Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Apr 1, 2013, 09:44 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Darkz0r
Italian Brazilian Rager

Darkz0r can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDarkz0r can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Defiance - Bf3/Planetside/Large scale borderlands Hybrid?

It's coming out tomorrow apr 2, surprised there's not a topic about it!

Looks pretty good, but after pre-ordering Simcity I'll never pre order a game again .
Anyone played the beta?

Vid (dunno how to embed):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qpJpZPwrL8

Official site:
http://www.defiance.com/en/pre-order/pc/?CAS_REDIR=true

I couldn't get into planetside 2 because of lag/glitches, even though I played PS1 to hell and back. This game looks VERY similar but better.

I really like bf3 types of games with RPG elements (though I really don't they should be labeled MMOFPS) so this seems very promising!
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:36 PM   #2
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

It's launching with a TV show right? Beta has been out and while right and barely heard anything (good or bad)
nutcrackr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:39 PM   #3
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
It's launching with a TV show right? Beta has been out and while right and barely heard anything (good or bad)
TV show airs in a couple weeks on SyFy. From what I've heard, expectations are high. The game itself looks decent. I've got some respect for Trion after seeing what they've done with Rift and Storm Legion. I'm cautiously optimistic. If someone wants to give Defiance a try on the PC let me know. I'd be game for that.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 2, 2013, 06:21 AM   #4
McCrash
Radeon R520

McCrash is still being judged by the masses

McCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 06:57 AM   #5
Darkz0r
Italian Brazilian Rager

Darkz0r can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDarkz0r can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrash View Post
Good read!
Seems like a major disappointment
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:07 AM   #6
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

I can't think of one game based off a T.V. series that was ever any good.

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:12 AM   #7
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

If you guys are interested, I'll be firing this thing up tonight. I can post back after a few hours to give y'all some sort of idea of my thoughts. I can also maybe look into streaming it or something if that might be worthwhile.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:50 PM   #8
lumpyhed
Radeon Arctic Islands

lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

They would have been better going straight to F2P imho, you could easily expect folks to watch the pilot then rush off to try the game if they liked it. instead they've charged for a full price game AND expect you to buy stuff ingame
lumpyhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 01:37 PM   #9
Arrowhead
to the knee.

Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

They expect us to fork over $140 for the deluxe and season pass. Ridiculously overpriced for an unproven game that is shaping up to be rather mediocre.
Arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 03:15 PM   #10
Adanu
MRA in Residence

Adanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete stranger

I like the idea behind it, but the meta left me with a lot of 'this needs work' feeling'. I was considering buying it if they fixed the Arkfall ammo problems.

As it is, going to wait for patches to deal with that.
Adanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 03:17 PM   #11
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

The beta didn't make a good impression at all. Felt like a 7/10 type of game at best. That being said, I'm still pretty interested to see how the critics rate it.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 03:18 PM   #12
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Looks like total ass.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 03:22 PM   #13
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Seems like something that would have been more suitable for f2p or a <$20 price tag.

And omg at the graphics in the 360 version, that is some nextgen ****.

Some footage from the pc version:

Last edited by Mangler : Apr 2, 2013 at 03:38 PM.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 04:12 PM   #14
Adanu
MRA in Residence

Adanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete stranger

If they had made the PC actually talk, I might be more interested. I've had enough of the silent PCs.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 05:50 PM   #15
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

night can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkz0r View Post

with [yt][/yt
Old Apr 2, 2013, 06:55 PM   #16
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Default Defiance - Bf3/Planetside/Large scale borderlands Hybrid?

Ah same old whining when it isnt a wow clone.
I like it and it reminds me lots of TSW which is one of the best mmo that also went unappreciated. But shitty wow clones like gw2 get all the praise.

And people wonder why we dont get unique mmo's.
Most people dont want unique they want the same **** year after year.

There are lots of improvements to be made in balance and how arkfalls function but at least its something new in the mmo genre and the core game is fun.

