Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Radeon Software.

Old Jul 11, 2005, 07:32 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
CaliforniaRaisin
Radeon R200

CaliforniaRaisin is still being judged by the masses

Question Cat 5.6 w/ Control Panel vs. 5.6 w/ CATALYST Control Center

which one provides better performance?

which one is more stable?

which one is less of a resource hog?

All In Wonder X800XT
1GB Corsair XMS DDR333 CAS2
200GB WD Caviar 8MB cache
Pioneer DVR-108 4x DVD+/-RW
CaliforniaRaisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 08:11 PM   #2
alpha_omega
Radeon R300

alpha_omega is still being judged by the masses

use the search. this has been beaten to death...
alpha_omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 08:20 PM   #3
CaliforniaRaisin
Radeon R200

CaliforniaRaisin is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_omega
use the search. this has been beaten to death...
i did, but i didnt see any topic similar to this.

if it exists, pls point me towards it.

All In Wonder X800XT
1GB Corsair XMS DDR333 CAS2
200GB WD Caviar 8MB cache
Pioneer DVR-108 4x DVD+/-RW
CaliforniaRaisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 12, 2005, 04:37 AM   #4
alpha_omega
Radeon R300

alpha_omega is still being judged by the masses

Just to name 2 threads:
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33818807
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33817683

Quote:
1. which one provides better performance?

2. which one is more stable?

3. which one is less of a resource hog?
1. they perform the same because the driver is the same.
2. the CP is tried and tested whereas the CCC is still new. there's no definitive answer...
3. CP. That's for sure. CCC requires the .Net Framework. .Net apps require more memory because of the programming paradigm (manged/garbage-collected vs. unmanaged code).

Personally, I use the 5.6+CP combo. I'm not a heavy CP user though, only once in a month and that is right after I install new CATs. That's when I adjust all necessary settings like monitor res, color/brightness, disabling VPU etc.
alpha_omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:42 AM   #5
Sharkfood
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Sharkfood is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaRaisin
which one provides better performance?
As already mentioned, 3D performance will be the same. As far as settings performance goes:
*CCC wins for quickly setting a single setting as right-clicking the systray icon, you can quickly set AA/AF using it's systray menu versus several clicks for Display Properties, Settings Tab, Advanced Button... then the individual tabs for 3D.
*CP wins for speed of operation as launching the CCC or making multiple settings is slower with CCC

Quote:
which one is more stable?
While I understand some folks have had issues with CCC, I've never experienced any of them, so from my experience, I'd say it's a tie. I've *never* had an instability issue with CCC, going in and using it 1000's of times.

Quote:
which one is less of a resource hog?
CP is much less of a resource hog as it consumes no processes and no measurable memory when loaded (maybe <1mb into explorer's mem pool). CCC hogs two or three CLI processes, over ~10MB on average system ram and another 70-90MB pagefile virt mem.

Don't spread my wealth, spread my work ethic.
3/21/2010 - R.I.P. Freedom, Democracy, America
Sharkfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 12:53 PM   #6
reholli
Radeon R420

reholli is still being judged by the masses

Following are some suggestions for reducing resource usage with CCC (Use only if you know what you're doing):

Don't allow the CCC cli.exe runtime or system tray processes to run after initially setting up CCC. Disable the system tray component from within CCC and then use System Configuration (msconfig.exe) to disallow cli.exe runtime and cli.exe System Tray at startup. Then when you need to make a change in CCC, just fire off the runtime first from the "ATI Catalyst Control Center" --> "Advanced" --> "Restart Runtime" start menu item before selecting the "ATI Catalyst Control Center" --> "ATI Catalyst Control Center" start menu item or from the desktop's "Display Settings" --> "Advanced" button. That way both processes only run when you need them, and are gone after your next reboot. NO running cli.exe processes normally this way, and because the settings are all registry-based, they're applied by the drivers anyway once changed and after a reboot. To get rid of the right-mouse-click context menu item for CCC, delete key "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\ACE" from your registry, and now there's no sign of CCC except on your start menu and from the desktop's "Display Settings" --> "Advanced" button until you need it. If not using any hotkeys, the "Ati Hotkey Poller" service can be disabled from services.msc...disabling the "ATI Smart" service can also be done, but it re-enables the next time you run CCC.
reholli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 04:59 PM   #7
Brian48
Rage3D Veteran

Brian48 is still being judged by the masses

My biggest complaint about CCC is not so much the ATI component, but rather .NET framework. You need it in order to use CCC and I've found that .NET tends to make the system unstable, at least with the 3 boxes I've tried it with.
Brian48 is offline   Reply With Quote