Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Dec 5, 2019, 06:09 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyiji View Post
Game ready drivers are a myth from both sides of the aisle.

Sometimes broken sometimes placebo. Both companies have dropped the ball in this regard.

Nvidias CP is fine. What's a crime against humanity is the lack of a proper feature rich control panel for the .1% who use linux. Won't somebody think of the pengins !__!

Also y'all clearly dont visit the Radeon software forum

http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59

Lots of driver releases posted there with day 1 and sometimes day 0 support for new games ^_^
Good to know. Microcenter has quite a few in stock, I just need to know the most reputable manufacturer
Old Dec 5, 2019, 08:01 AM   #32
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

considering most games are released in a beta state, "game ready" ready drivers dont really matter much

i just switched to nvidia from being an amd user forever and, the grass isnt any greener on this side of the fence
CFX 290
Acer Predator x34 21:9
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd and 500gb SSD
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:33 PM   #33
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyiji View Post
Game ready drivers are a myth from both sides of the aisle.

Sometimes broken sometimes placebo. Both companies have dropped the ball in this regard.

Nvidias CP is fine. What's a crime against humanity is the lack of a proper feature rich control panel for the .1% who use linux. Won't somebody think of the pengins !__!

Also y'all clearly dont visit the Radeon software forum

http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59

Lots of driver releases posted there with day 1 and sometimes day 0 support for new games ^_^
most here on this side have not used a Radeon since y2k
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 5, 2019, 06:04 PM   #34
x-voodoo
Radeon R700

x-voodoo is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
most here on this side have not used a Radeon since y2k
For me it's been since 2016. 2003 got the Radeon 9500pro, 2004 got the 9800pro....2008 HD2600pro, 2009 HD4850, and 2013 HD7850.

The radeons I had were good bang for the buck but they did have some issues with a few crashes from time to time on the earlier radeons, the HD7850 seemed fine when I used it.

The GTX 1070FE I have now has been rock solid...rockin' that since 2016, so I may be sticking with nvidia going forward.
x-voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2019, 06:14 PM   #35
Cynicalking
who

Cynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete stranger

My poor 980 ti time to try to save up for at least a 2070
Cynicalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:23 PM   #36
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-voodoo View Post
For me it's been since 2016. 2003 got the Radeon 9500pro, 2004 got the 9800pro....2008 HD2600pro, 2009 HD4850, and 2013 HD7850.

The radeons I had were good bang for the buck but they did have some issues with a few crashes from time to time on the earlier radeons, the HD7850 seemed fine when I used it.

The GTX 1070FE I have now has been rock solid...rockin' that since 2016, so I may be sticking with nvidia going forward.
I've had both at the same time in SLI & CFX back to 2012 and 680 SLI & 7970 CFX up till now and the 2080 ti
and both have about the same number of driver problems and new game problems

AMD only real problem is not software it is they need a card to beat the 1080 ti after 2.5 years and now the 2080 ti after 15 months
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:15 PM   #37
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-voodoo View Post
Oh....yes....looks like AMD won this round!
Looks like they're breaking even in performance last round in dx12 and vulkan as well. Big Navi is sounding super tempting especially since I'm keeping video cards longer.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:17 PM   #38
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
I've had both at the same time in SLI & CFX back to 2012 and 680 SLI & 7970 CFX up till now and the 2080 ti
and both have about the same number of driver problems and new game problems

AMD only real problem is not software it is they need a card to beat the 1080 ti after 2.5 years and now the 2080 ti after 15 months
Doesn't 5700xt do that in RDR2? Lord knows how many other dx12 titles as well.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._review,6.html
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:40 PM   #39
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
Doesn't 5700xt do that in RDR2? Lord knows how many other dx12 titles as well.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._review,6.html
one game

nope in these two at 4k
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page...review,15.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page...review,16.html
Old Dec 6, 2019, 01:32 PM   #40
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

It seems like the majority of dx12 titles even going by the link you posted.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 03:25 PM   #41
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
It seems like the majority of dx12 titles even going by the link you posted.
a tie at best

but if they had not dropped all crossfire support for dx11 and older I might have bought two

but just not worth it for a few dx12 games that might support it

Last edited by bill dennison : Dec 6, 2019 at 05:04 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 08:16 PM   #42
AluminumHaste
Radeon Arctic Islands

AluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Hey guys, long time no posting!

