Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 30, 2010, 08:50 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Default Yet another monitor question...

So i got some gift cards for a local pc shop and im thinking about upping my monitor. Im currently running an Dell 2405 which other than a "slight" discolouring is starting to show at the sides, all is fine and dandy. Tho looking through many of the specs there's hardly any 16x10 (1920x1200) 24". So im looking at the NEC EA231WMI-BK but now im dropping to a 23" and down to 1920x1080, will i suffer a great deal of loss in real-estate space on my desktop due to the downsizing? I was initially looking at the Asus 27" but it too is only 1920x1080 so the text is not as crisp. Everything else looked fine tho.

Ugh... why is looking for a screen this bloody tedious!!

So, will dropping down to a 23" @ 1920x1080 from a 24" 1920x1200 will make my work area feel squished?
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 08:57 AM   #2
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

No.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 09:04 AM   #3
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

There isn't much noticeable difference. I feel 1920x1080 is a much natural widescreen than 1920x1200 but to be brutally honest, that's mainly perpetuated by marketing and the current status quo.

Put me in front of a 16:10 screen vs a 16:9 screen and label them opposite, I'll probably be spilling another bs story.

So get the 16:10 screen for the extra screen real estate obviously. There's no real reason to go 1080p unless you have OCD and want your HD videos to fit... which is entirely pointless.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 30, 2010, 03:37 PM   #4
Qualitier
UltraRacer PC forever

Qualitier is still being judged by the masses

No, I would never take a 16:10 for a 16:9 nor vice-versa. If they put me in that training proof for policemen, soldiers, etc where you have to shoot (and fast) at the enemies but not at the civilians etc, but with 16:9 and 16:10 monitors instead of pictures of enemies and civilians, I would pass it brilliantly fast and with zero errors .

Imo 16:9 is fine enough for TV and video, possibly games too. It has some tendency to look as if you were seeing the world through a horizontal split (an effect that I don't feel with 16:10) but we're also used to see films that have even more horizontal formats (here, one of the main TV stations that transmit live football matches, and not for free, does it using a more horizontal format than 16:9, so you get black bars after having paid!; I used to think that it's to give a "cinema look", but possibly it's to get increased video compression quality).

As for browsing (vertical forums like this, news webs,...), writing text etc I think I wouldn't have problems with the 16:9 format in itself, but I'd miss the additional vertical resolution. Going from my [email protected] (used during 11 years) to my current 1920x1200 LCD didn't make any big difference in these activities, and I think it would have been the same with a hypothetical 2133x1200 res, but not with 1920x1080. I would have noticed the cut.

A feature that I loved from my LCD is its larger size, 26" vs 19->18" of my CRT.

So, in short, I wouldn't do that downgrade. From that web I'd consider these 1920x1200 larger ones instead (in order of preference):

- ASUS VW266H 25.5" Widescreen. Seems to be a TN. Some TN's do have good colors but some don't, so you'd need to know about it in advance. What they don't use to have is good angles, but that's not a concern for many.

- Acer X263Wbi Widescreen 25.5". Another TN, so same as above. I like this one less for its higher brightness (350 vs 300 cd/m2 aka nits), its less trustable brand if you ask me, and its too low price. But it could turn out to be actually better, specially in color quality that is truly random with TN's (although it doesn't depend on the sample afaik, only in the model).

- NEC MultiSync EA261WM-BK 26". This is a PVA (according to NEC and to its price tag, although the response time looks TN-ish lol) so it should have comparable color quality to what you have now. It's also much more expensive. I don't like its brightness of 400 nits though.

Windows XP 32 pro + Windows Vista 32 Ultimate, CCC + ATi Tray Tools
Club3D HD4890 Superclocked Edition (950/1050·4) with Accelero S1 rev2 + Turbo Module (2 80mm low-profile fans w/o frame)
LCD Samsung SyncMaster T260 (26", 1920x1200)
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P (socket AM3, chipset AMD-790FX)
Phenom II X4 955-BE @ stock
4x2GB Geil DDR3-1333 7-7-7-24-33 1.5V @ 1333MHz 7-7-7-24-33-1T 1.6V; dual channel enabled; unganged mode
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 with gameport, AverMedia AVerTV Hybrid Super007
2x WD 640GB Caviar Blue (SATA) in RAID 0, DVD reader (IDE), 2 DVD recorders (SATA+IDE), floppy drive, card reader
Corsair VX-550W, one +12V x 41A rail, 81-85% efficiency

Windows XP 32 pro, no CCC, ATi Tray Tools
Sapphire X1950pro 512MB AGP (580/702·2 MHz) with Accelero X2
CRT Nokia 446Xpro (19", 107 kHz) @ 1600x1200x75Hz (desktop) or 1280x1024x85Hz (games)
Asrock AM2NF3-VSTA (nForce3 250); [email protected] MHz (motherboard limitation, 3216MB/s up + 3216MB/s down)
Athlon64 X2 5000+ Brisbane (@13*201=2613MHz)
2x2GB Buffalo 2.1V + 2x1GB Kingston 2.0V, both DDR2-800 [email protected] 2*373MHz (2613/7) 4-4-4-12-2T 2.0V; dual channel enabled
56k modem, drives etc
Corsair VX-450W, one +12V x 33A rail, 81-85% efficiency
190W maximum consumption from the wall (monitor apart)
Qualitier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 04:58 PM   #5
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

I'd ignore aspect ratio. The difference really isn't worth fretting over in my experience.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 09:37 PM   #6
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Thanks for the suggestion guys... Qual i looked at some of those and i just found that the NEC was over my budget. That Asus model i initially wondered about but when i seen it live i wasnt too thrilled about the quality. When i made my initial post about checking out the Asus 27" i accidently made an error, it wasnt the 27" that i looked at but it was that model that you suggested. Im not a huge Acer fan as ive had problems with them in the past at work.

So after heading off to a different location i actually played around with the Asus 27" and i was impressed with it so i grabbed it. Colours are great and the clarity was improved over the previous model that i looked at. I can tell the difference between 16:10 and 16:9 but its not a huge concern to me. I dont know if the size has something to do with it or if it just seems more natural to look at. I cant place my finger on it. But im glad for me its not as huge of a deal as i thought it would be. I miss having hight adjust but with how my chair and desk are line up it actually sits very well for me. No dead pixels as of yet and the colour calibration seems pretty good by default. Not sure if i like the auto light adjust, its always a little too dark for my liking. The different colour modes are ok, nothing special, some are a little too punchy/contrasty so as of now im just leaving it at default/standard. The stand is just ok, i mean it does the job but the monitor tends to wobble when i play around with the osd settings. Again nothing huge, but you do notice it. If you are on a small desk and with a lot of traffic around then it may become an issue.

Other than that, performance seems great, better than my Dell 2405. Its been on for a few hrs and there's pretty much no heat being released. Ill post some pics in a few mins...

Thanks again for everyones thoughts!

EDIT

Last edited by **G.I.BRO** : Dec 30, 2010 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Added imgs
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote