them STB, and started making their own cards.
If memory serves, they started building their own cards with the V3000 series of cards which were excellent cards. At the same time they cut off their relationship with Creative Labs and other OEM's. I don't think that is what did them in. A year after they did that, I believe they flip flopped and tried to go back to chips-only and then the bottom fell out.

System Specs: P4 3.2C @ 3.6 ghz; Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo; BBA X850XT; 2 GB Kingston DDR; SB X-Fi Gamer; 2 WD 250GB HD; Plextor 712a; Sapphire Theatrix ATI Theater 550 PCI card; BenQ FP2091 LCD; and WinXP MCE2005
Shrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 06:28 PM   #19
C1awHamm3r
Rage3D Veteran

C1awHamm3r is still being judged by the masses

Actually I didn't type that I took it from the article. I just used a different heading then what they used.

Case: Thermaltake Xaser III (Silver)
PSU: Thermaltake Pure Power 420Watts
Processor: AMD Athlon 64-bit 3700+ 1MB Cache Socket 754
Mobo: Gigabyte K8NS Pro nForce3 250 Chipset
Ram: Mushkin PC3200 2x512MB 2.5-4-4-7
Video Card: Radeon 9100
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Harddrives: 1x36.7GB Raptor, 1xWD1600BB
C1awHamm3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 08:20 PM   #20
Ratchet
The Tool

Ratchet is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Old Feb 20, 2005, 08:20 PM   #21
Dred
Rage3D Veteran

Dred is still being judged by the masses

Hey you got something against non link clickers? they have rights too, they were born that way they can't help it. Lay off them poor souls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalfthewhite
for those of u who dont bother clicking on links (aka dumbasses) here is the article in its entirety (sp?). Notice no mention that ATI isnt producing cards just that they cancelled the online orders.
  • X800XT PE CAT 5.8 old cp
  • Plextor SATA 16x DL DVD burner
  • Raptor 36 + Maxtor 120 SATAs
  • ALtec Lansing MX5021 Spkrs
  • ATI TV Wonder VE (Using Showshifter)
  • Next system X2!
Dred is offline   Reply With Quote