I've just recently upgraded from an Asus Strix 1070 to the Gigabyte 5700XT Gaming OC.
In most games, especially newer games, this thing is a beast!
Anything Vulkan it freaking shreds, and games like Star Wars, or Skyrim SE, it's at least twice as fast.

However, any old openGL game, like the newly release Wrath: Aeon of Ruin, this computer with 2700X and 5700XT is only about 58% as fast as my other rig which is an Intel 4770k @ 4.0Ghz and 980ti.

In one section of the Wrath hub the 5700XT is only getting 169 FPS (very consistent) but the 980ti system is hitting 270 FPS.

I've tried everything to get this to run better, I'm getting stuttering in the game in certain spots on this brand new rig. I've overclocked the RAM and tightened up the timings like crazy, no crashes or weirdness, but did nothing to inch that FPS above 169 FPS.

The 5700XT is barely doing anything, sitting at 350mhz most of the time.
CPU bounces one core from 25% to 95%.

Anyways, posted some screenshots here: https://imgur.com/gallery/QSVNHOu

What are you guys getting in this game?
AluminumHaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2019, 03:58 PM   #43
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sounds about right. In any open gl source port that I've ever tried I saw a significant performance hit with amd graphics cards.

I never got darkplaces to run well with an amd card. Iirc the developer used a 5870 for the longest time too.

Last edited by BababooeyHTJ : Dec 10, 2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 02:06 PM   #44
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Location: Poland Where the pure lab reseach data show no life can exist
Ziklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyZiklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
There's nothing wrong with NV control panel though. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And who the hell wants GeForce experience anyway.. why would I want game management or some crappy auto-detect settings. These are noob options that shouldn't be swaying your decision on a GPU.

Who even uses NV control panel when there's nV inspector available? It's faster, cleaner, provides SGSSAA on enhance, AA and AO compatibility bits, frame limiters etc etc.

I don't even remember how CP looks like.

Garth Merenghi quotes
Most of you will probably know me already from my extensive canon of chillers including "Afterbirth" in which a mutated placenta attacks Bristol.

Everyone has a special talent. Mine is being able to write, produce direct, act, paint... Other people are good plumbers, that's their gift.

There are rebels and there are innovators. I'm a rebel. I play a rebel brain expert who's in rebelliance against conventional logic, who's in rebelliance against the world order. It's about rebelliance. And if that's not being an innovator, I don't know what is.

In times of conflict, when you're up against an agressor, be he human, be he inhuman, whoe'er he be, often he is both.

Greetings traveller. Who am I? Perhaps you have met me twixt sleep and and wake - in the penumbra of uncertainity you call unconsiousness... you know, my books are essentialy about "what ifs". In "Black Fang" I asked - what if a rat could drive a bus? And what if it and its rat brethren took over and ate Parliment?

A lot of people say "Garth Merenghi? Doesn't he write that horror crap?" Well, you're an idiot, because my books always say something, even if it's simple like "Don't geneticaly engineer crabs to be as big as man". There's always a message or a theme.
Ziklitschli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2019, 05:08 PM   #45
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

NVCP is just easy to use. I don't need all those options because I don't use them. Last time I used Inspector was with SLI for compatibility bits when I rarely needed them.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2019, 06:38 PM   #46
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
NVCP is just easy to use. I don't need all those options because I don't use them. Last time I used Inspector was with SLI for compatibility bits when I rarely needed them.
This

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2019, 07:54 PM   #47
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziklitschli View Post
Who even uses NV control panel when there's nV inspector available? It's faster, cleaner, provides SGSSAA on enhance, AA and AO compatibility bits, frame limiters etc etc.

I don't even remember how CP looks like.
excel

and I never used nV inspector

……….
1350 bucks for a 2080 ti Strix in 2020 and NVCP is still pre 1999

AMD get that NV killer out soon and save us
Old Dec 13, 2019, 09:15 PM   #48
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Save me from my functional, easy to use control panel!! Oh the horror!!
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2019, 02:32 AM   #49
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Save me from my functional, easy to use control panel!! Oh the horror!!
my 71 Ford F250 was functional and easy to use also

and got 6 MPG
and looked like sh*t like your control panel also
Old Dec 14, 2019, 01:40 PM   #50
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Bill AMD have just released their 2020 Adrenalin edition driver and it's arrived with a number of bugs. Fortunately AMD seem to be taking notice and have advised that they are working on a hot fix. The new GUI on the driver is taking some time to get used to as it's a complete overhaul from the previous 2019 Adrenalin driver. It does provide a lot more information and things are grouped more logically.

