Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Aug 1, 2008, 01:16 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
NissanNazi
Needs more boost!

NissanNazi is still being judged by the masses

Default Made the jump

Purchased a Sapphire HD4850 from Newegg last night. It will be replacing my XFX 8600GT so I'm sure I'll see a HUGE improvement . It's nice to be back with ATI again

NissanNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 01:51 PM   #2
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanNazi View Post
Purchased a Sapphire HD4850 from Newegg last night. It will be replacing my XFX 8600GT so I'm sure I'll see a HUGE improvement . It's nice to be back with ATI again
Hope it goes well for you.
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 10:10 PM   #3
becco
Radeon Evergreen

becco is still being judged by the masses

From 8600GT to HD4850 is really a BIG jump for sure
congratz

My YouTube
becco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 1, 2008, 10:19 PM   #4
DnL
HD3850 AGP 512MB

DnL is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up

Grats, you made no mistake. I actually envy you
Old Aug 1, 2008, 10:43 PM   #5
PStar

PStar is still being judged by the masses

I think you made a good choice considering the reviews from actual users.
I usually make my decisions on computer equipment based on actual user reviews and I take all website reviews with a mild setiment, simply because they are given the cards for free or getting paid to promote the card makers products. With that said I understand that most users are actually having exceptional LUCK with this card other than high temperatures. It seems as if ATI got serious this time about making a card that is very playable. I havent read anywhere yet but its a little to soon to tell, but I hope that the card isn't crippled in any way by the drivers, but I wouldn't rule it out just yet.
PStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2008, 08:39 AM   #6
NissanNazi
Needs more boost!

Well I did my research and I know about the driver issues and the heat but I'm prepared to tackle the heat issue. As for the drivers we will see what happens but either way it's a BIG jump from my 8600gt. The last ATI card I had was a 9800XT and I loved it so hopefully this card will match my last experience with ATI.

Last edited by NissanNazi : Aug 2, 2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 09:18 AM   #7
Maverickman
Radeon R700

Maverickman is still being judged by the masses

The HD 4850 is an excellent choice as it is a single-slot solution that beats the 8800 GT by a good margin. It's the best card out there for price/performance IMO. The GTX 260 can beat it in some benchmarks while losing to it in others, but that card has higher power demands and is a dual-slot card.

The one danger with the HD48xx series is excessive heat, but I haven't had any problems with my 4870. It does idle at 80 degrees though.
1GB WD HDD 7200 RPM 64MB cache
16X DVD and BluRay
27-inch Monitor 1920X1080
Maverickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2008, 09:41 AM   #8
NissanNazi
Needs more boost!

Well it came down to the 9800GTX+ or the HD4850 and in the end it was the single slot design and the fact that I can use my current power supply with the HD4850. I had a hard time buying an ATI card since I have a lot of shares of Nvidia stock oh well I guess it was just the better card for me this time.

Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:10 AM   #9
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

There is NO heat issue, As stated by people who work for ATI here, The temps are well within spec. I don't quite get why people here continue to say there is a heat issue. My 4850 runs at 80 to 85c without issue.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 02:41 PM   #10
ShylockHolmes
Banned

ShylockHolmes is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickman View Post
The HD 4850 is an excellent choice as it is a single-slot solution that beats the 8800 GT by a good margin. It's the best card out there for price/performance IMO. The GTX 260 can beat it in some benchmarks while losing to it in others, but that card has higher power demands and is a dual-slot card.

The one danger with the HD48xx series is excessive heat, but I haven't had any problems with my 4870. It does idle at 80 degrees though.

Are you still using the hotfix drivers? Mine use to Idle at 82 using them. I updated to the 8.7 WHQL and I now idle at 61.
ShylockHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 11:33 PM   #11
cvearl
God uses ATI.

cvearl is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShylockHolmes View Post
Are you still using the hotfix drivers? Mine use to Idle at 82 using them. I updated to the 8.7 WHQL and I now idle at 61.
I am not sure why in your case you are idling so low. That's great! But everyone else I talk to it's 80C as the norm and is completely on purpose.

I idle at 80c regarldess of 8.6 or 8.7's as well. (I am not calling you a liar though. Anyhting is possible)

But to those that call it a problem... I have proven to myself that 80c is the BIOS's target temperature fot the 4870. It is programmed to allow and hold at 80c so the fan is silent at the desktop. My house can be 18C in the morning and 28C in the afternoon and my card is 80C no matter what. I can turn the rear case fan on stupid fast and it makes no difference. I tried a 120mm in the front blowing across the card and it dropped to 79C and the coolers fan was almost hardly moving. This proves the card is hard coded to hold at 80C at the desktop.

I will have to repeat for the masses. Both my 8800GT's (2 different models I owned at different times) idled only 5c cooler than my 4870 and actually were 5c hotter under load than my 4870. Same with my friend who runs an Alphadog edition 8800GT. So that is 3 different 8800GT's I have access to that I tested.

Now that said, my 4870 resulted in lower case temps as it exhausts the heat and the 8800GT's don't. As a result, my CPU fan spun faster when I had my 8800GT as a result of the increased case ambients heating my Intel CPU on account of higher interior temps.

Guess what! 8800GT currently has one of the largest install bases of gaming cards today. So. From first hand experience, I found many 8800GT's idle at aprox 75c and under load will hit the upper 80's. When overclocked, my 8800GT hit 90C all the time. My 7800GT sit's at 90C in the SIMS II regularly. Why all of a sudden is 80c - 85c a big deal? Because it's ATI? ATI is not allowed to operate in those ranges? No one said @$#% when it was nVidia. . Also my X800XL sat in the high 80's (86C if memory serves) under load as well when I still had it.

Thermally the 4870 AND the 4850 are within the same ranges give or take 5c as the world famous 8800GT's. Why does no one understand this.

C.

Welcome to Flight sim 2012 - http://youtu.be/rmZNMjn30XQ

The add ons...

Planes - http://www.carenado.com/CarSite/Port...ccion=products
Scenery - http://fullterrain.com/
Enviroment - http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/
Hardware - http://www.saitek.com/

Last edited by cvearl : Aug 4, 2008 at 11:41 PM.
cvearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 12:39 AM   #12
IM_ShambleS
Radeon R520

IM_ShambleS is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanNazi View Post
from a really bad card to a really good 1.. nice
its suprizing how many 8600 owners decide.. next time i should spend more on a gfx card.
so im suprized you didn't get a 4870 and sell a kidney if needed to buy 1.

the 3870 is a respectable step up from a 8600. im sure the 4850 is going to impress in comparison.

--------

80c idle???
no f'in way....thats rediculous. may be in spec but 80c? whats the power consumption on those things?
damn.. 80c
folding 24/7 on my 3870 @ 878clock = 60c highest temp..
80c?
id go mad. and use a freeer as a pc case..
80c idle & normal?
i'm stunned.

If any of my gfx card goes abocve 72c At full load for me. I reduce my overcliocking or get better cooling.
nd i dont care what temp's they are designed to run at. Nvidia or ati. Makes no diference to me. 72c max or i will start modding stuff.
ShambleS says:LMAO
Back

ShambleS says:so did u manage to fill the glass?
umm yes
ShambleS says:LOL

Last edited by IM_ShambleS : Aug 5, 2008 at 10:20 AM.
IM_ShambleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:42 AM   #13
NissanNazi
Needs more boost!

It's not that I can't afford a 4870, it's just that I'm a casual PC gamer. When I do game it's usually brushing up on my flying hours in Flight Simulator X which is mostly CPU dependant. I occasionally fire up UT3 or COD4 and since I run a 22" lcd the 4850 packs plenty of punch to do what I want it to do. Just because you have the cash for something doesn't mean you have to spend it

On another note I just checked my tracking number and looks like my card is out for delivery so when I get home I'll see what it can do.

Last edited by NissanNazi : Aug 5, 2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 07:37 PM   #14
NissanNazi
Needs more boost!

Got the card installed and WOW!! what an improvement Did not have to reformat just unistalled Nvidia drivers booted to safe mode and ran driver cleaner pro then shut down and swapped cards. When it booted up I installed Catalyst 8.8 and everything is running great. I'm glad I went with the 4850 Overdrive set my card at 690 core and 1033 memory so I think I'll leave it there.

Old Aug 5, 2008, 07:46 PM   #15
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

awesome. Glad it went well.
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:14 PM   #16
JesterOnYer6
Banned

JesterOnYer6 is still being judged by the masses

Nice card you will enjoy it.
JesterOnYer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:27 PM   #17
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

Congrats NissanNazi! I know you'll love that 4850, I sure love mine. And don't listen to the talk about high idle temps and whatnot, listen to this man:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvearl View Post
But everyone else I talk to it's 80C as the norm and is completely on purpose.
Mine idles at 80 as well and jumps up to 89-90 at load. No problems whatsoever with the card. I did have the fan fix on mine but after I changed drivers the last time I decided to just let them do there thing as they were intended. Long as it doesn't hurt anything I could care less how hot it was!

Be sure to check out some of the different AA modes, it was neat for me to compare them all to what nVidia had. I came from an 8800gts myself.
Jokerzwild is offline   Reply With Quote