Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Aug 10, 2022, 03:07 PM   #871
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

i think RDNA 3 and Linda XXX are going to be a lot less than planned or what we thought

with the recession people aren't going to shell out 1500+ for cards that they don't really need .

and both AMD & NV know it
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2022, 03:46 PM   #872
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly once held a door open for a complete strangerSIrPauly once held a door open for a complete strangerSIrPauly once held a door open for a complete stranger

The key difference is there really isn't much miner demand but the multitudes of used hardware has to hurt new gpu sales currently, especially the expensive new sku's.

One may see the Nvidia gaming revenue decline of 44% may be more-so a miner decline than a gaming decline. It was difficult to see how much of the gaming segment was gamers or miners, but the 44% drop in gaming revenue offers a huge clue.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 03:55 PM   #873
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
i think RDNA 3 and Linda XXX are going to be a lot less than planned or what we thought

with the recession people aren't going to shell out 1500+ for cards that they don't really need .

and both AMD & NV know it
Lemme start a conspiracy theory here:

What if nV, seeing that people are not in a spending mood, rebrand the 4070 to a 4080? 4080 becomes 4090 and they keep the big, power hungry expensive chips for next year?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nv...ts-to-2800-mhz

Last edited by acroig : Aug 10, 2022 at 04:08 PM.
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 10, 2022, 04:03 PM   #874
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly once held a door open for a complete strangerSIrPauly once held a door open for a complete strangerSIrPauly once held a door open for a complete stranger

Imho,

The problem with that is AMD is very competitive and working hard on their ecosystem. It depends on what AMD and Intel offer moving forward.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 04:29 PM   #875
the_sextein
Radeon Southern Islands

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

I think SirPauly is correct, Nvidia doesn't know what AMD is going to do and they will want a strong power play served up first. If the 4090 is on a separate chip which I believe it will be, then it will probably serve the Titan class of cards which I also believe NV is trying to replace SLI with. Most likely the 4090 is going to be power hungry and a beast of a GPU. The mainstream of sales is where Nvidia is gonna be careful and try to keep losses at a minimum while appealing to the largest audience during an economic downturn.

I think they will keep the prices down and cut the costs of card production by lowering the high dollar requirements for production=less performance. I could be wrong but it seems sensible to me. They could clip the high end if it's straining the ability to produce enough supply for estimated demand but I don't see them wasting the design potential or hoping it will actually compete against AMD's next generation card after RDNA 3. They would have to be way too full of themselves to underestimate AMD that much. I wouldn't complain if they launched a 4080 and 4090 and then pushed out the TI versions with significant performance increases a year later like they did with the 980TI and 1080TI. If they have enough overshoot in the design it's possible. acriog could be correct about them sandbaging a little to boost later cards but I don't think the 4090 can or will drop because I think it's on a differant chip altogether and that chip won't be able to compete against RDNA 4 or whatever comes next.

Last edited by the_sextein : Aug 10, 2022 at 04:40 PM.
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2022, 04:42 PM   #876
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Lemme start a conspiracy theory here:

What if nV, seeing that people are not in a spending mood, rebrand the 4070 to a 4080? 4080 becomes 4090 and they keep the big, power hungry expensive chips for next year?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nv...ts-to-2800-mhz
that is what i was thinking also
Old Aug 10, 2022, 04:44 PM   #877
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sextein View Post
I think SirPauly is correct, Nvidia doesn't know what AMD is going to do and they will want a strong power play served up first. If the 4090 is on a separate chip which I believe it will be, then it will probably serve the Titan class of cards which I also believe NV is trying to replace SLI with. Most likely the 4090 is going to be power hungry and a beast of a GPU. The mainstream of sales is where Nvidia is gonna be careful and try to keep losses at a minimum while appealing to the largest audience during an economic downturn.

I think they will keep the prices down and cut the costs of card production by lowering the high dollar requirements for production=less performance. I could be wrong but it seems sensible to me. They could clip the high end if it's straining the ability to produce enough supply for estimated demand but I don't see them wasting the design potential or hoping it will actually compete against AMD's next generation card after RDNA 3. They would have to be way too full of themselves to underestimate AMD that much. I wouldn't complain if they launched a 4080 and 4090 and then pushed out the TI versions with significant performance increases a year later like they did with the 980TI and 1080TI. If they have enough overshoot in the design it's possible. acriog could be correct about them sandbaging a little to boost later cards but I don't think the 4090 can or will drop because I think it's on a differant chip altogether and that chip won't be able to compete against RDNA 4 or whatever comes next.
i think they talk all the time

and would be more than happy to both hold the top cards for next year together

say the 4080 ti and 4090 and the 7950 and 7975
Old Aug 10, 2022, 04:57 PM   #878
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

They probably have ideas but can be surprised as well. AMD's HD 4870 was a disruptive generation and forced Nvidia to drop prices very quickly -- Nvidia's GTX 680 was also a disruptive generation from an efficiency point-of-view early on.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 04:59 PM   #879
the_sextein
Radeon Southern Islands

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

If they sell a 4080 labeled as a 4090 and AMD comes along and smokes it, then they look incompetent and are forced to quickly replace the 4090 with the real 4090 anyway. Now that card cycles are releasing every two years instead of one, most people will upgrade at the start of the next gen release. If Nvidia wants to push the PC as far away from consoles as possible, it's in their best interest to get as many PC users on as high of a level of performance as possible. They will do this within reason of course. As SirPauly said, they have an ecosystem that they have to keep up on generation to generation across the entire spectrum of cards available. I don't see them wasting the potential of the 4080 or 4090 but I could see them pushing out the 4090 to establish dominance and then cutting the 4080 a little for price reasons and launching the full 4080 as a TI a year later. They probably have a rough idea of what AMD has got going on over there which is why they made the 4090 in the first place but they don't know how they will launch them or at what price point. They are always super cutthroat when it comes to that war.

Last edited by the_sextein : Aug 10, 2022 at 05:19 PM.
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2022, 05:22 PM   #880
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
They probably have ideas but can be surprised as well. AMD's HD 4870 was a disruptive generation and forced Nvidia to drop prices very quickly -- Nvidia's GTX 680 was also a disruptive generation from an efficiency point-of-view early on.
so did the 7970

but in times like now i bet they talk
Old Aug 10, 2022, 05:39 PM   #881
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

IMHO,

Must be difficult to control the information based on the AIB'S and where most of the leaks and sources may be. One may control the performance and features by holding back by the drivers and when it's close to release offer the review driver. Drivers may be the key!
Old Aug 10, 2022, 05:51 PM   #882
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
IMHO,

Must be difficult to control the information based on the AIB'S and where most of the leaks and sources may be. One may control the performance and features by holding back by the drivers and when it's close to release offer the review driver. Drivers may be the key!

that and
NV's AIB'S seem to leak more than AMD's but then also they just have engineering samples and they could light on performance to sandbag benchmark results

only after the paper launch and cards go to reviewers will leaks matter for performance