Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:13 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Voodooking
Radeon R300

Voodooking is still being judged by the masses

Default No Win98 support...sob sob..

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting ATI Technical Support.

Radeon 9xxx Specifications

The Radeon 9000 series (Radeon 9000 Pro and Radeon 9700) will run on Win XP,
Win 2000 and Win Me.
It will not work in Windows 98/se/95/NT, therefore there will be no driver
support for these operating systems.

Please check the online technical specifications for more information about
these products:

Radeon 9000 Pro: http://www.ati.com/products/pc/radeon9000pro/specs.html

Radeon 9700: http://www.ati.com/products/pc/radeon9700/specs.html

If your question is not answered, or you have another technical issue,
please re-submit your query via our Online "Request for Assistance" form
available at the link below and choose Other in the subject field:
www.ati.com/online/euroform

The details requested in this form will assist us in providing you with the
most accurate information available for your situation.

Please also include your original email or a brief description of your
problem in the reply.

Thank you for contacting ATI.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:19 AM   #2
SilentSnipeR
Radeon R600

SilentSnipeR is still being judged by the masses

wuite possible the WinME drivers will work in Win98SE since they both use WDM drivers. Though, the original Win98 will not work at all.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:37 AM   #3
muzz
Rage3D Veteran

muzz is still being judged by the masses

To be perfectly honest with you I did NOT want to get another MS product after 98, I've even stated as much........ I did however finally make the plunge and get the XP Home upgrade. I formatted my C: drive, and installed the upgrade fresh ( and did the 98 cd swap when asked). After I set everything up I disabled all BS that XP runs by default, and set it to run only what was necessary. I must admit IMHO it is a much more stable OS than 98 ( AGAIN IMHO ), also loads faster, and I have no problems running the things that I use. It does s**k that my NAV has to be upgraded to 2002 ( which I think is bs - money grubbers ). Other than that I think XP runs mint, and a very worthy upgrade. I think it was worth $99, for me anyways.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:43 AM   #4
Nazgul
Radeon Evergreen

Nazgul is still being judged by the masses

Is there going to be a DX9 download for either version of Win98? If not, that could explain why there will be no Win98 support for the 9700, and why they'd go so far as to say "it won't work with 98, so we're not gonna bother writing drivers".
"The Black Rider flung back his hood, and behold! he had a kingly crown; and yet upon no head visible was it set. The red fires shone between it and the mantled shoulders vast and dark. From a mouth unseen there came a deadly laughter. 'Old fool!' he said. 'Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!' And with that he lifted high his sword and flames ran down the blade."
Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:43 AM   #5
badland1
Radeon R300

badland1 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by muzz
To be perfectly honest with you I did NOT want to get another MS product after 98, I've even stated as much........ I did however finally make the plunge and get the XP Home upgrade. I formatted my C: drive, and installed the upgrade fresh ( and did the 98 cd swap when asked). After I set everything up I disabled all BS that XP runs by default, and set it to run only what was necessary. I must admit IMHO it is a much more stable OS than 98 ( AGAIN IMHO ), also loads faster, and I have no problems running the things that I use. It does s**k that my NAV has to be upgraded to 2002 ( which I think is bs - money grubbers ). Other than that I think XP runs mint, and a very worthy upgrade. I think it was worth $99, for me anyways.
By BS did you also disable services that are on by default?
Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:50 AM   #6
muzz
Rage3D Veteran

?
Old Jul 24, 2002, 11:09 AM   #7
badland1
Radeon R300

If you go into the administrative tools then services you will see what is running by default remote services,alerter etc... By turning some of these services (that you most likely won't be using anyway) off it frees up resources and potential security risks. http://www.blackviper.com and if you search around other sites have more info!
Old Jul 24, 2002, 01:16 PM   #8
Jordo
Radeon R420

Jordo is still being judged by the masses

hheheh, I suppose , now that i've seen the email from ati, WHICh btw, better not be a sick joke I'll have to go and upgrade to xp.....

fortunately for me, i have winXp corporate editon which works like all other ms. os's worked, you can format/install anytime anything goes wrong,,, BUT Guess what home/pro edtion are LIMTITED to TEN , YES ten installs so if you get the klez virus ten times, then m.s. says ooopss better buy another license,,, yea there are hacks, but there should be no need for a hack,, selling a limited license like that is illegal, but m.s. got away with it so.....
Old Jul 24, 2002, 02:40 PM   #9
muzz
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by badland1
If you go into the administrative tools then services you will see what is running by default remote services,alerter etc... By turning some of these services (that you most likely won't be using anyway) off it frees up resources and potential security risks. http://www.blackviper.com and if you search around other sites have more info!
Yep Bads, thats what I did , wasn't sure what you were asking me. Gotta get rid of the resource hogging BS, and it runs mint.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 03:10 PM   #10
m$-MaNiAC
Rage3D Veteran

m$-MaNiAC is still being judged by the masses

Red face

Windows 98????

what is that?

using only Windows NT based OS for 3 years now...

- Windows 2000
- Windows XP
- Windows .NET

;-)

Last edited by m$-MaNiAC : Jul 24, 2002 at 04:47 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 03:22 PM   #11
badland1
Radeon R300

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by muzz

Yep Bads, thats what I did , wasn't sure what you were asking me. Gotta get rid of the resource hogging BS, and it runs mint.
Good to hear! "What" Billys got something to tell all of us! http://www.theforumisdown.com/upload...0702/Billy.jpg
Old Jul 24, 2002, 03:33 PM   #12
muzz
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by badland1
Good to hear! "What" Billys got something to tell all of us! http://www.theforumisdown.com/upload...0702/Billy.jpg
http://www.theforumisdown.com/redx.gif

Down.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 04:36 PM   #13
rayzian
brokestatus

rayzian is still being judged by the masses

what services did you guys disable?

honestly, i have no idea which ones to disable..
Old Jul 24, 2002, 04:50 PM   #14
Comics

Comics is still being judged by the masses

I wouldn't be surprised if there was no DirectX 9 for 98, as MS is trying to phase out 98 for the same reasons they don't support NT 4 anymore.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 05:17 PM   #15
badland1
Radeon R300

Quote:
Originally posted by razbir
what services did you guys disable?

honestly, i have no idea which ones to disable..
Here's a few guides with more insight! This really should be in the operating system forum though! http://www.deviantpc.com/forums/show...&threadid=1926 http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,10918,00.asp http://www.3dspotlight.com/tweaks/wi...rvices-3.shtml
Old Jul 24, 2002, 05:36 PM   #16
badland1
Radeon R300

Quote:
Originally posted by Comics
I wouldn't be surprised if there was no DirectX 9 for 98, as MS is trying to phase out 98 for the same reasons they don't support NT 4 anymore.
I think they will be releasing dx9 final version with the final version of sp1 for xp.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 06:15 PM   #17
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally posted by Comics
Because they realize it's a better OS than all of the invasive PoS they've released since?
Old Jul 24, 2002, 06:44 PM   #18
kegking
LOL MOD ABUSE

kegking is still being judged by the masses

My .02

Every current OS I’ve wanted to upgrade to the next (3.11->95->98/SE->ME (50 bucks who could complain!!)->XP). But until some major (next best) thing comes up I’m going to stick with XP (PRO). Where w2k focused mostly on stability (at the coast of home usability) XP has that right balance or backdoors, exploits and backwards compatibility.
| Lite-on 24102B | Pioneer DVD-115 |
------------------------
7/7/04 NEVAR FORGET
Old Jul 24, 2002, 07:06 PM   #19
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Dyre Straits is still being judged by the masses

Question

What is it about Windows ME that makes it that much different from 98SE?
I've had a ME CD for a while, but, from all I've read about it - and from the experience of those I know who used it (notice past tense), I decided to stick with 98SE.

Once XP's SP1 is released, I may, at that time, or soon afterwards, give some serious consideration to getting it. However, I would be getting mine via the purchase of a newer computer. It's been over two years since my last major CPU/Motherboard upgrade, so it's way past my usual time span for doing so. This way I get a new system that comes with XP and don't have to lay out separate funds for it.

Dyre Straits
~Windows 10 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX R9 390 8GB GDDR5~3 Acer 27 inch LCDs~SCEPTRE 505 4K UHD TVand one Sanyo 32 inch HDTV connected via Intel onboard GPU~SATA BluRay RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~AND....1 TB XBOX ONE~1 PS4 with Uncharted Bundle~

Quote:
If you have an issue with what you said, please resolve it in private ;)
Old Jul 24, 2002, 07:21 PM   #20
X-Modach
Radeon R520

X-Modach is still being judged by the masses

No support for 98SE?

Damn, gotta pirate another OS.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 08:22 PM   #21
BillGtheIV
Radeon R420

BillGtheIV is still being judged by the masses

Default It might be true

I can see that how it might NOT be officially supported. There's not a HUGE difference between 95 & 98 (granted the difference between 98 & ME is a lot less), but DirectX 8.1 DOES say that it does not support windows 95.

So there is a precedent.

AMD Athlon64 3000+
1GB RAM
ATI All-in-Wonder® X800 XT
Windows XP
Old Jul 24, 2002, 08:35 PM   #22
Rancidm
Radeon R420

Rancidm is still being judged by the masses

Get a real OS
2x512MB Crucial Ballastix
All-in-Wonder X800XL AGP
M-audio Revolution 5.1
2x 36gig WD Raptor (Raid 0)
1x 200gig Seagate 7200.7
Windows XP Pro
Old Jul 24, 2002, 09:50 PM   #23
SilentSnipeR
Radeon R600

SilentSnipeR is still being judged by the masses

you people are dumb. did you even see my post above? :/
Win98 and Win95 uses the VXD system to make drivers. From what it looks like, ATI are sick of using that system to support an aging os, so they've moved to the WDM system of making drivers. WinME drivers will work for Win98SE, becuase it uses the WDM system. The ifirst edition of Win98 unfortunetly dosen't.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:14 PM   #24
AKDUDE
Radeon R300

AKDUDE is still being judged by the masses

Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:25 PM   #25
BillGtheIV
Radeon R420

Quote:
Originally posted by SilentSnipeR
Win98 and Win95 uses the VXD system to make drivers. From what it looks like, ATI are sick of using that system to support an aging os, so they've moved to the WDM system of making drivers. WinME drivers will work for Win98SE, becuase it uses the WDM system. The ifirst edition of Win98 unfortunetly dosen't.
If that is the only reason, why did they not support Win95 with DX8.1? Obviously, MS is trying to move away from the older OSs altogether. I'm just surprised they included WinME support for the card.

AMD Athlon64 3000+
1GB RAM
Windows XP
Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:35 PM   #26
GarfBond
Radeon R300

GarfBond is still being judged by the masses

See this page: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle.asp?gssnb=1

Microsoft is putting Windows 98 in "extended phase," which means they are ending free support for these products. You can still buy support from them though. By next year, Microsoft is going to throwing 98 in the "salvage" pile. So it is entirely possible that MS themselves will stop supporting 98 very soon, possibly encouraging ATI to stop supporting 98.
Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:54 PM   #27
BillGtheIV
Radeon R420

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by SilentSnipeR
Since when? Why can you use Win 98 (first edition) drivers in Win ME systems and vice versa? (except of course for some things like USB) And CANNOT use Win2000 drivers in ME?

Because they both use the VxD format!

The only difference is that Win ME has more checks to see if the drivers are digitally signed or not. Otherwise, they are the same stuff.

Before you call people stupid, check your facts

AMD Athlon64 3000+
1GB RAM
Windows XP
Old Jul 25, 2002, 12:05 AM   #28
ss1
Java Beans

Location: In the deepest dark depths of space far away from civilisation. This place is only know as "Aberystwyth UK"......
ss1 is still being judged by the masses

Win98 SE if I recall correclty only has WDM 1.0 which was MS's test bed for WDM. However ME, Win2K, and WinXP all feature WDM 2.0 (IIRC) and hence allowing a company to realse one driver file to support three OS's at once.

Proof:

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/585ftp.asp

Turtle Beach for their Santa Cruz sound card only use's one Driver file to support ME, Win2K and WinXP, whilst the Win98 SE WDM driver is kept seperate.

ss1.
VideoCard: Gainward Geforce4 Ti4400 128mb DDR ViVO
Monitor: LG 915FT+ Flatron 19" 1600x1200 @ 85hz & LG Flatron LCD 563LE 1,024x768 @ 75hz
RAM: 512MB DDR
Storage: 2 x 40Gb Segate Barracuda IV's (7,200 rpm), 20Gb Segate U6 (5,200 rpm), Zip 250 IDE, Pioneer 16x DVD, Sony 32x10x40 CD-RW
SoundCard: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (5.1 Digital) & SB Audigy Player (4.1 Analouge)
Speakers: Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 5.1 Digital + Sony MDR-V150 Headphones[/size]
Old Jul 25, 2002, 12:08 AM   #29
BillGtheIV
Radeon R420

Quote:
Originally posted by ss1
Win98 SE if I recall correclty only has WDM 1.0 which was MS's test bed for WDM. However ME, Win2K, and WinXP all feature WDM 2.0 (IIRC) and hence allowing a company to realse one driver file to support three OS's at once.

Proof:

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/585ftp.asp

Turtle Beach for their Santa Cruz sound card only use's one Driver file to support ME, Win2K and WinXP, whilst the Win98 SE WDM driver is kept seperate.

ss1.
win me, though, still uses the win9x Vxd as well.

Proof?

Same web site as you put in, I got this line

s481me9x.zip 20670457 03-27-01 WINDOWS 9x, ME | VxD drivers v.4081 |

AMD Athlon64 3000+
1GB RAM
Windows XP
Old Jul 25, 2002, 12:21 AM   #30
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

night can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally posted by X-Modach
No support for 98SE?

Damn, gotta pirate another OS.

and i gotta swap out my key