Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D)
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D) Home of the Team Rage3D [email protected] project. Get [email protected] info, download information, and details on how to join the Team. Team Rage3D progress updates posted here daily.

Old Sep 6, 2010, 08:06 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default Bring New Members To The Folding Team

I have some ideas that we can do to try and bump up team numbers. Feel free to jump in with your own ideas and contributions!

#1 - Focus on participation, not numbers. We want bodies folding on whatever they have, with regular participation in the forums.

To that end, we don't want to discourage anyone from feeling like 'its not worth it'. Every Work Unit turned in before deadline is worth doing. So we need to be thinking about bringing the emphasis on participation, not numbers.

#2 - Promoting via social networks. This one is down to your own personal preferences for how you use social networks. I recommend once a week posting on your facebook, twitter or myspace etc. about your progress and how you feel you/the team are helping. A personalized update of how you are involved, that changes every time, is more likely to bring in new members or spread to others, than if you post the same 'Go Team 64! Ragin' Folders FTW!' every time.

For Rage3D, we can have a weekly update; every friday, someone (doesn't matter who), goes to the Folding Stats and posts up a 'hey look!' kinda post. Pick out a new person joined the team, or someone hitting a milestone. This might replace the monthly bragging threads; might not. We can also request for the Rage3D staff to use the @Rage3D twitter account and Facebook page to post updates as well.

This is not to say we shouldn't criticize that which we find lacking in the software. But we ought to give forth the opinion that we consider the effort worthwhile. Maybe we should make a new 'Why do you fold?' thread that everyone can post a little something in?

Please post your thoughts or comments, as you see fit.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 08:12 PM   #2
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

I have considered adding a 2nd gtx 460, but may wait til the next gen
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 09:59 PM   #3
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by erek View Post
I have considered adding a 2nd gtx 460, but may wait til the next gen
OK, that's great - but completely unrelated to the actual topic...
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:05 PM   #4
erek
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
OK, that's great - but completely unrelated to the actual topic...

I have some ideas that we can do to try and bump up team numbers. Feel free to jump in with your own ideas and contributions!
not to be a jerk, but it seems to be central to "bump up team numbers"... i am part of the team, and if my numbers increase, so does the team numbers...

an extra 10k ppd would be a nice addition,
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:16 PM   #5
Wascrash
Radeon R420

Wascrash is still being judged by the masses

lol I think he meant team member participation numbers. Anyhow great I would add the 460 for sure. I want to get one myself as I hear they are the new bang for the buck gpu folder. If you have it add it if ya can.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:19 PM   #6
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Right, but he's talking about how to encourage more people to the team, rather than discussing how each existing member can add more horsepower. Appreciate your enthusiasm erek, and think its great that you're wanting to increase your own productivity - and trying to focus this discussion on the topic of bringing in new members doesn't suggest otherwise.

I'd much rather have 300 members averaging 1k PPD than 30 members averaging 10k PPD. The productivity may be the same, but forum participation and recruiting activity would be vastly improved by having more people actively involved in the team.

Good ideas for a caveman.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:22 PM   #7
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Yes - we need 100 more people like Erek (........) rather than hoping for the next 'How...?' or 'burn_in'. Not to say that there is no value in long term monster farms like Jima, MDC, Lupine, but currently the #2 producer on the team is someone I have no idea who it is!
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:37 PM   #8
erek
Banned

Quote:
Yes - we need 100 more people like Erek (........) rather than hoping for the next 'How...?' or 'burn_in'. Not to say that there is no value in long term monster farms like Jima, MDC, Lupine, but currently the #2 producer on the team is someone I have no idea who it is!
*chuckle*
Old Sep 6, 2010, 11:13 PM   #9
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Yes- this is a good way to get people discussing and talking. We had lots of people trying to figure out who How...? and Burn_In were, so this is another good opportunity to add some mystery!
Old Sep 7, 2010, 08:45 AM   #10
aRandomRobot
Returned Lurker

aRandomRobot is still being judged by the masses

I think we need to make the [email protected] part of Rage a lot more visible (especially now, with the [email protected] sub-forum at the very bottom ). The only reason I originally found Team 64 was because I already knew what [email protected] was and I was actively seeking out a team.

I really think we need to put many more team updates on the main page; post a news item each week showing how many WUs and points the team produced in the past week, what teams are threatening us, as well as how many active users are folding (and of course a link to the getting started guide at the bottom). Something I'd really like to see though is a real time stats box kind of like in our sigs but on the main page and for the whole team.

Another thing that would help get people started would be to update the getting started guide with better, simpler information (it still says Linux VMs are recommended for running SMP clients ).

If we want to get people engaged we need a lot more than a single monthly thread tucked away where no one notices it.
aRandomRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 08:55 AM   #11
Cali77
Radeon HD3850 512

Cali77 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Yes- this is a good way to get people discussing and talking. We had lots of people trying to figure out who How...?
How? was a folding monster back in the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by aRandomRobot View Post
I think we need to make the [email protected] part of Rage a lot more visible (especially now, with the [email protected] sub-forum at the very bottom )
What's up with that? Can it at least be up higher than the very bottom?
Cali77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 09:15 AM   #12
erek
Banned

Quote:
I think we need to make the [email protected] part of Rage a lot more visible (especially now, with the [email protected] sub-forum at the very bottom ). The only reason I originally found Team 64 was because I already knew what [email protected] was and I was actively seeking out a team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali77 View Post
Agreed
Old Sep 7, 2010, 09:48 AM   #13
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

I think the forum is in the right spot. It's in with the rest of the site forums, which is a step up from being in its own isolated part.

As far as posting to the front page - the submit news forum is just for that; follow the news posting guidelines and create your own Team 64 news post.

@Cali77 - Yes, I know...
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:37 AM   #14
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali77 View Post
Until very recently, the forum section containing the DC forum was at the top of the forum listing. So forum placement really wasn't having much if any impact. Regardless, the reason for the shifting around (of all the forums, not just DC) is to improve overall layout as we prepare to move the site to vb4.

Site visibility, however, is absolutely key. Right now the site page has a direct link to the Folding forum, and the news forum has a Folding specific section to which anyone can post Folding related news (via submit news). Anything posted there hits the front page.

Coming up, along with the vb4 upgrade will see us move to a new CMS system, which will allow us a ridiculous amount of flexibility in designing a front page that allows us to advertise specific portions of the site, including some of the Folding Team specific ideas hitting this thread.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 02:23 PM   #15
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

I might back to folding again, but I think I need to get some MX-3 thermal grease for my laptop and I need a new bigger hard drive for it. For my desktop, maybe...but my parents wouldn't like that my rig stays on for 24/7 due to the power bill.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 04:28 PM   #16
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Then don't run it 24/7. Run it when you can, you don't have to be uber hardcore and run it all the time.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 07:16 PM   #17
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i'll be back in the 'fold' once winter hits. still have my ps3 and a gtx285 (and my old q6600 @ 3.2ghz.)

it's just too damn hot in the summer

Learn to embed videos in your posts, highlight text, and even post code!
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 09:25 AM   #18
fishyuk
Radeon R100

fishyuk is still being judged by the masses

Just joined the facebook page (didn't know it existed) and will try doing a post to my friends on joining FAH and will use the Rage3d installation instructions link though most of them will probably be very confused :-).

How about organising a "burn day" or "burn weekend' once a month or so via the Facebook page. Don't like leaving all my machines on and sure many are the same but would give a good excuse to go hell for leather for a laugh every now and then. Besides, get my new i7 laptop (1.83 quad HT) soon so naturally it will need stress testing.....
GeForce 460 occasional
fishyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:29 PM   #19
aRandomRobot
Returned Lurker

This may have already been discussed a while back, but what would be the feasibility/overhead of enabling the [email protected] stats box in all the forums instead of just in the [email protected] sub-forum? I'm pretty sure the added opportunity to waggle e-penis around will draw some more people on the team.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:32 PM   #20
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

I think if we do that we'll get a bunch of requests for image sigs, and griping about turning it off also turns off gamertag sigs in the gaming forums (they still work?).

Other than that I don't have any problem with it, doesn't bother me.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 09:30 PM   #21
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Not planning on folding myself, but I'll start tweeting and facebooking.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 09:42 PM   #22
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristogod View Post
Not planning on folding myself, but I'll start tweeting and facebooking.
Ahh **** it. I'll just start folding.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:31 PM   #23
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Ahh **** it. I'll just start folding.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 04:20 PM   #24
aRandomRobot
Returned Lurker

Folding@home

Quote:
I really think we need to put many more team updates on the main page; post a news item each week showing how many WUs and points the team produced in the past week, what teams are threatening us, as well as how many active users are folding
First weekly update is sitting in Submit News: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1336365296

What do you guys think? Since it's the first one there's a lot of extra stuff that probably won't be in future updates. If there's anything you'd like to see please let me know
Old Sep 12, 2010, 04:27 PM   #25
Lupine
Administrator

I approve of this message.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 07:52 AM   #26
luxor
Mendoza

luxor is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
First weekly update is sitting in Submit News: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1336365296

What do you guys think? Since it's the first one there's a lot of extra stuff that probably won't be in future updates. If there's anything you'd like to see please let me know
Great initiative!
luxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 08:44 AM   #27
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

So I think I'm going to just start asking people if they are interested in folding.

