Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Apr 3, 2010, 06:09 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
xNaquada
/u/xnaquada

xNaquada is still being judged by the masses

Default Sooo I just made the jump to a HD5850

From a 8800gts320mb. 299$cad!
So..... Happy....

LOL.

Any games I should play?

Already playing

Metro2033 (actually playable Dx11/high/noaa 16x10 =)
BFBC2
Stalker COP
GTA 4 (what a big jump in visuals this one was)
Normal source engine stuff (Tf2/l4d2/CSS)

Right now Im impressed with the Image Quality of the 5850, especially in CSS (Since i used to play that so much), there are very nice darks/shadows in tunnels in dust2.... I dont know how to describe it, but the 5850 Image quality is better.
Same when watching videos in VLC. Seems the DARKS are more dark, and the colouring is better than with the 8800, which is awesome.

At first I thought it was placebo so I reinstalled the 8800 and played the same video (and css), and it wasnt. There is a remarkable difference.

So ... Happy!

Also yay that my 5850 wasnt a dud like the 3 previous 5770's were. That was a bit nerve wracking.

Shameless plug: If anyones looking for a 8800 let me know =)

Last edited by xNaquada : Apr 3, 2010 at 06:11 AM.
xNaquada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 06:48 AM   #2
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Except Stalker COP i suggest you should play Dragon's Origins immersive game..Another type of games that i recommend with much warmth over "usual" big buget titles are Independent games that are very very creative and original and you will have a hell new perspective on what can be done with computer..
After having played on computer since Z80 loading games from tapes i just can't promote big titles anymore.I am disgusted..Unfortunetly for you in some way you bought an expensive VGA that is usually put at full use in big buget titles but i hope you begin change your mind.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 07:10 AM   #3
xNaquada
/u/xnaquada

So you dont like big budget games or games that are big title (Metro/bfbc2 for ex) but yet you feel unfortunate for me because you only want to play Indie games?
Also Dragon Age I've already played.

Makes no sense... but thats ok, youre entitled to your own opinion. Enjoy using a 5850(which I see you have +a [email protected]) for indie games..."that's rather unfortunate."

Thanks for coming out!
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 3, 2010, 09:00 AM   #4
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

A card like that is way too expensive for Indie games and you still need (is part of all humans) to justify such purchase and this is why i said it will be harder to make a transition to more brainer games with that kind of rig ..I recommend Dirt (both) but Dirt 1 is better imo..
I also may replay som URU (Myst) games that are very old ...
Is not about not liking big buget games is about that they are very poor and same stupid concept..
The idea is that i already purchased the card when lunched with some degree of blind hope (in september)..You purchased now.. This is why i said what i said.If you have asked before buying it i wouldn't recommend buying it at all because the reason i said in the first line...
For example the top stupidity was achieved by EA recently with CnC 4 tiberium twilight and battles between corporate suckers who the hell make the war in Afganistan more American propagandistic (Call of duty modern warfare 2, next installment of medal of honour)...
EA with CnC4 showed the complete disrespect for us gamers...I don't they couldn't do it any worse..
The conclusion is to stop investing in stupidity ...
No offence to ya personally ...

Last edited by badsykes : Apr 3, 2010 at 09:08 AM.
badsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:27 AM   #5
FiggyG
Radeon Caribbean Islands

FiggyG once held a door open for a complete strangerFiggyG once held a door open for a complete strangerFiggyG once held a door open for a complete stranger

Just Cause 2 is the only thing that comes to mind.

3 5770's duds?! What manufacturer were they?
FiggyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:03 AM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNaquada View Post
Right now Im impressed with the Image Quality of the 5850, especially in CSS (Since i used to play that so much), there are very nice darks/shadows in tunnels in dust2.... I dont know how to describe it, but the 5850 Image quality is better.
Same when watching videos in VLC. Seems the DARKS are more dark, and the colouring is better than with the 8800, which is awesome.

At first I thought it was placebo so I reinstalled the 8800 and played the same video (and css), and it wasnt. There is a remarkable difference.

So ... Happy!
It's the superior Anisotropic Filtering.

caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:08 AM   #7
xNaquada
/u/xnaquada

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiggyG View Post
Just Cause 2 is the only thing that comes to mind.

3 5770's duds?! What manufacturer were they?
2 XFX and 1 Sapphire

1 from newegg, 1 from ncix, 1 from canada computers.

The worst luck ive ever had.

