Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Jun 4, 2016, 06:02 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Facebook might force you to install Messenger on Android

Quote:
One of the best thing you can do for your smartphone is to remove the Facebook app, and instead, use it in a browser. The advantages are multiple: it saves you storage space, it can save battery life, and it should prevent you from wasting precious time on Facebook when you shouldn’t be on Facebook. You can even remove the standalone Messenger app, and do all your Facebook chatting from the browser version of the app. But Facebook is about to make a major change to its mobile site, and potentially force you to install one extra app on your device.

Fresh dialogue spotted on the mobile Facebook website suggests that Facebook wants to prevent you from using the Messenger section of its app in the browser. Instead, the company will push you to install the mobile Messenger app on your phone.

According to Android Police, the company might soon force mobile users to download the Android version of Messenger. Assuming that’s accurate, then it probably means that all mobile users who like the browser version better than the Facebook app will see similar treatment.

Facebook already made changes to its mobile website that force the user to download the Messenger app from the Google Play store. Going to the messages tab redirects automatically to the store. Going back means stumbling upon this message: “Soon you’ll only be able to view your messages from Messenger.”

That means Facebook won’t even let you view your messages on mobile. Tapping on a conversation is possible, but you won’t be able to access it. Instead, you’re redirected a second time to the Messenger Android app.

That might not be such a hassle for many Facebook users who have already installed the mobile Messenger app. But it’s still worth noting that Facebook is becoming more and more aggressive about its Messenger app.

http://bgr.com/2016/06/03/facebook-m...r-android-app/
Big brother facebook is watching you.
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2016, 06:25 PM   #2
CyanBlues
Radeon Northern Islands

CyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
Big brother facebook is watching you.
but doesn't most web browser for android allow you to view in desktop mode? or is there something where even that will be blocked?
Old Jun 4, 2016, 06:31 PM   #3
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanBlues View Post
but doesn't most web browser for android allow you to view in desktop mode? or is there something where even that will be blocked?
All I know is that a few days ago trying to view facebook through my chrome browser and checking my messages forces me immediately to the google play store to download the messenger app, an app I don't need nor want due to their obscene permissions they require for your phone.
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 4, 2016, 06:36 PM   #4
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Pr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete stranger

I haven't looked into this for Chrome on Android, but any UserAgent changer extensions? That should be enough to fool the Facebook site into believing you're on a desktop. I guess they could be more aggressive in their detection to check IPs if you're on mobile data, but I'm guessing that would be too much hassle/problems for them.

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
Your f**king pets are being skinned alive.
Your mom's a f**king whore.
You suck at life.
The whole world hates you.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER
Pr3tty F1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2016, 06:41 PM   #5
blackberryphone
Radeon R300

blackberryphone is still being judged by the masses

as of a few days ago for me (blackberry os 10) the facebook app says it needs to update and is replaced with a link to open the site in a browser!

http://crackberry.com/facebook-black...e-not-going-it

makes me doubt there's any foreseeable end to facebook in browsers. Hilarious how each side gets what the other wants and is mad about it!
blackberryphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2016, 01:27 PM   #6
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Never put it on my S7 Edge. The app is **** anyway, never worked right from day one.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2016, 01:52 PM   #7
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Call me big brother lover but I use FB messenger for 90% of my communication with family and friends.

If they want to find out I like watching gagging videos and spend too much money on watches -- have at it.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 02:04 PM   #8
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

HyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled with

Never use it, just text or call. **** facebook.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 02:12 PM   #9
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
All I know is that a few days ago trying to view facebook through my chrome browser and checking my messages forces me immediately to the google play store to download the messenger app, an app I don't need nor want due to their obscene permissions they require for your phone.
If you enter www.facebook.com/home.php that should bypass you from having to download messenger
Old Jun 6, 2016, 03:33 PM   #10
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Yeah, noticed this as well. Frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
If you enter www.facebook.com/home.php that should bypass you from having to download messenger
Will have to try that out. Have zero interest in installing FB or FB Messenger on my phone, but still like to have full access via the browser.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 04:27 PM   #11
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Facebook Chat is pretty much how I message everyone now days. Doesn't matter which mobile OS you have. Hell, I've even called people from it.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2016, 04:43 PM   #12
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Facebook Chat is pretty much how I message everyone now days. Doesn't matter which mobile OS you have. Hell, I've even called people from it.
Same here -- not sure why everyone is getting so paranoid that they are important enough to think anyone cares who they are.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 05:42 PM   #13
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

HyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchAMG View Post
Same here -- not sure why everyone is getting so paranoid that they are important enough to think anyone cares who they are.
That's not the point. Apparently not wanting an extremely invasive app from an extremely invasive company on your phone means you are arrogant now. Brave new world folks.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 06:16 PM   #14
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
That's not the point. Apparently not wanting an extremely invasive app from an extremely invasive company on your phone means you are arrogant now. Brave new world folks.
I am sure there were Luddites complaining about Alexander Graham Bell and his telephone as well.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 06:24 PM   #15
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird sings

I haven't had a Fb account for 4 months now
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84
Xbox Live Gamer's Tag: Evileh

Sittal on BF2142 "
wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2016, 01:05 PM   #16
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

With the amount of data out and about, being collected and stored, we are all identifiable even when all things that make us easy to identify (ip/mac address, phone number) are removed. We can also be tracked to within 30 cm of our location. Algorithms are being written to identify potential law enforcement issues before they become issues (predictive policing). There's a reasonable reason to not want everything posted ever to be semi-publically known.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2016, 06:06 AM   #17
Adanu
MRA in Residence

Adanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchAMG View Post
I am sure there were Luddites complaining about Alexander Graham Bell and his telephone as well.
With computing and code the way it is these days, I'd rather make it as hard as possible for anyone to find information on me. Your comparison is invalid, seeing as all technology can be abused, but can be protected against.
Adanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2016, 06:15 AM   #18
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Never use it, just text or call. **** facebook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evileh View Post
I haven't had a Fb account for 4 months now
This. Social apps are not needed.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 09:25 PM   #19
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanBlues View Post
Android Metal.

/done
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2016, 01:54 PM   #20
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adanu View Post
With computing and code the way it is these days, I'd rather make it as hard as possible for anyone to find information on me. Your comparison is invalid, seeing as all technology can be abused, but can be protected against.
No one cares about the gimp chamber in your basement or your Masculism forums.