For instance, Exotic has a triple SLI 480 system. So I just asked him if he wanted to join us and fold for comradery and friendly competition. He seemed possibly interested by his response. So hopefully he'll come into the fold.

I think I'll keep up with this approach and see how it fairs. I don't want to put a ton of effort into searching and asking people, so I'll most likely seek out those who are looking to possibly belong to something and are capable of a decent amount of potential.

Also, I wonder if we couldn't come up with some type of a friendly process of creating incentives for people. For instance, we could make badges, banners or titles that could be earned by offering achievements that could be attained. They could range from highly competitive achievements to just random silly things. In addition to that, we could accept donations on things that we could give away to people for special achievements. For instance, when I got my last two video cards, I got 2 free games (Just Cause 2). I used one and gave another to a friend. But I would have been willing to donate the 2nd game to the team.

For me, something like the above would make this a lot more fun, and I think others would also consider it fun.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:49 AM   #28
erek
Banned

Quote:
So I think I'm going to just start asking people if they are interested in folding.

For instance, Exotic has a triple SLI 480 system. So I just asked him if he wanted to join us and fold for comradery and friendly competition. He seemed possibly interested by his response. So hopefully he'll come into the fold.

I think I'll keep up with this approach and see how it fairs. I don't want to put a ton of effort into searching and asking people, so I'll most likely seek out those who are looking to possibly belong to something and are capable of a decent amount of potential.

Also, I wonder if we couldn't come up with some type of a friendly process of creating incentives for people. For instance, we could make badges, banners or titles that could be earned by offering achievements that could be attained. They could range from highly competitive achievements to just random silly things. In addition to that, we could accept donations on things that we could give away to people for special achievements. For instance, when I got my last two video cards, I got 2 free games (Just Cause 2). I used one and gave another to a friend. But I would have been willing to donate the 2nd game to the team.

For me, something like the above would make this a lot more fun, and I think others would also consider it fun.
good work on inviting people, but those competitive achievements are a disincentive for me... and could possibly ruin this whole experience...

at the moment i feel as i am contributing, and i feel an urge to buy into the next generation to get more performance...

as it stands the "points" system for [email protected] is already too ambiguous... further achievements will serve to convolute the system even more... because i don't even know what my work units are about, etc

i wish we could get more information about what our project numbers mean...

CPU: Project: 6067 (Run 1, Clone 74, Gen 5)

GPU: Project: 10632 (Run 16, Clone 51, Gen 30)
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:11 AM   #29
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:

That's a really good idea. If I get an duplicate game codes then I'll do the same.

We used to do 'folder of the month' where we would nominate a person to receive a prize, used to be a R3D subscription or bigger avatar or something. We could look at that again, do it for 'newbie of the month' - at the end of the month, every new folding member is listed and we have a random drawing to give them subscription. Or even every new folder that posts in here gets 1 mo. free subscription (means no ads, without having to use adblock etc. plus bigger PM storage and avatar.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erek View Post
i wish we could get more information about what our project numbers mean...

CPU: Project: 6067 (Run 1, Clone 74, Gen 5)

GPU: Project: 10632 (Run 16, Clone 51, Gen 30)
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...Pswillbebanned
Old Sep 15, 2010, 01:37 AM   #30
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
That's a really good idea. If I get an duplicate game codes then I'll do the same.

We used to do 'folder of the month' where we would nominate a person to receive a prize, used to be a R3D subscription or bigger avatar or something. We could look at that again, do it for 'newbie of the month' - at the end of the month, every new folding member is listed and we have a random drawing to give them subscription. Or even every new folder that posts in here gets 1 mo. free subscription (means no ads, without having to use adblock etc. plus bigger PM storage and avatar.)

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...Pswillbebanned

lol, even though I am a moderator at FB, I never took the time to actually go to Rage's page. I just don't have much time anymore. It sucks sometimes. FB, CP, Jeep, Work,Sleep,Eat... ughh... well anywho- I am back at about 70% folding rate for the fall. Should return to 100% come November-December.