Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Feb 23, 2020, 05:26 PM   #3991
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

What if Ampere is an upgrade for Volta?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 05:36 PM   #3992
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

Dude I agree, the prices are absolute bullsh!t but last time they nearly doubled the cost and didn't really give anything. 20GB of VRAM would nearly double my 1080TI and with RTX actually being playable...at least I would get something in return. I've given a pass to many GPU launches in the past but I'm not used to this 2 year wait cycle time.

I'm hurting bad for an upgrade. I plan to go with founders edition because you can't fit two of those big strix cards together with 2.5 slot designs. I don't know why they charge 300 for a heatsync anyway. You can get a Corsair H150i for half that price. Totally insane how bad they gouge us. I held my ground and refused to buy last time but I simply can't hold off anymore. I've already resigned to the fact that I'm going to be laying down 3 G notes on these. If they surprise me then all the better but I always expect the worst.
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2020, 05:42 PM   #3993
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
What if Ampere is an upgrade for Volta?
It could be. I was alluding to that in my other post. 826nm doesn't sound strange for that but for the mainstream I seriously doubt their high end TI will be anywhere near that, even if they stuck with 12nm.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 23, 2020, 05:48 PM   #3994
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

if big navi is 15% to 25% faster than my 2080 TI strix and under 1000 i will go AMD

under 800 and i'll buy two for the 3 games that may work with CFX

I hope cyberpunk 2077 does SLI/CFX
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2020, 05:54 PM   #3995
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

I hope so too but so far RTX hasn't been done with SLI that I am aware of. I would like to think that Dying Light 2 would also have SLI support since it worked so well last time. I was pushing 4K 60FPS with dual 980TI's on that one but once they delayed the game and said they were doing RTX effects I'm not really sure what to expect. I think 2077 is going to need SLI at 4K even if the 3080TI is 40% faster than a 2080TI. Support was fine for me until last year. I had many titles that worked when I bought my 1080TI's. About 2 years later, almost nothing supported it but you could make it work with a little effort on most titles. Then last year, a whole slew of games came out with no support and no way to force it. I think Nvidia's latest bridge and it's alternate way of doing SLI allowed games like RDR2 to run in SLI but it only worked well on the 2080 series. I was left in the dust with my old 1080 series cards.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 06:39 PM   #3996
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sextein View Post
Don't get my hopes up That would be worth $1500 for me. I wouldn't have to worry about VRAM constraints on renders, animation frame sequences, or video games for years.

True, however, they c an put 1 Terrabyte VRAM on them, you'll peak out the performance before the VRAM so will need to upgrade the GPU for that factor instead so we still lose.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2020, 06:48 PM   #3997
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

My only real limitations regarding VRAM are for 3D art and animation. In regards to gaming, I've seen Stalker Anomaly chewing up 10GB of VRAM and utilizing SLI with 8KDSR would probably kick it up to 14GB of RAM usage total. My performance levels are already flawless with 1080TISLI so 3080TISLI will be all kinds of performance overkill even at 8K I would think.

I agree that games running at 4K on a single card would need a lot more performance to utilize more than 12GB. The 3080TI should be able to deliver that but it would take much more performance to utilize a 20GB card for sure. I wouldn't need 20GB even in my animation projects which are near photoreal with 8 characters on screen at one time.

16GB would suit me fine. 10GB will not do it for me. I will freak out if they decide on something silly like that. 20GB is overkill and allows for some future proofing for 3D art and animation but it would never be used in gaming during the lifetime of these cards since most of the mainstream will still be stuck at 11GB or less. If games support SLI then I will have double the performance which will allow for games that utilize 16GB of RAM to run nice and smooth but it's just a guess. Who knows what the future will bring.

Last edited by the_sextein : Feb 23, 2020 at 06:54 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 07:04 PM   #3998
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
In regards to gaming, I've seen Stalker Anomaly chewing up 10GB of VRAM and utilizing SLI with 8KDSR would probably kick it up to 14GB of RAM usage total. My performance levels are already flawless with 1080TISLI so 3080TISLI will be all kinds of performance overkill even at 8K I would think.

I agree that games running at 4K on a single card would need a lot more performance to utilize more than 12GB. The 3080TI should be able to deliver that but it would take much more performance to utilize a 20GB card for sure. I wouldn't need 20GB even in my animation projects which are near photoreal with 8 characters on screen at one time.

16GB would suit me fine. 10GB will not do it for me. I will freak out if they decide on something silly like that. 20GB is overkill and allows for some future proofing for 3D art and animation but it would never be used in gaming during the lifetime of these cards since most of the mainstream will still be stuck at 11GB or less. If games support SLI then I will have double the performance which will allow for games that utilize 16GB of RAM to run nice and smooth but it's just a guess. Who knows what the future will bring.

Skip to 15:24

Old Feb 23, 2020, 07:12 PM   #3999
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

No arguments there. Reported VRAM usage in games can change based on how it's cached and not what's actually being used in real time. Sometimes having more RAM can improve performance even though the game doesn't really need it all at one time. That being said, Anomaly is a MOD that uses 8K textures for the game world and it's utilization is accurate. Pushing games to 8K is going to require much more VRAM in general because games like GTA 5 that only need about 5GB will have to render 4X as much of the world onscreen and the amount of textures on screen will increase.

In the case of 3D rendering and animation there is no confusion. You can see it in task manager and once the cards run out of RAM DAZ studio will force the render onto the CPU and your cards will go idle. It's a real bummer when I have 16 hours of render work to complete and then I come home from work and find out only 30 minutes equivalent of GPU work has been done and my CPU has been running at 100% on all cores utilizing AVX instructions at 79C for 10 hours straight. While I realize that this doesn't apply to gaming, Nvidia's IRAY and it's cards are in demand from the mainstream art community and Nvidia has a responsibility to supply for both the art community and the gaming community. I'm a part of both and really depend on them.

If I were working for a major studio or rich then I would buy workstation GPU's with 20GB of RAM and a separate gaming machine but I'm just a home user and hobbyist. I do think games could utilize 14 to 16 GB of RAM at 4K in two years from now and by then the 3080TI will probably still be the best card on the market. If they are going to go this long without putting out new cards and they plan to charge 2x as much then they need to deliver the goods. Just remember that last time they charged $500 more than the 1080TI and didn't include ANY VRAM upgrade. Total bs.

Last edited by the_sextein : Feb 23, 2020 at 07:34 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 08:40 PM   #4000
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

A couple things that came to mind...the 1080 had 8GB of VRAM and a year later the 1080TI had 11GB of VRAM and yet it cost the same 700 as the original 1080 did. The 2080TI cost 500 more and didn't have a VRAM increase. What this tells me is that the cost increase is probably more dependent on how mature the RAM is. It costs more when they switch from say GDDR5 to GDDR6 but once it's been on the market for a while the price drops and that is when Nvidia increases it's RAM density by large amounts. I'm not saying we shouldn't fear the prices of these new cards I'm just saying that the prices haven't seemed to represent RAM density upgrades in the past. These cards will probably cost an arm and a leg just like the 2080TI with no VRAM upgrade. I think we all can agree that more VRAM the better as long as it doesn't blow the price though the roof which I don't think it will. AMD managed 16GB at $1000 so NV can as well. With NV waiting 2X as long between card launches those RAM prices should get better and better. They should be in a position to push the density up considerably without blowing the price out too much.

Last edited by the_sextein : Feb 23, 2020 at 08:46 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 08:49 PM   #4001
Megaman
Packing heat!

Turing was released about the time RAM prices were through the roof. On top of that, Ray Tracing was exclusive to Nvidia so the prices were jacked up for that in addition to the performance jump over 1080 Ti.

The 2080 Ti was really the go to card for 1080 and 1080 Ti owners so those owners had to suck it up and cash out on the additional costs. The other cards felt like refreshes with RTX support.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 08:54 PM   #4002
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

So hopefully with the crypto market busted and the RTX effects seeing competition from Intel and AMD and with the RAM prices having dropped and matured...Maybe things will turn out ok? wishful thinking I know but they do have to consider that we are not made of money and there is much more to consider than just the tip top elitist cards. The more power they push at the top, the more power they can push into the mainstream to compete against AMD's new GPU's which are probably going to make huge gains shortly. AMD may not hold the crown but I have a feeling their next gen is going to make them very competitive in the midrange where the majority of business is. NV needs to pump up their game either way.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 08:54 PM   #4003
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
Where's your remorse thread KAC

Why would I have remorse if I didn’t pay anything? Also if pricing is again over 1000 boners then I may give it a hard pass as well just like I did the 2080 Ti.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2020, 09:47 PM   #4004
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
So hopefully with the crypto market busted and the RTX effects seeing competition from Intel and AMD and with the RAM prices having dropped and matured...Maybe things will turn out ok? wishful thinking I know but they do have to consider that we are not made of money and there is much more to consider than just the tip top elitist cards. The more power they push at the top, the more power they can push into the mainstream to compete against AMD's new GPU's which are probably going to make huge gains shortly. AMD may not hold the crown but I have a feeling their next gen is going to make them very competitive in the midrange where the majority of business is. NV needs to pump up their game either way.
NVidia has a China made excuse for high prices for the next year or so and they will use it to it's fullest ......... coronavirus
Old Feb 23, 2020, 09:52 PM   #4005
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

yeah then there is that....I also read an article that was talking about a more expensive process that is required for Nvidia's new card design that requires solder on both sides of the PCB or something. Apparently most 3rd party card production isn't equipped to do it in mass. So it's going to require upgrades to production or cards are going to be produced even slower than normal. Availability could end up being killer. I hope we don't see a paper launch like we did when competition was tight back in the good ol days.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:00 PM   #4006
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I predict big navi is going to cost 899 or more. Probably closer to the 1000 range. Unless it sucks and fails to deliver as usual.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:01 PM   #4007
Megaman
Packing heat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
I predict big navi is going to cost 899 or more. Probably closer to the 1000 range. Unless it sucks and fails to deliver as usual.
Big Navi is going to be a hit. Just you wait and see.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:09 PM   #4008
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

I think AMD's last card was direct competition for the RTX2080 and they matched the $1000 price tag. If their new card beats a 2080TI I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit $1200 at launch and then drop to $1000 when the 3080 hits the scene. No facts backing any of this up by the way, just looking at how they have done business in the past. AMD also matched Intel's $500 I9 9900K when they hit the ground last year with the 3000 series of CPU's.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:13 PM   #4009
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Can we take the shitnavi convo to the other thread. This is about new card which gonna own yo ass.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:57 PM   #4010
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I think AMD's last card was direct competition for the RTX2080 and they matched the $1000 price tag. If their new card beats a 2080TI I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit $1200 at launch and then drop to $1000 when the 3080 hits the scene. No facts backing any of this up by the way, just looking at how they have done business in the past. AMD also matched Intel's $500 I9 9900K when they hit the ground last year with the 3000 series of CPU's.

the 5700 xt is about half the price a 2080 800 buck msrp
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=5700+xt

but it was very close in fps

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page...review,16.html
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:57 PM   #4011
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Can we take the shitnavi convo to the other thread. This is about new card which gonna own yo ass.
you won't pay the tax anyway

unless Big Navi is a big hit to NV and drives down prices
Old Feb 24, 2020, 02:13 AM   #4012
KAC
That postcount though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
you won't pay the tax anyway

unless Big Navi is a big hit to NV and drives down prices
Gay, paying tax is for pussies.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 08:17 AM   #4013
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post

the 5700 xt is about half the price a 2080 800 buck msrp
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=5700+xt

but it was very close in fps

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page...review,16.html
True but it's been years since it's initial release and they are only selling 8GB cards now. Meanwhile NV hasn't budged on their prices and are still selling them at the original MSRP 2 years later which is pure BS but when you spread out the demand for your card over a longer period you can keep charging top dollar and get away with it. Or at least that's what it seems like is going on to me. Sad to see my $700 1080TI being sold as a 2080 with less RAM, 3 years later for $1000.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 08:36 AM   #4014
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Sad to see my $700 1080TI being sold as a 2080 with less RAM, 3 years later for $1000.
Yeah but that's not the case. Just ask KAC.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2020, 09:13 AM   #4015
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
True but it's been years since it's initial release and they are only selling 8GB cards now. Meanwhile NV hasn't budged on their prices and are still selling them at the original MSRP 2 years later which is pure BS but when you spread out the demand for your card over a longer period you can keep charging top dollar and get away with it. Or at least that's what it seems like is going on to me. Sad to see my $700 1080TI being sold as a 2080 with less RAM, 3 years later for $1000.
the 5700 xt was a July 7, 2019 release date less than a year

and 2080 strix super's is 789 the same as I payed for my 1080 ti strix first day

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=2080+&N=100007709 600494828

the 2080 strix super's is a little faster and does have 1080p RTX and light 1440p RTX
Old Feb 24, 2020, 09:18 AM   #4016
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

All I know is AMD put out a card for 1000 dollars about a year after it's release and it failed to beat a 1080TI but it had 16GB or VRAM. I remember being interested and reading the reviews. I don't know what current pricing is or when new cards have come out since then because I don't buy cards in that range of performance. My point was that if AMD can compete at the high end, they will charge high end prices.

Last edited by the_sextein : Feb 24, 2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 09:21 AM   #4017
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Yeah but that's not the case. Just ask KAC.
It looks like it to me. Even overlclocked he is seeing minor performance diferances and RTX has been useless for people who don't game at sub console resolution. He didn't do too bad for a free upgrade but paying 300 more than a 1080TI 3 years later is laughable. I don't know why anyone would even consider buying one of those.
EDIT:

I guess I should have said 2 years later as that is when the 2080 was launched at $1000 with 3GB less VRAM than the $700, 2 year old 1080TI that performed identical.

Last edited by the_sextein : Feb 24, 2020 at 09:40 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 09:43 AM   #4018
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
All I know is AMD put out a card for 1000 dollars about a year after it's release and it failed to beat a 1080TI but it had 16GB or VRAM. I remember being interested and reading the reviews. I don't know what current pricing is or when new cards have come out since then because I don't buy cards in that range of performance. My point was that if AMD can compete at the high end, they will charge high end prices.
VEGA 7 was 699 and really just a die shrink of a 2 year old VEGA 64
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_RX_Vega_series

Vega's were good workstation cards and crap at gaming

AMD has never had a 1000 dollar single GPU gaming card .
Old Feb 24, 2020, 09:51 AM   #4019
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

Well maybe that's it then, they didn't release a gaming card so all of the usual sites compared their high end $1000 workstation GPU against Nvidia's $1000 gaming GPU. Either way my point still stands. They delivered slightly less than a 1080TI with 16GB for $1000.

They are not going to outperform a $1200 2080TI graphic card and give it away for $900 initially. The prices will drop like a stone once the 3080 is released and then you will see it competing at that level while the 3080TI goes on unchallenged at the top. That's my opinion. I could be wrong but the days where AMD used to release inferior products at a discounted price are a thing of the past.

Last edited by the_sextein : Feb 24, 2020 at 09:57 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:00 AM   #4020
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Well maybe that's it then, they didn't release a gaming card so all of the usual sites compared their high end $1000 workstation GPU against Nvidia's $1000 gaming GPU. Either way my point still stands. They delivered slightly less than a 1080TI with 16GB for $1000.

They are not going to outperform a $1200 2080TI graphic card and give it away for $900 initially. The prices will drop like a stone once the 3080 is released and then you will see it competing at that level while the 3080TI goes on unchallenged at the top. That's my opinion. I could be wrong but the days where AMD used to release inferior products at a discounted price are a thing of the past.
3080 will most likely be q4 and on Samsung not tsmc