Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Legacy ATI Discussion and Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Legacy ATI Discussion and Technical Support Discussion and technical support forum for legacy ATI technology such as Rage, Rage Fury and Rage MAXX.

Old Aug 3, 2000, 01:15 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
mbrtis

mbrtis is still being judged by the masses

Hi all,

I currently own an Inspiron 7000/366 with an 8MB Rage Pro board in it. I have an opportunity to purchase an 8MB Rage Mobility card that I'm pretty sure I can drop into my machine (please correct me if I'm wrong!). Will I see a performance increase? From documentation I read quite a while ago there is supposedly a 10% performance boost between the two cards, is that true? Are there any other benefits?

Thanks for your feedback in advance...
mbrtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2000, 04:46 AM   #2
me

Question

A Rage Mobility board? I thought the Mobility was just a Rage Pro made for laptops.

If the memory is the same and the drivers are the same I can't see that there would be any noticable difference.
Old Aug 3, 2000, 05:13 AM   #3
ManaKnight
Radeon R300

ManaKnight is still being judged by the masses

I believe "ME" is correct. Also a 10% boost is nothing. A good set of drivers, *cough *cough GD8 *cough *cough, will give you that! you can now send me the money you were gonna spend on that
ManaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 3, 2000, 09:55 AM   #4
GDI

GDI is still being judged by the masses

Is it possible to upgrade video boards on a laptop? If so, I'll put a 128 in and get rid of the Mobility P. Maybe that will solve some problems with games.
If you can upgrade, how is it down?
GDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2000, 11:30 AM   #5
RAGE LT MAN
The guy sent to get ya...

RAGE LT MAN is still being judged by the masses

You cant do that for video subsys reasons. You'd need a BIOS configured for the card. Desktop vid chips have a video BIOS right on the board, laptops have to have it imbedded in the system BIOS. That's the same prob that comes up when thinking of an m128 upgrade. Sorry, however, drivers do help (10%??? that's it??? i get more, i guess i need to make something better).
RAGE LT MAN is offline   Reply With Quote