Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Software
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Software Anything software that is not operating system related goes here. Talk about the latest applications or discuss betas of upcoming products.

Old Jan 11, 2009, 05:48 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Chuki
Radeon Evergreen

Chuki is still being judged by the masses

Default IMAP Client that wont download emails?

Windows Live Mail almost had it, but it wants to download my emails, if I turn sync off it wont automatically download but each email I view it downloads them. I don't know if this is possible, but when you have large email store like I do, I would rather just access them from the server when I need them rather then download them.

Thanks
Chuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 07:48 PM   #2
benjy355
Rawr

benjy355 is still being judged by the masses

The people you get your email account from would be a part in that, Thunderbird supports IMAP, but Gmail, WLM, and most other hosts only allow pop3.

Visit the Roflbox
benjy355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 09:25 PM   #3
Chuki
Radeon Evergreen

gmail allows IMAP, WLM supports it, but when you view mails or do your Sync ( outlooks old Send and Receive) it downloads your emails.. Well I have gigs of emails, I just want to browse/view them without them actually being downloaded. The PC i'm working with has very limited HD space. So downloading the emails is just going to fill the HD up.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 21, 2009, 03:02 PM   #4
Stoned Bob
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Stoned Bob is still being judged by the masses

Thunderbird only downloads the headers of mail from IMAP.
I'm not sure but I dont think it saves them after it downloaded them.
I use the portable version http://portableapps.com/apps/interne...rbird_portable
Stoned Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:26 AM   #5
Nebuchadnezzar
Adriana

Location: Luxembourg Lat: 49:50:52N (49.8477) Lon: 6:06:21E (6.1059)
Nebuchadnezzar is still being judged by the masses

Opera also only fetches the headers.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:42 AM   #6
Idle Wild
Up and away!

Idle Wild can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyIdle Wild can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuki View Post
Windows Live Mail almost had it, but it wants to download my emails, if I turn sync off it wont automatically download but each email I view it downloads them. I don't know if this is possible, but when you have large email store like I do, I would rather just access them from the server when I need them rather then download them.

Thanks
Hi there, the benefit of IMAP is that you can have large access-anywhere mailboxes. So i'd have thought all IMAP clients would normally only download the mail headers. You're saying it downloads it when you click to view it, but how else are you meant to view the email? It has to download it.

IMAP like pop can be configured to delete emails from the mail server once retreived, but if your client is doing this, it can probably be configured not to.
Idle Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:56 AM   #7
SteadVéx
Radeon Sea Islands

SteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

windows live mail (or outlook express to pre vista users!) just downloads the headers unless you set it to..

i've been using it with imap for around 4 years and every version has downloaded the headers until i click o it then downloads the email, check the account options, prahaps its set to download everything?
SteadVéx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2009, 07:16 PM   #8
Chuki
Radeon Evergreen

forgot to keep up with this thread. When I use Windows Live Mail, it will initially download all the headers, making browsing a breeze, but it will start downloading all your mail to your computer. You can stop this process, but when you click an email it downloads that email and leaves it there, its basically stored permenantly on your computer unless you manually delete it.

I just want something that will let me view it, and cache it temporarily until I exit the program, using windows live mail, it'll chew up what little space I have.

Here's what i'm looking for though an imap client, that will only display headers, and when I click an email it will show me it, or cache it to the computer temporarily, and not store it permently. The latest version of Windows Live mail, seems to download it, and leave it, and not delete it. So after awhile of use the folders on the harddrive get huge. When your dealing with only 20gigs of space total its important this not happen.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 12:17 AM   #9
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Use mail.live.com to access your email then.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote