Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old May 7, 2002, 10:40 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
B.S.

B.S. is still being judged by the masses

Default Why can't my sytem run RTCW?

I have a 990 Athlon, 256mb sytem RAM, and a Radeon 32mb DDR. My sytem can't run RTCW for crap. I set all the graphics to the absolute lowest settings, and I still get a framerate of about 30fps. I talked to the guy at my local Software Etc., and he said my hardware is more than capable. I can't figure out why it doesn't run. I tried overclocking my GPU and V-RAM, but it didn't help. But what really gets me is that my sytem will run Quake 3 perfectly, with all the highest settings, and 1024x768, and about a framerate of 70fps. But it just doesn't run RTCW. I can't figure out why, and I am running out of options. Can anybody help me?

btw, I am sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this.
Old May 7, 2002, 10:57 AM   #2
karlotta
they are real

karlotta is still being judged by the masses

not to sure but is all the settings in the ATI display tabs on low or off? [That would be the windows display propertys.]
karlotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2002, 08:21 PM   #3
B.S.

EVERYTHING is set to the lowest graphics possible. I just can't figure it out.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 7, 2002, 10:17 PM   #4
BeardedClem
Nine and a half Courics

BeardedClem is still being judged by the masses

What drivers are you using? do any others help? Do you have DirectX8.1 installed? Does this happen to any other game? Are there any problems reported in DirectX diagnostics?
BeardedClem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2002, 12:09 PM   #5
Armand
Radeon R300

Armand is still being judged by the masses

Did you have the game check your hardware by using "Recommended Settings"?
512M PC2700
WD 80g 7200rpm
Compaq Qvision 21" Monitor
Armand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2002, 08:20 PM   #6
B.S.

I update my sound card drivers, chipset drivers, and Radeon drivers about weekly. I have DirectX8.1 installed. I tried using the recommended settings, but it still is slow and choppy.

I know the newer drivers help, because some of my older drivers wouldn't even run the game at all. It would lock up whenever the opening cutscene started. At least now I can run the game, but it is still crappy.

I have the little utility RadeonTweaker, but I don't know how to set the OpenGL setings. Can anybody tell me how to sqeeze performance out of it? I prefer a good framerate to good textures. My friend has a P4 with a 64mb SDR Radeon, and he can run it perfectly. Is it because of the low V-RAM? Is there a way I could use system RAM to store textures? Would that help? What about the 'com_hunkmegs' and 'soundmegs' settings? Could I tweak those to get better framerate?

My system runs Unreal Tournament, Half-life, Unreal Gold, Quake 3, and Aliens vs. Predator perfeclty with a high framerate. It only occurs with RTCW.
Old May 10, 2002, 08:43 PM   #7
BeardedClem
Nine and a half Courics

BeardedClem is still being judged by the masses

It almost sounds like your agp texture acceleration is disabled and all your using is video ram. Those other games are older and use smaller, less detailed textures so 32mb of vram is ok.

Go to Start-->Run and type dxdiag.exe and click the display tab and make sure AGP acceleration is enabled.
BeardedClem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2002, 12:54 PM   #8
B.S.

I just checked the AGP acceleration. It is and was enabled. What if I used RadeonTweaker to enable the card to use system RAM when the V-RAM is full? I know there is an option to do that in there.