@caveman
LOL? AF for videos? (serious question...) I think its just "Theatre mode"?
Old Apr 4, 2010, 08:52 AM   #8
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Congrats. Besides a few driver quirks you should be happy with gaming considering nVidia totally skull****ed their line up this season...
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 04:40 PM   #9
FiggyG
Radeon Caribbean Islands

FiggyG once held a door open for a complete strangerFiggyG once held a door open for a complete strangerFiggyG once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
2 XFX and 1 Sapphire

1 from newegg, 1 from ncix, 1 from canada computers.

The worst luck ive ever had.

@caveman
LOL? AF for videos? (serious question...) I think its just "Theatre mode"?
Thanks, I was looking to ditch my 512MB 3850 and go to a 1GB 5770... that kinda scares me. Any particular reason you didn't go with a 5830?
FiggyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:47 PM   #10
Blacklash
Che cazzo stai dicendo?

Blacklash is still being judged by the masses

Enjoy.

You should do fine with Just Cause 2. I was getting about 68FPS with 4xAA|16xAF @ 1920x1200 and all enabled/on using a single HD 5870. With Crossfire I'm well into the 100s.

Overclocked HD 5850 Crossfire is one of the best things going IMO. A single OCed 5850 is great too.
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 08:53 AM   #11
xNaquada
/u/xnaquada

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiggyG View Post
Thanks, I was looking to ditch my 512MB 3850 and go to a 1GB 5770... that kinda scares me. Any particular reason you didn't go with a 5830?
Because a 5830 costs 2(yes 2$ lol)-40 dollars less than a 5850 right now, and oddly uses more power than a 5850, while a 5850 offers far superior performance.
Best to check out some benchmark reviews to see the difference.

Also 5850 came with Dirt2 (or from what I saw, also MW2)while 5830 comes with MW2.

If the 5830 was 200/220 maybe, but its overpriced.

Beware 5770s. Something is seriously wrong, and you will play a lottery.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 09:09 AM   #12
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
It's the superior Anisotropic Filtering.

Old Apr 8, 2010, 09:40 AM   #13
ExoTic
Banned

ExoTic is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
From a 8800gts320mb. 299$cad!
So..... Happy....

LOL.

Any games I should play?

Already playing

Metro2033 (actually playable Dx11/high/noaa 16x10 =)
BFBC2
Stalker COP
GTA 4 (what a big jump in visuals this one was)
Normal source engine stuff (Tf2/l4d2/CSS)

So ... Happy!

Also yay that my 5850 wasnt a dud like the 3 previous 5770's were. That was a bit nerve wracking.

Shameless plug: If anyones looking for a 8800 let me know =)
Congrats! i find that ati Image Quality seems to be better than nvidia since the dawn of 9700 PRO! dis coming from a former owner of 3x 285 in tri-sli setup.
ExoTic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 03:13 PM   #14
friskyolive
Looking down on you!

friskyolive is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoTic View Post
Congrats! i find that ati Image Quality seems to be better than nvidia since the dawn of 9700 PRO! dis coming from a former owner of 3x 285 in tri-sli setup.
It's better since the 8500 and lesser models. And 3 5770's in crossfire challenges the 5970 and wins in some benches.

[CPU]: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core Processor AM3 3.4GHZ 8MB Cache 125W 45NM [MOBO]: ASUS M4A78T-E ATX 790GX Socket AM3 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI HDMI Video Sound GBLAN Motherboard[GPU]: Powercolor Radeon HD 5770 In Crossfire [SOUND]: Corsair Gaming Audio Series CA-HS1A Headset 50MM Drivers Circumaural Earcups and the Creative Sound Blaster X-FI TITANIUM Fatality PRO with Yamaha 5590 Receiver[MEMORY]: OCZ (OCZ3G1600LV4GK) DDR3 1600MHz Gold Edition Low Voltage 4GB (2x2048MB) Dual Channel and G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB [MONITOR]: DELL U2410, 24W, OPT/FPWS,CUS [HD]: Western Digital 320GB and 1 TB Black Edition [Optical Drives]: LG GSA-4167B Dual Layer DVD±R/RW Drive [PSU]: Corsair HX 1000 watt [OS]: Win7 64-bit Professional On a Antec 1200 Full Tower Case.
friskyolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:08 PM   #15
oracleskateboar
i love 40 yr old moms

oracleskateboar is still being judged by the masses

good choice!