Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Yesterday, 01:30 AM   #901
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

They have sub 200$ x570's with decent vrm's so they run the gamut from affordable to high end. Whats not to like? Same with cpus...

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.4.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.6.2. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:55 AM   #902
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
If AMD were to come out with good chips at decent prices and told the MB manufacturers to hold prices under Intels then I wouldn't have complained.

Instead, they told MB manufacturers, "Hey Charles, lets push to marketing to the higher [end]. So let's sell higher-pricing motherboards, higher-spec motherboards, and let's see what will happen in the market. So I don't think that AMD is the company that wants to sell low cost here, low cost there."

So now AMD and the rest of us get the fun of having higher priced MB's and higher priced chips.

That was my complaint.

these same high end MB that have been selling for intel chips for years like my Rampage IV Extreme ?

there are still the low and midrange cheaper X570 MB also

the crosshair viii hero looks to have gone up a whole 80 bucks big ****ing deal get over it

I for one have wanted the higher end MB for ryzen

yes some of the MB manufacturers have gone I little nuts with some very high end stuff
it will balance out in a few month when it doesn't sell

…………

without AMD and ryzen your 9900k would have cost 1000+ .

Last edited by bill dennison : Yesterday at 02:01 AM.
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM   #903
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Thanks to a foreign tech site called Elchapuzasinformatico, we have gotten our hands on leaked single-core benchmarks for the AMD Ryzen AMD Ryzen 5 3600. Single-core performance is very important in gaming which is why Intel Coffe Lake was easily able to outperform Ryzen in gaming benchmarks but, it seems like that’s not going to be the case with Zen 2 as the $200 Ryzen 5 3600 is able to perform on par with $500 Intel Core i9-9900K in Cinebench 15’s single-core test. Of course, we have to mention that the Core i9-9900k has a TDP of 95W while the Ryzen 5 3600’s TDP is only 65W.

Thanks to this leaked benchmark, we now know that AMD Zen 2 is going to beat the competition in both single-core and multi-core performance which means that Ryzen will take the lead in gaming and productivity. Gamers are a large segment of the CPU market hence, the CPU with better gaming performance can be the winner. Intel Coffe Lake performs a bit worse then Ryzen in multi-core benchmarks but, significantly outperforms it in gaming benchmarks which is why Coffe Lake was able to beat Ryzen in 2018 and 2017.
https://www.ultragamerz.com/200-amd-...ed-benchmarks/

Quote:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 Core, 12 Thread CPU Tested on X470 Platform – Single-Core Performance On Par With The Core i9-9900K

Quote:
The source mentions that they are still using a very early BIOS and from what I have personally heard, board makers are still sorting out a final BIOS for their X570 motherboards, let alone X470. We have already seen that AMD Ryzen 3000 series processors are tuned for higher clocked DDR4 DIMMs so expect improved latencies when the processors are equipped with 3600-4200 MHz DDR4 DIMMs which are said to be the sweet spot for the X570 platform.
https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5-360...lished-online/
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM   #904
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Because the way a whole lot of people upgrade they go for the high end knowing that it is less trouble and more time between upgrades. If they upgraded motherboards to the x570 stuff then the thought process is that board will have increased development and BIOS updates. Where as the x370 will get a compatibility bios update and nothing much after that because it is a 2 year old board.

Technically, yeah, people can buy old ass boards and use them but the reality is that they wont. So the high end costs are going to be what the majority of intel users are going to be looking at for breaking into AMD.
I guess what it comes down to is a different mentality. I came up buying low to midrange equipment and overclocking it to get top end performance. My experience taught me that if you are clever you can get significantly more bang/buck than buying top end components. So it's hard for me to really understand people who think the only option that exists is buying all high end components.

You're probably right that the majority of users fall into that category though. I actually enjoy doing my research and then tuning my computer for max performance, but I understand not everyone likes to do that.

I still think it's worth pointing out that there are other options though.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM   #905
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

That spanish site retested on x570 with a couple bench improvements.

Still on 1.0.0.2 agesa bios I think tho 1.0.0.3 due out on the 7th apparently.

https://elchapuzasinformatico.com/20...0-x570-review/

Quote:
As we discussed yesterday, the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 might seem that only assumes a revision of frequencies on the Ryzen 5 2600 , but with an improvement of performance around 20% in calculation tasks , something else is there. However, compared to the performance offered by a previous generation X470 motherboard and an X570 we have not found great differences, except in some game that seems to give some extra, but not widely, so it is not mandatory to buy an AMD X570 , except if we plan to buy a PCI-Express 4.0 SSD.

In any case, its IPC has increased remarkably, improving also the performance in games against the previous generation, approaching even the almighty Core i9-9900K . We do not have, however, an improvement in terms of efficiency compared to the previous generation if we compare consumption, but we do have it if we compare that it gives us greater performance at the same consumption .

Read more https://elchapuzasinformatico.com/20...0-x570-review/

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.4.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.6.2. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM   #906
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

That’s very promising. IPC is clearly up there with the 9900K as Warhammer2 is a low-threaded engine as you can see by the 6700K performing well.

Really looking forward to grabbing a 3900X. So far, everything is pointing towards Zen2 being an improvement over the 9900K, especially once Windows updates and chipset drivers update for another 5-10% increase in performance. That’s what I’m guesstimating over the next year.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM   #907
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Good to see you’re wearing protection, Nunz.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM   #908
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
That’s very promising. IPC is clearly up there with the 9900K as Warhammer2 is a low-threaded engine as you can see by the 6700K performing well.

Really looking forward to grabbing a 3900X. So far, everything is pointing towards Zen2 being an improvement over the 9900K, especially once Windows updates and chipset drivers update for another 5-10% increase in performance. That’s what I’m guesstimating over the next year.
Memory timings remain really bad tho so looks like the bios being unoptimized is serious.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM   #909
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Yep. As the chipset matures and RAM becomes more stable I think we’ll see another 5% from that. I’m planning on going with 4000Mhz RAM and hopefully tighten the timings up slowly as the motherboards become more stable.

With the NV discounts for 9 and 7 series, I might grab a 2080 SUPER just because. I have some old cards laying around that I could use. We’ll see how big the discounts are though!
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM   #910
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I don't know what to think about those tests. Based on the chart pax posted, Ryzen 3600 actually looks to have higher IPC than the 9900K. After all Ryzen 3600 has a max boost of 4.2 GHz, whereas the 9900K can boost up to 4.7 on all cores. But at the same time the 6700K is hanging in there, despite a much lower boost clock, which is odd. I'm wondering if that test was just GPU limited.

However the other single threaded tests at the link also show the Ryzen 3600 on the heels of the 9900K, and when you take into account the much lower boost frequency it still points to greater IPC. If this is accurate (big if!) a 9900K overclocked to 5 GHz might still edge out the faster clocked Ryzen processors, but not by a whole lot. In fact, you could have the 3600X potentially matching the 9900K in situations where less than eight threads are utilized.

Last edited by Nagorak : Yesterday at 06:15 PM.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM   #911
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I don't know what to think about those tests. Based on the chart pax posted, Ryzen 3600 actually looks to have higher IPC than the 9900K. After all Ryzen 3600 has a max boost of 4.2 GHz, whereas the 9900K can boost up to 4.7 on all cores. But at the same time the 6700K is hanging in there, despite a much lower boost clock, which is odd. I'm wondering if that test was just GPU limited.

However the other tests show the Ryzen 3600 on the heels of the 9900K, and when you take into account the lower boost frequency it still points to greater IPC. If this is accurate (big if!) s 9900K overclocked to 5 GHz might still edge out the faster clocked Ryzen processors, but not by a whole lot.
I think you’re right. I assumed those tests were done with proper settings to test CPU limitations, but they ran them at 1080P maxed settings now that I’m checking the site.

I’m still set on the 3900X but it does discredit those tests.
Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM   #912
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post

However the other single threaded tests at the link also show the Ryzen 3600 on the heels of the 9900K, and when you take into account the much lower boost frequency it still points to greater IPC. If this is accurate (big if!) a 9900K overclocked to 5 GHz might still edge out the faster clocked Ryzen processors, but not by a whole lot. In fact, you could have the 3600X potentially matching the 9900K in situations where less than eight threads are utilized.
Intels performance from the 6th gen all the way up to the 9th gen was very incremental in IPC gains, small fries. It's the higher clock and the extra cores that were helping the newer parts along. This shows why the 2600k and 2500k have remained so popular, people oc them to 4+ ghz and so they were able to hold their own for so long it's only recently that programs and games have really started to take major advantage of having more cores and threads. the ipc gain has slowed down quite a bit over the years.

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus

Last edited by Shapeshifter : Yesterday at 06:53 PM.
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote