Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Feb 27, 2021, 02:16 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

The caps are a non-issue and EVGA uses 4 POS/2 MLCC. That entire thing was overblown over one dumbass who began the rumor, and then other media outlets ran with it. There are 5 POS cards that are better clockers than the STRIX which has 6 MLCC.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2021, 02:32 PM   #32
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

Time to RMA?
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2021, 02:43 PM   #33
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
The caps are a non-issue and EVGA uses 4 POS/2 MLCC. That entire thing was overblown over one dumbass who began the rumor, and then other media outlets ran with it. There are 5 POS cards that are better clockers than the STRIX which has 6 MLCC.
If you google EVGA and 3090 problems there are a lot of reddit and EVGA forum posts about failing cards. All I'm saying is it's more likely to be a defective card than a software problem whether KAC likes it or not. When I had my issues with Vega 64 and my PSU I balmed everything and tried every fix in the book until eventually I had to accept it was a PSU issue.

KAC you could try and undervolt the card and there is a guide on Igor's lab on how to do it. That should at least rule out power or a spiking issue. At least it won't do any harm.

After that good hunting.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 27, 2021, 02:52 PM   #34
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

KAC could just have a bad card too.

IMO, if there are issues with the card after a clean install of windows and on several different games within the first week of use then it's time to RMA it.

Sounds like a bad card to me.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 03:05 PM   #35
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
KAC could just have a bad card too.

IMO, if there are issues with the card after a clean install of windows and on several different games within the first week of use then it's time to RMA it.

Sounds like a bad card to me.
Agree 100%.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2021, 05:44 PM   #36
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

The crashes are not related to the GPU. The error he posted earlier looks like something caused by a WHEA or CPU/mem instability.

I'd try rolling back one driver set just to be sure. Besides that, I guess RMA the GPU because that's the only thing that changed since the system was supposedly stable. I don't really know what else you can troubleshoot at that point.

I'm not saying the card can't be bad, but it's certainly not due to the POS/MLCC capacitor crap that the weird dude pushed for hits on his youtube channel. He's the same dummy who claimed you could flash the FTW3 bios to an XC3 for more performance, but made sure the "you must shunt mod the card" part was left out.. in which case, the BIOS doesn't ****ing matter
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Feb 27, 2021, 07:19 PM   #37
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

If he had another video card he could pop it in and see if it continues to toss out errors.

If it does then it's more than likely his setup.

If it doesn't then I'd RMA the card.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 07:57 PM   #38
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

He does have another card, a 3070.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2021, 08:37 PM   #39
KAC
Dirty humans

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Today is supposed to be work day but here are my plans to try different things. Computer and card are being run bone stock now so there is no OC causing instability issues. Not in this order of course.

1) roll back a driver
2) try Dirt 5 with 3070
3) remove power extensions (I wanted to do this when the hybrid kit arrived but now I won’t wait)
4) try to install one more graphically intensive game to see if it is a card issue (maybe control) since I never had a single crash in that game like ever

If I do still get crashes then I will have no choice but to try and get an RMA. It will be quite an experience since I am sure EVGA will rape me on shipping costs. Oh well.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2021, 08:58 PM   #40
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

A good idea would be to get everything as stock as possible to isolate the video card. That would include direct wiring. Basically, you want to isolate only one variable if possible.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 09:35 PM   #41
KAC
Dirty humans

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I am definitely chalking up Dirt 5 to a garbage game. There are tons of people that are having crashes in that game and irrespective of the card.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/10382...3879046015275/

Going to see if Control plays fine. If that game crashes then 9/10 it is the card.
Played Control for 30 minutes. Absolutely no issues.

Last edited by KAC : Feb 27, 2021 at 10:01 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 10:46 PM   #42
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

It's probably to do with your custom memory sub timings
Old Feb 27, 2021, 11:04 PM   #43
alitayyab
EGS is the future

alitayyab once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'alitayyab once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'alitayyab once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'alitayyab once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'alitayyab once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'alitayyab once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

My 2 cents:

In ME/SA/SEA Stick with
1. An Asus Motherboard; AsRock/ MSI/ Gigabyte may also do
2. An Asus/MSI/ Gigabyte or one of many Palit variants (esp. if in ASEAN) for GPU based on Nvidia
3. Corsair Power supplies
4. Corsair/ G.Skill for RAM
5. Intel for CPU

Benefits
1. You can sleep at night and not wake up to a BSOD system
2. Selling things is easy
3. Rather than posting you can be playing!