* flamesuit on*

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 07:54 PM   #17
Adanu
MRA in Residence

I'm not knocking the core gameplay. I'm knocking the lack of bug fixes for various things, and the lack of voice for your PC.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 08:05 PM   #18
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adanu View Post
I'm not knocking the core gameplay. I'm knocking the lack of bug fixes for various things, and the lack of voice for your PC.
Thats a gameplay decision that TSW also made. They wanted it to feel like it was you who was that character and if they gave them lines and voices the feeling would be stripped away.

Some like it, others dont. I think it depends on what game I am playing. I think it fits in mmos as you want to be your character. But in games like lets say bioshock you are seeing a story through someone elses eyes so the pc should have voice and his own mind.

I agree on the bug fixing. But thats nothing new for mmo's

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

- True Blood
Old Apr 2, 2013, 08:06 PM   #19
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adanu View Post
I'm not knocking the core gameplay. I'm knocking the lack of bug fixes for various things,
According to the official forums, the 120hz bug was documented by members of the beta players but it still made it into the retail release. You either need to use an hdmi cable (forcing 60hz only), or a 120hz registry hack to access the options menu on a 120hz monitor. Forcing 60hz through the control panel does not work.

Quote:
I cannot but conclude that the Bulk of your Natives, to be the most pernicious Race of little odious Vermin that Nature ever suffered to crawl upon the Surface of the Earth.
Dungeoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 08:23 PM   #20
Adanu
MRA in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Thats a gameplay decision that TSW also made. They wanted it to feel like it was you who was that character and if they gave them lines and voices the feeling would be stripped away.
It didn't work. You are not your Ark Hunter, at all.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:08 PM   #21
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Quick thoughts so far...

Don't buy it.

Sorry I'm only an hour in but I'm seeing nothing here so far that has me absolutely sold on this game. It's a shooter. That's certain. But it's not a lot beyond that. The graphics are passable but not mind blowing. The plot is Sci-Fi ish but nothing revolutionary. Maybe the TV show will open that up a bit. I really want to like this game because I figure any non-WoW clone is deserving of a chance. But even this early in the game I'm not seeing anything that is making me have to keep playing. Oh and the Dodge Challenger R/T huh? Can you say PRODUCT PLACEMENT? I can't say I disapprove though, those cars are pretty badass.

It has only been an hour though so I'll give it a bit more time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:34 PM   #22
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

A few more quick thoughts...

The AI is still pretty bad. Laughably bad. I mean, I get that it's an MMO and these aren't all going to be amazing custom scripted looking AI routines that make you think you're playing a human, but seriously. In one encounter alone I watched maybe 4 enemy mutants spawn right next to me, then proceed to walk away from me. All 4 were gunned down in the back and absolutely did not acknowledge my existence before dying. I suspect they were only looking for a LOS check before reacting because I can think of no other reason I can stand behind an enemy NPC, shoot them with my handgun and watch them take 5 seconds to die without even acknowledging they've been hit.

In the TotalBiscuit video he mentioned that he thought maybe the ally NPCs were getting cut down intentionally to force you into the fray. I think this is accurate. Twice I think I saw an allied NPC just drop without even being touched. Either that or he was shot from afar and I didn't notice it, but they seemed to ignore anything in melee range, not get behind cover, or do anything to save themselves other than give a token effort to return fire. Again I'm not saying they need to be human-like in their responses, but some ducking behind cover and not getting mowed down like grass would have been nice.

The physics feel off. Running actually feels a bit more solid. I prefer it to running around in Guild Wars 2. In GW2 I have this feeling of skating around, like I'm not actually using legs to move around just hovering around while my legs play a moving animation. Fortunately this feels a bit more solid. But the jumping. Oh dear god the jumping. Every single jump, it's like I'm Michael Jordan on the moon with Wiley Coyote spring shoes. You jump so damned far it's cringe worthy.

It's meh... I'd give this game a 6/10 so far. Maybe it will grow on me but I wouldn't recommend it to a friend quite yet. We'll see how the next few levels or missions go.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by shrike126 : Apr 2, 2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 01:41 AM   #23
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwards

Character customization is really bare-boned. Not counting gender, its basically either Human or Irathient. You then get to select an origin: Veteran, Survivalist, Outlaw, and Machinist. They even have a Cortana clone . Maybe the enemies get tougher, but right now I don't see a reason to change my standard pistol? It deals with most enemies in a couple of headshots. At least Trion decided to include a decent day/night cycle although albeit an absence of any fall damage.

Quote:
I cannot but conclude that the Bulk of your Natives, to be the most pernicious Race of little odious Vermin that Nature ever suffered to crawl upon the Surface of the Earth.

Last edited by Dungeoncrawler : Apr 3, 2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 04:43 PM   #24
Darkz0r
Italian Brazilian Rager

Some great info here, thanks! I guess I'll pass on this one for sure...seems like even with patches they got a lot of work to do!!
Old Apr 3, 2013, 04:50 PM   #25
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Some great info here, thanks! I guess I'll pass on this one for sure...seems like even with patches they got a lot of work to do!!
Patch was deployed today to address the 120hz bug - Unfortunately it doesn't seem to fix it

Quote:
Old Apr 3, 2013, 06:13 PM   #26
Thorney
Radeon R520

Thorney is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
It's coming out tomorrow apr 2, surprised there's not a topic about it!
The beta NDA (but not alpha) was lifted, Trion encourages beta testers to talk now. I played 60+ hours. I tried to be helpful with feedback but it consisted more of feature requests (like implementing a cover system) and feature changes than bug fixes. Just to give you an idea of the wrongness... a feedback box popped up immediately after completing a mission but while there were still baddies engaging you. This blocked the view and disabled game controls. They killed you if you didn't cancel the dialog box right quick.

Honestly... play Borderlands 1 or 2. Better yet, play Red Faction: Guerrilla if its cheaper. I was constantly reminded of Red Faction while playing, even used the same basic strategies to exploit the AI. Well, Red Faction AI will chase you in vehicles, this is too prohibitively sophisticated for Defiance to manage.

Defiance is 95% profoundly derivative of these two franchises, the other 5% is taken from Trion's Rift MMO. That's not snark but observing the cloned similarity of basic game mechanics. I am baffled when trying to imagine what all the tens of millions was spent on or what the large development team invested years of man hours into. If I was an investor, I'd want an investigation. Any game site that doesn't appropriately reflect Defiance's mediocrity - warn consumers - should be immediately suspect too. I would disagree with any attempt to characterize Defiance as an entry level third person shooter. Just grab anything out of the bargain bin to get a better game. Nor is Defiance acceptable as an entry level MMO. Most all of the recent free to play titles are much better.

Trying to be fair, this game had to go to a gold build, Xbox/PS3/PC, before it was ready. Aside from unaddressed bugs, for example, dialog was still being recorded not two weeks ago. It might evolve into much better shape as the game and television show progress. Unfortunately unless you paid $100 for the deluxe edition, they are already expecting more cash for the planned DLC.
Thorney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 06:28 PM   #27
exitwound
Radeon R420

exitwound is still being judged by the masses

TotalBiscuit has a followup on the video above in the last half of this video. He's split on whether it's good or not. Borderlandish meets World of Warcraft, he says.
exitwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 07:26 PM   #28
Saggypoo
Fun Police

Saggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorney View Post
Defiance is 95% profoundly derivative of these two franchises, the other 5% is taken from Trion's Rift MMO.

The Arkfall, or whatever they're called, random events are basically re-skinned Rift invasions.
Saggypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 08:27 PM   #29
Adanu
MRA in Residence

I bought the game as a time waster to keep up with the TV series. I like the core gameplay enough to play it in small doses, but it DOES need a lot of work. I like the concept enough to buy it. If it had subscription fees, it would be an entirely different story.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 03:22 AM   #30
badboy
Merc with a mouth

I like the devs posts on whats happenings

http://community.defiance.com/en/201...of-ours-it-is/

http://community.defiance.com/en/201...t-of-cautious/

The game has lots of bugs and things to be fixed but nothing that I am not accustomed to in freshly released mmos. I just play stuff that works until they fix things

- True Blood