First issue I had was even though I chose express install from within the control panel it decided to install only the standard components and the custom icon in performance is greyed out. Normally that would be a straight uninstall for me but as I'm only running the 5700XT at stock I can still play with voltage, fans, vram and power.

The second issue was my GPU showed up with a yellow warning marker in the systems tab which upon investigating was the AMD upgrade adviser telling me to upgrade to a Radeon VII. Cheeky bas**rds especially as the RVII is EOL in the UK and my Pulse 5700XT is their latest card. Easily fixed by switching off the upgrade adviser. It also now provides information on your Zen CPU and you can even launch Ryzen master from the performance tab but i haven't used that yet.

I agree with Seyji that both NV and AMD are pretty good with new game release drivers as AMD are committed to issuing one new driver per month and often release 2 or 3 for new game releases or hot fixes to fix issues.

Although I've owned AMD cards since the Fury Pro I still remember the NV CP and I do agree that it is a 1999 GUI but I also agree with Nunz et al that it's also functional and easy to use. It might be ugly but it does what it does I guess and a lot of people don't like change and I guess NV are in that camp.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2019, 08:09 AM   #51
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Ziklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyZiklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
This
So, you have a 2080 TI but rob yourself of sgssaa?

Not to mention, nVinspector is vastly superior even for setting your AF to 16.

Garth Merenghi quotes
Most of you will probably know me already from my extensive canon of chillers including "Afterbirth" in which a mutated placenta attacks Bristol.

Everyone has a special talent. Mine is being able to write, produce direct, act, paint... Other people are good plumbers, that's their gift.

There are rebels and there are innovators. I'm a rebel. I play a rebel brain expert who's in rebelliance against conventional logic, who's in rebelliance against the world order. It's about rebelliance. And if that's not being an innovator, I don't know what is.

In times of conflict, when you're up against an agressor, be he human, be he inhuman, whoe'er he be, often he is both.

Greetings traveller. Who am I? Perhaps you have met me twixt sleep and and wake - in the penumbra of uncertainity you call unconsiousness... you know, my books are essentialy about "what ifs". In "Black Fang" I asked - what if a rat could drive a bus? And what if it and its rat brethren took over and ate Parliment?

A lot of people say "Garth Merenghi? Doesn't he write that horror crap?" Well, you're an idiot, because my books always say something, even if it's simple like "Don't geneticaly engineer crabs to be as big as man". There's always a message or a theme.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 09:13 AM   #52
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Any kind of SSAA is overkill and not worth the performance penalty especially in demanding games at 1440p/4k. The newer more advanced AA methods do a good enough job as it is with a much less performance hit.

The only game I use SSAA recently was Serious Sam 3 and only because I had the performance to spare at everything maxed at 4k, and didn't need NV inspector for it.

Outside of SLI I don't see why anyone would use NV in this day when 99.9% is exposed in the NV CP already.
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2019, 09:16 AM   #53
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
So, you have a 2080 TI but rob yourself of sgssaa?

Not to mention, nVinspector is vastly superior even for setting your AF to 16.
I do.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:41 AM   #54
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
I do.
Ok.

Garth Merenghi quotes

Old Dec 16, 2019, 09:49 PM   #55
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Personally use nvinspector and really enjoy super sampled flexibility.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 03:44 AM   #56
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Any kind of SSAA is overkill and not worth the performance penalty especially in demanding games at 1440p/4k.
There are countless games that you can supersample with 2080TI (which is what you have afaik?) unless you only play the latest and greatest. I'd hazard a guess that even early this gen AAA games you could ogssaa x4 from 5k to 2560 and then add x2 sgssaa on top where possible, and just x2 sgssaa should be a bliss.

For the newest games that support msaa (and there's suprisingly quite a lot lately that do) played at high resolutions, while any ssaa at 4x might indeed not be feasible, x2 sgssaa is actually the best solution as you don't compromise IQ like with ogssaa at 2x (1,5 res) and it should be enough to clean the image and look times better than the post process solutions (not to mention you can combine with those).

