Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D)
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D) Home of the Team Rage3D [email protected] project. Get [email protected] info, download information, and details on how to join the Team. Team Rage3D progress updates posted here daily.

Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:49 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

Folding@home Interesting increase in PPD for GPU3 Client from Project 11264

so as you may or may not know i had abruptly stopped folding for a few days, and whilst returning.. the GPU3 project my GTX 460 was working on passed the deadline, so i got new work units...

well the current projects (P11264) is actually giving me quite a boost in ppd... 12.5k vs ~9.9k previously...

is there a reason for such a large difference?

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...banned?p=11264

Quote:
[email protected] project descriptions

Project 11264

P11214-11265: Test simulations of Fs peptide with gpu openmm-gromacs (Fermi boards)

These beta tests are to evaluate the performance of a new core (openmm-gromacs) on gpu with Generalized Born (GB) model used as implicit solvent. Different force fields and different inner dielectric constants are used for this set of simulations.

Points and deadlines:
project 11214-11265: 912 points, preferred deadline 14 days, final deadline 20 days

Last edited by erek : Oct 3, 2010 at 12:15 PM.
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Rad2owns
Rage3D Vet

Rad2owns is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by erek View Post
so as you may or may not know i had abruptly stopped folding for a few days, and whilst returning.. the GPU3 project my GTX 460 was working on passed the deadline, so i got new work units...

well the current projects (P11264) is actually giving me quite a boost in ppd... 12.5k vs ~9.9k previously...

is there a reason for such a large difference?

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...banned?p=11264
Im picking one up in the next few days.
If you Fold The Cure will Come!!!!!
Fold On Forever!!
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...00CC&c5=FFFFFF
Your Thoughts Will Define Your Destiny.
Hidden variables are everywhere.
BF3 KOz1
Rad2owns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Rad2owns
Rage3D Vet

Are you having any problems picking up new work units?
I turned back on the gpu client and so far no units picked up on my rig.
Fold On Forever!!
BF3 KOz1
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 3, 2010, 07:30 PM   #4
Rad2owns
Rage3D Vet

Problems picking up WUs are fixed.
Fold On Forever!!
BF3 KOz1
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:53 AM   #5
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

People are seeing a decrease in GPU temps + an increase in CPU usage with these WUs, leading one to speculate that more of the processing is being offloaded to the CPU - which may have the side-effect of increasing PPD (ie decreasing processing time).

Are you guys running -advmethods to get these? A higher PPD is often associated with test WUs, available with -advmethods before hitting the main WU pipelines.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 01:57 PM   #6
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
People are seeing a decrease in GPU temps + an increase in CPU usage with these WUs, leading one to speculate that more of the processing is being offloaded to the CPU - which may have the side-effect of increasing PPD (ie decreasing processing time).

Are you guys running -advmethods to get these? A higher PPD is often associated with test WUs, available with -advmethods before hitting the main WU pipelines.
im not...
but geez,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson
Based on the PPD increase, the GPU Temp decrease, the higher CPU usage (based on penalty to SMP2 / Bigadv on the same rig), as well as the fact that CPU clock speeds seem to have an effect on PPD, the general concensus among my teammates is that these WUs drop a fair bit more work to the CPU than the other Fermi WUs do which for some reason equates to higher PPD.

Personally on an OC'd GTS450 w/ CPU clockspeed 4G+ I see between 14.3K - 15.3K PPD on the -advmethods WUs.
even the GTS 450 is a folding machine... perhaps a SLI GTS 450 is more economical than even a SLI GTX 460....

PS. I went ahead and added the -advmethods argument to my GPU3 client

Last edited by erek : Oct 4, 2010 at 02:03 PM.
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 05:16 AM   #7
fishyuk
Radeon R100

fishyuk is still being judged by the masses

, not had time to troubleshoot but my GPU client has decided to give up the ghost. No system changes whatsoever and CPU client (which was what gave me issues on an undervolted system) is rock solid.

Will give it another go given the extra points mentioned, especially as my CPU keeps picking up the bleeping 921 point units that take ages so my PPD is down a lot.

Cheers

EDIT : Cleared and re-downloaded the client and so far so good. Might have been corrupted, might have been the new WU type. Anyway, will see if I get similar to Erek.
GeForce 460 occasional

Last edited by fishyuk : Oct 7, 2010 at 07:18 AM.
fishyuk is offline   Reply With Quote