Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Home Theaters and Photography
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Home Theaters and Photography Discussion forum for Home Theater enthusiasts and newbies. Also the place to discuss and post your photography ventures and queries.

Old Jan 19, 2020, 08:01 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Default Big Screen Dilemma

Sup gays...

Well it happened, last night during UFC 246 on the first fight of the night my projectors bulb exploded. WTF BOOM! And probably took the rest of the projector with it as there is all this glass dust in it now. Currently I have an old Sharp Aquos 52" from like 12 years ago in my big screens place....

I've got the issue now as to should I purchase a TV or stay with a projector. The projector setup was 120" 2500 Lumens.

I started looking at QLED and OLED with some projectors. Was looking at the LG C9 series so I went in to visions and checked them out. Problem is they had it sitting next to the Sony OLED and Panasonic OLED. But these are all 65" screens. Took a look a Samsung 82" QLED as well but wasn't impressed with color and image. The OLED just blew everything away of course because its an OLED.

The Panasonic by far had the best image and everything. And it comes in at $1000 cheaper then the C9 even being the same panel. To top it off the guy is even willing to give me more off the price.

I'm seriously choked, I just replaced the bulb back in April, although the bulb was free when I purchased it 5 years ago...

What I'm looking at:

Panasonic TC77EZ1000 - Might be out of my price range.

Panasonic TC65GZ1000 - Might be able to get it for $2000.

LG HU80KA - Not the greatest but its Laser.

What do you gays think?
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, EVGA FTW3 2080Ti Sixtuple SLI, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:41 PM   #2
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Does any of those have an ATSC 3.0 Tuner? I checked the first one and it didn't say a thing about it. Not that anyone watches over the air TV anymore? Also HDMI 2.1/eARC supposed to gain wider deployment later this year? I usually don't follow this stuff but I had to replace a receiver a few weeks ago and Youtube has thrown me a few videos in this space for my efforts and it seems if you can wait then do so. One of the videos mentions that the more budget branded names all have OLED models coming out this year that should squeeze OLED prices.

Last edited by dodger : Jan 19, 2020 at 10:49 PM.
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:10 PM   #3
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Does any of those have an ATSC 3.0 Tuner? I checked the first one and it didn't say a thing about it. Not that anyone watches over the air TV anymore? Also HDMI 2.1/eARC supposed to gain wider deployment later this year? I usually don't follow this stuff but I had to replace a receiver a few weeks ago and Youtube has thrown me a few videos in this space for my efforts and it seems if you can wait then do so. One of the videos mentions that the more budget branded names all have OLED models coming out this year that should squeeze OLED prices.
The Panasonic and Sony screen has HDMI 2.1/eARC, they use the same panel that LG uses in the C9. And this is the same panel that also supports GSYNC.
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, EVGA FTW3 2080Ti Sixtuple SLI, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 20, 2020, 01:17 PM   #4
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Don't overthink it. I see you posted on AVS as well. If you are used to a projector, get a projector.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2020, 01:23 PM   #5
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Projector is probably the best way to get the size you want,
I think giant TV's are expensive as hell.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2020, 01:35 PM   #6
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
This. If you're used to 120" from the projector, even an 82" TV is going to feel like a step down.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2020, 04:08 PM   #7
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

So....

Epson 5050UB ( Bulb again )
LG HU80KA ( Pew Pew Laser )
Old Jan 20, 2020, 05:03 PM   #8
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

If you use the projector a lot (like a TV), laser. If you only use it for viewing movies (so not that often), then bulb.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2020, 07:49 PM   #9
DigitalDemon
Flaccid Flexor

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Pew Pew Pew! LG HU85LA
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2020, 08:05 PM   #10
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Got my new projector, the LG HU80KA, got for $2000 CND.

I must say that compared to the old projector, this destroys it, problem is I am going to have to ceiling mount now for sure. Its up and running now but its placement options are limited.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:16 PM   #11
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Yep agreed.

I have a Vankyo V630, and it's perfect for my 1-bedroom apartment. It easily projects a solid 65" image, native 1080p. I've had it at 85" or so, and the image was great, just a little too big for the screen on the wall.

I think it cost me $300.
jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2020, 07:37 PM   #12
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy View Post
Yep agreed.

I have a Vankyo V630, and it's perfect for my 1-bedroom apartment. It easily projects a solid 65" image, native 1080p. I've had it at 85" or so, and the image was great, just a little too big for the screen on the wall.

I think it cost me $300.
Is it bright?
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2020, 04:58 PM   #13
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGoa View Post
Is it bright?
It's always been bright enough every time I've watched something.

From the official website:
"Featuring a native resolution of 1920x1080 pixels, alongside a brightness of 6,000 lux and a contrast ratio of 5,000:1" .
jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote