Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Jul 17, 2005, 01:30 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
huskylord
Radeon Arctic Islands

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Default Wow, had no idea the Xbox hardware mod scene was so huge

(mods delete this if Xbox mod talk is a nono)

So i have a buddy that's let me know a group of our friends are planning on getting myself an Xbox as a housewarming gift. Now, I follow the PC gaming scene alot more, but an Xbox still has so much going for it. But then when I learned about all these people using their modded xbox's to stream media directly from their computer's to their tv, well I started thinking about the possibilities (i think using XBMC)....but there are so many mod hardware configuration, options etc.....I'm a total noob at this stuff.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 02:32 PM   #2
Wunderchu
Radeon Northern Islands

Wunderchu is still being judged by the masses

if you're interested.. Xbox-Scene.com ( http://www.xboxscene.com ) seems to be one of the tops sites for this kind of stuff, I think..

May the light of the Lord shine upon your path.

{my avatar GIF was created by Blizzard Entertainment®}
Wunderchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 04:41 PM   #3
wonder squirrel
Godlike

wonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete stranger

Just softmodded my box awhile back. Easy as pie to transfer stuff through ftp, emu's, roms, game copies, movies, etc. etc. etc. so forth

Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 17, 2005, 07:05 PM   #4
bOb32
Radeon R520

bOb32 is still being judged by the masses

This could be useful if you don't have a PC in your living room I guess...
bOb32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 09:56 PM   #5
KMax
I'm Just a Typical

KMax is still being judged by the masses

I find it very useful if you don't play on Live. I think it's a pain in the butt to have to go into the softmodding menu and turn off the softmod, so that Live won't ban you.

But I use it primarily as my Media Center PC (kind of). I stream over my video files via the network and use it to play all my old Roms. It's great!

Oh and btw, Xbox scene was VERY helpful with everything that I needed.

::Heatware:: 69-0-0 // ::Wii Friend Code:: 1304 0169 4539 7606 // ::PS3 & Xbox 360 Tag:: Rezeph
KMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:27 AM   #6
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

Want a cool mod, go here

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 01:08 AM   #7
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

what I really want is to be able to quadruple the ram, and overclock the cpu. Is there a way to do that?

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 01:19 AM   #8
_leech_
Banned

_leech_ is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog
what I really want is to be able to quadruple the ram, and overclock the cpu. Is there a way to do that?
Yes. Extra RAM does nothing and overclocking the CPU screws up games.
_leech_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 02:06 AM   #9
Night Fisher
ERGO PROXY

Night Fisher is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMax
I find it very useful if you don't play on Live. I think it's a pain in the butt to have to go into the softmodding menu and turn off the softmod, so that Live won't ban you.
Just buy 2 XBOXes like a few folks I know did. One for live, and one to mod.
They're cheap enough now (espcially used).

Nf.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 02:19 AM   #10
KMax
I'm Just a Typical

KMax is still being judged by the masses

I would, but I'm waiting on the 360, so I can't see the point in doing that yet. Not to mention everyone I play with on Xbox is usually local, so I'm not too concerned with it yet.

::Heatware:: 69-0-0 // ::Wii Friend Code:: 1304 0169 4539 7606 // ::PS3 & Xbox 360 Tag:: Rezeph
KMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 02:56 AM   #11
Night Fisher
ERGO PROXY

Night Fisher is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMax
I would, but I'm waiting on the 360 ...
If you represent that number ^^^ as the number of days and add a
5 to it, you'll have the least amount of time I have to wait for a revolution...

I might throw in Final Fantasy III (really #6), Chrono Trigger, and some
other emulated goodies on my XBOX by the time my dream machine comes
out. Sigh.

Nf.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 06:30 AM   #12
wonder squirrel
Godlike

wonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete stranger

Yeah, the Live thing sucks, but I never play online, so its no concern to me.

You could always go the modchip route though.

I have some roms from a emulator on the pc, not sure if they are the same format needed by the xbox, anyone know?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 07:59 AM   #13
I.S.T.
New Grimlock: now 80x80

Location: Texas. Guess which city and you won't win a damned thing.
I.S.T. is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder squirrel
Yeah, the Live thing sucks, but I never play online, so its no concern to me.

You could always go the modchip route though.

I have some roms from a emulator on the pc, not sure if they are the same format needed by the xbox, anyone know?
It depends on the emulator, not the system. it's pretty safe to assume thatr if you can play the rom on your pc, you can play it on your x-box, unless it's a MAME rom. then, depending on which one it is, you might run into troubles or not.
I.S.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:41 AM   #14
Themlasu
Cosmic

Themlasu is still being judged by the masses

I no longer play games on my xbox, I have xbmc as my startup gui. Like Kmax does, I just stream all my media to the xbox from my storage pc in the computer room. I went the modchip route also, that was about 3 years ago (xecutor 2.0).
when we are dreaming, and as often happens, have a dim consciousness of the fact and try to wake, do we not say and do things which in waking life would be insane? May we not then sometimes define insanity as an inability to distinguish which is the waking and which the sleeping life? We often dream without the least suspicion of unreality: 'Sleep hath its own world', and it is often as lifelike as the other.
Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (aka Lewis Carroll)

Last edited by Themlasu : Jul 18, 2005 at 11:44 AM.
Themlasu is offline   Reply With Quote