Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Operating Systems
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Operating Systems Discussion topics on operating systems including all iterations of Windows, Linux, MacOS, BeOS, etc.

Old Aug 22, 2008, 02:51 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

{0}Salamander{0} is still being judged by the masses

Default Laptop: Vista or XP for best battery life?

I have recently aquired my first ever laptop after having and building desktops for decades, I thought it was about time I gave a portable a go.

My question is, that I see it comes pre-loaded with Vista basic, but was wondering if I would get better battery life with XP?

I notice that there are some 78 processes running under Vista, as well as it being far more GUI intensive, I just wonder if that that guff is sucking more battery life than it would under XP?

Or is there no difference?

Are there any other tips to improve battery life (aside from reducing the screen backlight).

Cheers.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 04:43 AM   #2
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Vista is better with battery life on an laptop because of the optimized battery features it has.

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 02:53 PM   #3
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Vista SP1
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 22, 2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Espíritu_de_América
Radeon Northern Islands

Espíritu_de_América is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Vista is better with battery life on an laptop because of the optimized battery features it has.
QFT as long as the laptop supports Vista properly. A Dell Latitude D600 doesn't support SpeedStep with Vista, but a Dell Latitude D610 supports it without a problem.
Espíritu_de_América is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 08:54 PM   #5
xxJACKxx
Radeon R420

xxJACKxx is still being judged by the masses

I've found them to be pretty close to even in battery life, but I highly recommend Vista for a laptop. The power management is much more reliable, and I noticed my laptop runs quite a bit cooler with Vista. That, and wireless is way easier in Vista.
xxJACKxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 10:34 PM   #6
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

XP. No prefetch = moar battery
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 02:31 AM   #7
genci88
lololololol

genci88 is still being judged by the masses

Vista.

- The hardest thing about getting a Mac is telling your parents that you're gay.

- If I had the choice between being gay and owning a Mac, I would rather be gay, because if I owned a Mac I would be both gay and own a horrible computer.

- Imagine a giant cock flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're like "Oh man, I'm gonna have to suck this thing", and you brace yourself to suck this giant cock. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "Well, at least I got that out of the way", but then the giant cock rears back and stabs your eye again, and again, and again. Eventually, this giant cock is penetrating your gray matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor skills. That's when the giant cock slaps you across the cheek, causing you to fall out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant cock finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests comfortably for 4, maybe 5 hours. That's what using Mac OSX is like.
genci88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 02:34 AM   #8
genci88
lololololol

genci88 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorXtar View Post
lulzwat? XP too has prefetch.

And there are countless tests proving Vista to be best as far as battery life is concerned.

- The hardest thing about getting a Mac is telling your parents that you're gay.

- If I had the choice between being gay and owning a Mac, I would rather be gay, because if I owned a Mac I would be both gay and own a horrible computer.

- Imagine a giant cock flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're like "Oh man, I'm gonna have to suck this thing", and you brace yourself to suck this giant cock. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "Well, at least I got that out of the way", but then the giant cock rears back and stabs your eye again, and again, and again. Eventually, this giant cock is penetrating your gray matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor skills. That's when the giant cock slaps you across the cheek, causing you to fall out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant cock finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests comfortably for 4, maybe 5 hours. That's what using Mac OSX is like.
genci88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 10:10 AM   #9
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Do you even think before you respond to stuff or is mild retardation making that difficult?
Old Aug 23, 2008, 02:08 PM   #10
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by genci88 View Post
lulzwat? XP too has prefetch.

And there are countless tests proving Vista to be best as far as battery life is concerned.
XP doesn't have the super-retarded prefetch that uses the HDD all the time. If you have a flash-based disc, then maybe super-retardo prefetch won't waste that much more battery life.
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 02:28 PM   #11
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
XP doesn't have the super-retarded prefetch that uses the HDD all the time. If you have a flash-based disc, then maybe super-retardo prefetch won't waste that much more battery life.
Head on over to google and check out some of the mainstream tests that have been performed. XP vs. Vista for battery life was a close call with XP winning out until Vista SP1 was released.

Hence, why I responded Vista SP1 is better for longterm battery life.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 03:15 PM   #12
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Superfetch only beats up the hard drive for the first week of a new OS install or SP release. After that it doesn't thrash the drive anymore then regular prefetching in XP. Once that's done, then Vista kills XP for battery life. And if the notebook happens to be equiped with one of those Intel flash memory units for use with Readyboost, then Vista gets away with only a day or so of disk thrashing before stabilizing.

As an additional note though, I just reinstalled Vista last week and only had an hour of disk thrashing before it settled down. But that's on a desktop equiped with some pretty fast drives in a RAID 5 array...

Last edited by moshpit : Aug 23, 2008 at 03:18 PM.
moshpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 04:00 PM   #13
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

I think SP1 optimizes the indexing thrashing so it's not so power hungry or obvious.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 08:16 PM   #14
Espíritu_de_América
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
Superfetch only beats up the hard drive for the first week of a new OS install or SP release. After that it doesn't thrash the drive anymore then regular prefetching in XP. Once that's done, then Vista kills XP for battery life. And if the notebook happens to be equiped with one of those Intel flash memory units for use with Readyboost, then Vista gets away with only a day or so of disk thrashing before stabilizing.

As an additional note though, I just reinstalled Vista last week and only had an hour of disk thrashing before it settled down. But that's on a desktop equiped with some pretty fast drives in a RAID 5 array...
http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/data...entus_5400.pdf

Typical laptop HDD and the difference between idle and seek (load) is 1.2W, so the power draw is negligible. SSDs make the difference that much less.

What gives Vista the advantages are it's advanced power saving features for laptops.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature...wer_management

You'll also see at the bottom of that part in regards to what was added with SP1 for Vista.

Beginning with Windows Vista Service Pack 1, the operating system can turn off periodic VSync interrupt counting of CPU when the screen is not being refreshed from new graphics or mouse activity. This can result in significant energy savings.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 05:33 PM   #15
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

{0}Salamander{0} is still being judged by the masses

Is there any way of say stopping the HDD spinning (to save battery) if you are watching a DVD or watching a film off a USB stick?
Old Aug 26, 2008, 06:14 PM   #16
Espíritu_de_América
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by {0}Salamander{0} View Post
Is there any way of say stopping the HDD spinning (to save battery) if you are watching a DVD or watching a film off a USB stick?
A laptop HDD when idle uses a whopping 0.2W or so.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 08:08 PM   #17
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by {0}Salamander{0} View Post
Start - Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Power Options - Select Power Plan: Change Plan Options : Change Advanced Settings - expand Hard Disk - expand Turn Hard Disk off after : set to your desired time - 5mins, 20 mins etc.

Old Aug 26, 2008, 09:49 PM   #18
Espíritu_de_América
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Start - Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Power Options - Select Power Plan: Change Plan Options : Change Advanced Settings - expand Hard Disk - expand Turn Hard Disk off after : set to your desired time - 5mins, 20 mins etc.
Very good that you are aware how to change these settings. However, if a computer is actively in use (ie watching DVD or movie from USB drive) then the computer will not go into Standby (ie Sleep) and the hard drive cannot shut off if the system is not in Sleep.

I knew that and just tried to let him know that idle 2.5-inch HDDs don't use much power at all.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 01:32 PM   #19
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

My thinkpad, while typing notes in class, I can milk 3.5 hours out of the battery, running Vista Business x86.

T7300, 4GB, 7K200, 1440x900, Quadro NVS140M, 6cell battery.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:04 PM   #20
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

battery life is about the same on my e1705
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 04:43 AM   #21
seeker010
chaotic evil

seeker010 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espíritu_de_América View Post
Very good that you are aware how to change these settings. However, if a computer is actively in use (ie watching DVD or movie from USB drive) then the computer will not go into Standby (ie Sleep) and the hard drive cannot shut off if the system is not in Sleep.

I knew that and just tried to let him know that idle 2.5-inch HDDs don't use much power at all.
say what
Old Sep 9, 2008, 10:52 PM   #22
Espíritu_de_América
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker010 View Post
say what
Try it. Play a DVD and see if your system drive shuts off at any point. Secondary drives will power off, sure. But your main system drive (especially in a laptop) will not.

I tried it on a Dell Latitude D610 and it wouldn't do it.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:11 PM   #23
Bobby_Star

Bobby_Star is still being judged by the masses

Every benchmark I've read concerning battery life has shown Vista to be more of a hog than XP. In fact people were complaining about Vista's poor impact on battery life.
Bobby_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 02:46 PM   #24
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Star View Post
Every benchmark I've read concerning battery life has shown Vista to be more of a hog than XP. In fact people were complaining about Vista's poor impact on battery life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Head on over to google and check out some of the mainstream tests that have been performed. XP vs. Vista for battery life was a close call with XP winning out until Vista SP1 was released.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 06:59 AM   #25
SteadVéx
Radeon Sea Islands

SteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

if your concerned about constant hd activity, and it sucking all the power of out the battery, if u've got 2gb or more of ram just turn off the paging file, with that enabled the hd will pretty much never powerdown, at least thats my experiance, but a dvd drive watching a film sucks up a lot more power than the hd

but yes, i agree with everyone with common sense in this thread! vista sp1 is the way forward for laptops, you can always set it to the default power savings scheme, add's an hour + to my gf's core2 laptop
SteadVéx is offline   Reply With Quote