Remember these are my 2 cents and may not be applicable to all
Ali#1317
ali_tayyab
Game Endings
Core i7-9700K @5.0GHz + Noctua NH-D15S || Asus Z390-H || 16 GB RAM || Zotac GTX 1080Ti Amp Extreme Core Ed || Antec HCP-1000 PSU || Corsair AIR 540
Core i5-6700K || AsRock H110M-itx || 16 GB RAM || Integrated Audio/Video || Corsair CX430 || Cooler Master Elite 120
alitayyab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2021, 11:20 PM   #44
KAC
Dirty humans

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
It's probably to do with your custom memory sub timings
All stock timings now. Using XMP profile. Not overclocking a single thing.
Also these exact same games (Death Stranding, CODCW) had no issue w/ the same sub timings and a 3080 or 3070. Either way, going to try Death Stranding now and then more Immortals. Played COD CW also in the morning for 30 minutes and no issues. Hoping that I have "fixed" this by going bone stock.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 11:26 PM   #45
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Don’t see it being any of this chit, you had the EVGA 3080 and the TUF 3080 with none of these issues, card is a turd, sounds like your stuck with an RMA
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:54 AM   #46
KAC
Dirty humans

Nascar, I am not quite sure yet. I just played Death Boning for another 1.5 hours without issues. Also my CODCW issues seem to have subsided. I need to test moar!

I still haven't rolled back drivers btw so my hunch is that the new card pushes the crap out of the CPU and hence, the previous overclocks are no longer working and I need to re-do the stability testing and overclock. It is definitely not a power issue as everything seems to be working fine with power especially in graphical intensive games. Only game causing completely random issues is Dirt 5 and I already linked to latest posts about other people having the same problem.

Btw the issue can also be the latest optional windows update which is something I did when I reinstalled windows (and had not done before). Too many variables and I am eliminating one by one potential cause. Thus far, card definitely doesn't seem to be the cause of issues.

Played one more hour of CODBOCW and still no crashes (someone said it is sensitive to ram overclocking so maybe that is the case). I have now spent almost 3.5 hours playing games (30 mins control, 1.5 hours of DS and 1.5 hours of CODBOCW). No crashes yet. Now trying Dirt 5 once again

Last edited by KAC : Feb 28, 2021 at 01:40 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 02:13 AM   #47
KAC
Dirty humans

Yup after 5 races in Dirt 5 it crashes. Almost always on ice breaker stuff. Anyways, seems to be least of my worries right now.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 04:40 AM   #48
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I just remembered..

Did you disable fast-boot in Windows after the reinstall? I still see so many people having random issues until that's disabled. I've seen work fine until swapping a GPU, or CPU, or mobo. Completely worthless feature that causes so many problems for some systems, with no rhyme or reason.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 04:45 AM   #49
KAC
Dirty humans

Quote:
I just remembered..

Did you disable fast-boot in Windows after the reinstall? I still see so many people having random issues until that's disabled. I've seen work fine until swapping a GPU, or CPU, or mobo. Completely worthless feature that causes so many problems for some systems, with no rhyme or reason.
Ok will try that. I am not even sure it is on or not.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 05:08 AM   #50
Nunz
RIP Roxen

On a fresh install of Windows, it will be enabled by default.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 06:11 AM   #51
KAC
Dirty humans

I don't seem to have that setting. Probably because I have disabled hibernate option from my PC ages ago. Btw I restored windows that keeps the my documents, my pictures, my downloads etc. folders but deletes all software and reinstalls everything else so most of my original settings are carried over to the fresh install.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 06:30 AM   #52
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Google "how to disable fast-boot win10" it has step by step instructions. I have to google it every time because I always forget

I don't remember if the Restore Windows option resets that setting. Only way to know is to look. Just throwing ideas out that don't result in an RMA.

Last edited by Nunz : Feb 28, 2021 at 06:35 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 06:47 AM   #53
KAC
Dirty humans

It doesn't work if you don't have hibernate on which I don't.
And I have been playing all day and the only game that crashed is Dirt 5. All other games seem to be working fine so it seems like it was indeed bad ram/cpu overclock. I am anyways waiting for the new bios to come out for MSI Tomahawk and then will delve into overclocking if needed.

Honestly, since I am not running benches and have all monitoring software off I am not even feeling any performance loss .

However, one game that truly showed amazing performance is Cyberpunk 2077. There is a noticeable smoothness to that game that was absent on the 3080. I don't know what frames its pushing since all monitoring software is off but it definitely feels smooth as butter, something that didn't use to happen on 3080 especially in the city area and the afterlife bar.

Anyways, played now 5.5 hours since morning. No crashes. Also mined for 4 hours. No issues, no event viewer logs, no WHEA errors, nothing. I think I might have "fixed" it.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 07:13 AM   #54
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I don't have hibernate on either; it's not a feature that relies on hibernate, but it's whatever. As long as you have everything working.

I would re-introduce things one step at a time. Re-install/turn on MSI AB, and see if anything crashes. If that's good, then maybe the CPU OC, or memory OC, whichever you prefer.

One thing at a time until you narrow it down to exactly what it was. It's very possible that the extra heat being dumped into the case was causing the memory sticks to get too hot and cause issues. B-Die is very temperature sensitive. Remember, you were using 2x 8pin 3080s that maxed at 370w. You now have a card that is pumping 450watts of heat into the case. That's a significant thermal difference.

Hope it keeps working. I'm glad you don't need to deal with an RMA. None of the crashes pointed to the GPU, only reason I kept saying it's got to be something else.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 07:16 AM   #55
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Sorry for the tldr. I have 2 of these cards they're perfect. Is yours the red lips or black lips version ? Mine's black
Old Feb 28, 2021, 07:29 AM   #56
KAC
Dirty humans

Quote:
I don't have hibernate on either; it's not a feature that relies on hibernate, but it's whatever. As long as you have everything working.

I would re-introduce things one step at a time. Re-install/turn on MSI AB, and see if anything crashes. If that's good, then maybe the CPU OC, or memory OC, whichever you prefer.

One thing at a time until you narrow it down to exactly what it was. It's very possible that the extra heat being dumped into the case was causing the memory sticks to get too hot and cause issues. B-Die is very temperature sensitive. Remember, you were using 2x 8pin 3080s that maxed at 370w. You now have a card that is pumping 450watts of heat into the case. That's a significant thermal difference.

Hope it keeps working. I'm glad you don't need to deal with an RMA. None of the crashes pointed to the GPU, only reason I kept saying it's got to be something else.
Thanks for your help Nunz. It does seem to be memory causing the issue as I tightened the timings a lot on it. Even I believe the FCLK and 3733 doesn’t seem to be the issue. I will try this one by one. However, right now I am just enjoying games. One more game I need to download is WDL. I do have MSI AB installed so will see how it goes with Cold War. It has been very difficult to reproduce the issues over and over with exception of Death Stranding which seems to have issues with Windows Exploit protection.

Leper the card is black version. I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the card but a bad overclock. Can you try playing 5-6 races back to back on Dirt 5 especially including ice breaker levels and tell me if you have crash to desktop?

Thanks all. Will keep you posted how things go. My heat sinks and hybrid kit is supposed to arrive this week and I am hoping I can install it on Friday/Saturday.

P.S. since I am mining these days I have removed side panel for my cases so heat collecting in the case should not be an issue and all my components are running decent temps. Gigabyte 3070 runs at 60 C while mining. This EVGA runs at 68 C mining and 70 C gaming.

EDIT 2: Tried WDL for 30 minutes. No issues. Actually ran exceptionally smooth especially while driving (maybe placebo). Ran the bench and it is only 5 FPS higher (3080 was 72 and this one is 77). However, driving seems to be a dream.

Last edited by KAC : Feb 28, 2021 at 08:37 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 04:29 PM   #57
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I play the games at stock settings and have never had a crash. I don't have dirt 5 to test. Does it happen on other games? Does it happen at stock settings?
Old Feb 28, 2021, 06:17 PM   #58
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

It happens because the PC is setup poorly.
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, EVGA FTW3 2080Ti Sixtuple SLI, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2021, 08:26 PM   #59
KAC
Dirty humans

Now the only game that has crashed after about 6 hours of play is Dirt 5. Everything else seems to be running fine.

Games I tested are:
Cyberpunk 2077
Control
CODBOCW
Immortals
Watch Dogs Legion
Death Stranding
Dirt 5 (crashes after 5 or more races)
Old Mar 4, 2021, 08:51 AM   #60
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Update? All running well finally?

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote