Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:13 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Default PSU recommendations

I'm looking for a new PSU soon, once I get my new card which will either be a GTX 770 or 780 not too sure yet. I'm looking at the 800 to 875w range, gold certified and one that is quiet.

There are too many to choose from and some reviews and their draw backs may/may not really matter to me that much which just adds to the confusion.

Can anyone recommend one? Looking at a price bracket of $150 to $190

The choice so far is the Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 800W

Last edited by Megaman : Jun 19, 2013 at 11:33 PM.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 02:54 AM   #2
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Don't buy Coolermaster for PSU please. Get a Corsair 850 AX.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 02:54 AM   #3
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Any particular reason why not?
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 20, 2013, 04:25 AM   #4
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I have a 750 W Coolermaster PSU. It screams since I installed 2 cards. The total system wattage by all benchmarks is equivalent of around 550-600 watts on load and the PSU just makes a lot of noise whilst doing that. It also has issues with maintaining the right volts along the lines so I actually want to get rid of it but I hate re-doing wires in my PC and just have been lazy for the past 1.5 years
Old Jun 20, 2013, 05:06 AM   #5
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

I'm a big fan of seasonic power supplies.

Here is a review of that coolermaster psu.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 05:12 AM   #6
Megaman
Packing heat!

KAC: your psu is the one I'm looking at?

That link is the review I went by. There are a few things in the conclusion section I'm not sure will impact me or not.

Ill have to see who has seasoning psus here.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 05:19 AM   #7
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Seasonic or Silverstone. PCCG has some good ones around 750 - 850W
Old Jun 20, 2013, 05:22 AM   #8
KAC
That postcount though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
KAC: your psu is the one I'm looking at?

That link is the review I went by. There are a few things in the conclusion section I'm not sure will impact me or not.

Ill have to see who has seasoning psus here.
The gay in the article clearly states that Corsair HX850 is the better power supply and is cheaper. See the last page. I recommend Corsair.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 05:39 AM   #9
Megaman
Packing heat!

Yep, but that takes it outside the price bracket but then again what is an extra $25?

It's turning into a poll now.

Have been recommended:

Corsair
Cooler master (outside of the forum)
Seasonic x 2
Silver stone

Old Jun 20, 2013, 05:56 AM   #10
KAC
That postcount though...

Corsair, Seasonic and Silverstone are all great PSUs. Any that you can get will do you fine.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 07:16 AM   #11
Douglaster
X360 - PC

Douglaster is still being judged by the masses

I have built dozens of pcs last and this year and all of them have either a Corsair AX850 or an AX1200.

So sweet psu´s.
Douglaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 07:28 AM   #12
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

My Corsair CX750 has been a champ running my dual R6870s.

You can't go wrong with Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, or Silverstone either.
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
HTPC - Fractal Design Define R4 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5 3570K | Antec Kuhler 620 | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 | 128GB Intel 330 SSD | 16x Lite-On DVD-R/RW | eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair CX750M | Westinghouse 50" 1080P | Windows 10 Pro
File Server - NZXT Classic Series Source 210 | ASRock 970A-G/3.1 | AMD FX-8320E Black Edition | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 | 128GB Samsung 830 | 4x2TB HGST UlstraStar | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 | Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W | Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
I play a medic in TF2 so I think I know a little bit about diagnosing disease. Plus I watched a lot of House.
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 07:32 AM   #13
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Corsair 850. My TX 850's have been champs, very pleased with them.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 09:20 AM   #14
kakarot
Radeon Caribbean Islands

kakarot is still being judged by the masses

Definitely go Corsair or Seasonic. They're worth every penny of the additional cost
kakarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:17 AM   #15
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I like Corsair as well. Plus the warranty is really good (I think it's 7 years!) and they have GREAT customer service.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 09:03 PM   #16
Megaman
Packing heat!

OK so after a few reviews I'm look at the "Seasonic S12D 850W 80+ Sliver" now. This is should be more than enough to handle SLI 770 or 780 (or maybe next gen cards) with an OC next gen i7.

What say you?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:40 PM   #17
KAC
That postcount though...

850 should be fine.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:41 PM   #18
Megaman
Packing heat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
850 should be fine.
But the model.....

80 plus silver or Gold there much of a difference or is it some bull crap marketing thing?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 01:12 AM   #19
KAC
That postcount though...

I am using Bronze. Didn't cause much problems and I am running a relatively high overclocked system, 2 cards in SLi and a water cooling kit on a 750 w. The cards and CPU you are thinking about installing will require lower power than my system.

I would get Silver only if the price differential is significant like 40+ dollars. Anything less and just get a Gold PSU so that it lasts longer, has better load lines and voltage control.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 01:16 AM   #20
Megaman
Packing heat!

OK cool but mine may turn into SLI so the full 850w will be dormant for now. Gold version is an extra $75
Old Jun 24, 2013, 01:19 AM   #21
KAC
That postcount though...

Yeah, then get the Silver.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:01 AM   #22
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Corsair 850. My TX 850's have been champs, very pleased with them.
What's the difference between the AX and this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Profes...=Corsair+AX850

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:02 AM   #23
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

My brother's Cooler Master PSU exploded. Do-not-get.
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:07 AM   #24
KAC
That postcount though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
What's the difference between the AX and this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Profes...=Corsair+AX850
AX is made by Seasonic or something. HX is made by some other nubs.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:43 AM   #25
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
AX is made by Seasonic or something. HX is made by some other nubs.
So AX is much better?

yoz
Old Jun 24, 2013, 02:13 PM   #26
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
So AX is much better?
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost...80&postcount=6

yoz
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:23 PM   #27
Megaman
Packing heat!

So I went for the Seasonic S12D 850W 80+ Sliver.

Hopefully she will be good for potentially 780 SLI or 770 SLI down the track and potentially OC Haswell

Thanks Guys.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 07:31 AM   #28
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Cooler master psu = crap. From their high end to the low end. I've bought multiple psu's from them giving it one chance after another and I think the only one still standing is a 650 watt from ages ago that got almost 0 use.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 09:02 AM   #29
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Big fan of Seasonic and Silverstone.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 05:39 AM   #30
KAC
That postcount though...

Dude, overclock that PSU. Create a 30 page thread about it