Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old May 26, 2006, 12:44 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
vazel
Banned

vazel is still being judged by the masses

Default PSP modchip

PSP just became more tempting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxconsole.net
Forget battling against Sony to get your beloved homebrew on the PSP console, we have received news that a new PSP mod is set to hit the scene called Undiluted Platinum (UP). This mod will act as a flash replacement system for the PSP which allow the use of previous flash updates or custom flash builds. Installation has been optimized to fit entirely inside PSP, this opens up the possibility to run unsigned Homebrew code on the latest PSP systems. More info will be available next week! This is 100 percent real just incase you had any doubts.

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=7459
vazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 03:13 PM   #2
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Oh man, i wants

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 05:54 PM   #3
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

No thanks. I'd rather not risk bricking my PSP. $200 has become hard to come by lately...
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 26, 2006, 09:12 PM   #4
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi
No thanks. I'd rather not risk bricking my PSP. $200 has become hard to come by lately...
I certianly wouldn't want to be of the first to try one. However after its been given the work threw and there are people experianced at installing them I would think about trying it.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 08:54 AM   #5
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

seems tempting, hope they get it working fine
Old May 29, 2006, 10:50 AM   #6
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Update

From QJ.net:

The U.P. (Undiluted Platinum) is a flash replacement system for the PSP™ which allows the use of previous flash updates or custom firmware builds, opening up the possibility to run unsigned homebrew code on even the latest PSP systems. The U.P. contains 32MB NAND flash which is programmable from the PC via a high speed USB connection, using our user friendly software. You may boot the PSP from either its onboard flash or the flash contained on the U.P; the flash which is used is determined by a button press as the PSP is powered on (U.P. flash is used by default, hold L1 to use the PSP onboard flash). Since U.P. provides a secondary flash which the PSP can boot from, it can even be used to restore a PSP which has been "bricked". Every effort has been made to make our flash updater software, which will be freely available for download, both as easy to use and reliable as possible. The software also contains diagnostics which can be used by installers to determine if an installation has been successful or not.

The U.P. has been designed to minimize installation difficulty and effort. A FPC (flexible printed circuit) cable is included which routes the essential signals from the PSP motherboard to the U.P. main board and U.P. USB connector. Copper enamel wire is included, which will provide the connection between the FPC cable and the motherboard signal traces. The FPC cable also helps by reducing the mechanical stress placed on the solder points, making a U.P. modified PSP shock resistant which is important for handheld systems. Installation aids are included, and installation diagrams for all PSP hardware revisions will be available for download, together with flasher software application, from our reseller's websites. More about installation together with install pictures closer to release.

The FPC cable end to which the USB connector board attaches is routed into the battery compartment and sits above the battery. The battery cover can be replaced after flash updating and the cable remains safely in the compartment until the next update is required, whereupon the USB connector can be clipped in place within a few seconds. This means that the U.P. is completely contained within the PSP under normal usage and avoids any unsightly external modifications to your PSP. PSP is after all portable, let’s keep it that way!

In order to maximise the benefits that U.P. can provide its users, we have decided to take an open source approach with U.P and will be releasing source code for any software we release as well as full documentation for the U.P. hardware interface - including information on how to control U.P. from within PSP programs. This will allow anybody to create software which can take advantage of what U.P. has to offer. We have also sent a few prototype units away to some of the scene's best software hackers in order to give them a headstart at working on custom flash replacements - cant wait to see what people will come up with!

Features Announced:
  • Ultra reliable and feature rich Actel ProASIC Plus FPGA
  • Full Speed USB 1.1 ASIC onboard
  • Branded 32MB NAND flash onboard (same flash as used in PSP)
  • Stable and reliable flashing software freely available for download
  • Installation verification using flashing software
  • Ultra compact four layer PCB
  • High quality Japanese connectors
  • USB cable included
  • FPC cable included, reducing installation effort and improving shock resistance
  • Copper enamel wire included
  • Open platform development system for software developers
  • Installation has been optimized to fit entirely inside PSP
  • All PSP hardware versions/regions supported
  • User updatable flash
  • Low power consumption
  • Flash select via button press
  • Ultra compact PCB has been designed to avoid signal bounce
Bundled Stuff:
  • U.P. MAIN MODULE x1
  • U.P. USB BOARD x1
  • USB CABLE x1
  • INSTALLATION AIDS 1 SET
  • COPPER ENAMEL WIRE 1 SPOOL
  • FPC CABLE x1
It will be priced at around 75 Euros, or $90. A bit high, if you ask me. But completely worth it. I guess this is enough to silence the skeptics. And making the PSP 'brick-proof'? Wow, that's something which will excite everyone. This would obviously lead to more hacks since the hackers can experiment without fearing bricking their PSP.

Anyways, we will keep you posted with the latest developments to this latest hot news!

Only thing that worries me is if this will cause any dangerous heat in the console...

Last edited by Hidavi : May 29, 2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old May 29, 2006, 05:55 PM   #7
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

sucks that I dont know crap about soldering
and If I did I still dont have any soldering equipment which would add to the cost and would only be used to solder it on the psp and then just lay there and gather dust...
bleh sucks

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 08:24 PM   #8
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Soldering guns are very very cheap. Go visit your local radio shack I have one thats basically the size of a pen.
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 08:36 PM   #9
vazel
Banned

vazel is still being judged by the masses

I bought this soldering kit from radio shack that comes with the soldering iron, solder, and a couple other tools for $8. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Soldering guides.
http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/solderfaq.htm
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/solder.htm
http://www.fanbus.com/thelab/Soldering/soldering.htm
vazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 08:50 PM   #10
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

^I have that one + a soldering resin coil for like $3 extra.
Old May 29, 2006, 09:05 PM   #11
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

i remember soldering in high school, i had a cheapo 5dll soldering iron and it always left lumps on the pcb... i sucked at it
Old May 29, 2006, 10:46 PM   #12
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

soldering is easy. I just don't do it often. Thats great that this thing will allow for the unbricking of dead PSPs. Too bad most bricked PSPs have been tossed out If only they had known ...
Old May 30, 2006, 12:58 PM   #13
Fragmastergen
Radeon R520

Fragmastergen is still being judged by the masses

not realy excited. all i care about is playing isos and emulators anyway and u dont need a chip to do that.
Gigabyte ATI X800 xt 256mb
Creative Audigy 2
Fragmastergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 03:50 PM   #14
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragmastergen
not realy excited. all i care about is playing isos and emulators anyway and u dont need a chip to do that.
well u cant run new game isos that require firmware 2.01+ on the psp but it should be possible with the modchip..

I am also just playing isos... I began with buying psp games but I dont like sonys policy and their stopping of all hombrew on the psp with firmware updates so I dont want to give em any more of my money

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

- True Blood
Old May 30, 2006, 08:33 PM   #15
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

^ Fight the powr meannnn...
Old May 31, 2006, 10:27 AM   #16
badboy
Merc with a mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi
^ Fight the powr meannnn...

- True Blood
Old May 31, 2006, 03:23 PM   #17
Fragmastergen
Radeon R520

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy
well u cant run new game isos that require firmware 2.01+ on the psp but it should be possible with the modchip..
uhh, yea u can

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=17873
Creative Audigy 2
Old May 31, 2006, 03:27 PM   #18
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I just bought a PSP last weekend, could one of you guys explain to me (PM if needed) how you play an iso on the system?

Edit: Bah, never mind I have the 2.5 firmware. Knew I should have bought one earlier.

Last edited by Greasy : May 31, 2006 at 03:49 PM.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 03:48 PM   #19
Fragmastergen
Radeon R520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy
I just bought a PSP last weekend, could one of you guys explain to me (PM if needed) how you play an iso on the system?
better hope its 1.5 or 2.0 (so u can downgrade to 1.5)

if u got that far, maxconsole is a good forum to look at for stuff like that. its got everything you need realy.
Creative Audigy 2
Old May 31, 2006, 03:56 PM   #20
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy

Edit: Bah, never mind I have the 2.5 firmware. Knew I should have bought one earlier.
Talk of ISOs allowed here on Rage. Anyway, I think you load an older firmware on the modchip and switch between them. Dual boot ftw!!!