Quote:
The newer more advanced AA methods do a good enough job as it is with a much less performance hit.
Which ones? MLAA/ FXAA/ SMAA are a blurry shimmerfests (and the less the blur, the worse the coverage ie SMAA) that actually make distant edges look worse than without AA and look good only when combined with order grid supersampling.

TAA/ SMAA 2TX/ TSSAA whatever? The temporal solutions can blur the image to the point of ruining it and add ghosting as a cherry on top. Sure there are better and worse implementatons but the better ones are mostly in 1st party console games and most multiplatforms have a lazy smear with brute force sharpen filter for that ultimate dirty mess. The only high quality way to combat the blur is, you guessed it, order grid supersampling.

Those are not newer, more advanced methods but necessities for deffered renders. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have them where there's nothing else but compared to MS/ SSAA, they're just an equivalent of a low setting. Do you ever set the textures to a low setting?

Quote:
The only game I use SSAA recently was Serious Sam 3 and only because I had the performance to spare at everything maxed at 4k, and didn't need NV inspector for it.
So you use ogssaa I guess. With nVinspector you could add sgssa on top of that (SS3 has an ingame MSAA I think?) for an insane level of IQ. Just try and then tell me about the newer "advanced" AA methods.

Garth Merenghi quotes

Last edited by Ziklitschli : Dec 18, 2019 at 04:11 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 05:12 AM   #57
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Quote:
Outside of SLI I don't see why anyone would use NV in this day when 99.9% is exposed in the NV CP already.
Outside of SLI, SGSSAA, AO, frame limiters, behaviour flags etc etc I don't see why either heh.

I just reinstalled Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl and thanks to switching the flag in nV inspector, I can force the HBAO which is superior to all the methods in shader mods etc. And use altered flag for cheaper multisamping with transparency supersampling. And sparse grid supersampling. And that's how it is with many games.

Garth Merenghi quotes

Old Dec 18, 2019, 05:22 AM   #58
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I downloaded nV Inspector based on your recommendation, but I find the interface to be really confusing. There are so many options for AA, and none of them are clearly labeled as SGSSAA. Which one am I supposed to choose to enable SGSSAA? And it also seems like I need to change the override setting, but there are like 5 different options and I don't understand the difference.

Edit: Never mind, I think I figured it out, but I still don't understand the difference between the Antialiasing setting and the transparency setting. I'm also not completely certain what advantage this has over simply running a high DSR resolution, which is how I was super sampling before.

Last edited by Nagorak : Dec 18, 2019 at 05:38 AM.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2019, 07:02 AM   #59
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

For sgssaa you need msaa either ingame or from a flag. If you have msaa set ingame, you choose enhance and under transparency you choose sgssaa level. If on the other hand you force msaa through a flag, you choose override, msaa under antialiasing tab and sgssaa under transparency tab. Keep in mind that you have to match msaa and sgssaa level for proper quality.

DSR (ogssaa) and sgssaa are 2 different techniques, the former downsamples from higher res and the latter samples the pixel in sparse grid (whatever that means heh) and is therefore much better for x2 level (so 1,5x res with og) because you don't loose quality like with og and uneven res from which you downsample. In short, just DSR is worse for shader, specular and shadow aliasing (which is why it's best to combine it with msaa + trssaa or post process AA) but greatly improves detail, a sharp ss if you will. Sgssaa on the other hand is stronger but slightly blurs the image.

As you can see, they are made for each other heh.

Here's are the lists of flags for AA

https://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33972293

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nv...pdated.357956/

https://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbull.../t-490867.html

for AO

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/hb...thread.387114/

guide

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nv...-guide.392715/

Garth Merenghi quotes

Old Dec 18, 2019, 10:09 AM   #60
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
There are countless games that you can supersample with 2080TI (which is what you have afaik?) unless you only play the latest and greatest. I'd hazard a guess that even early this gen AAA games you could ogssaa x4 from 5k to 2560 and then add x2 sgssaa on top where possible, and just x2 sgssaa should be a bliss.
Well, yes. That is the entire point of upgrading to a 2080Ti. To play the latest and greatest games. If I wanted to stick to old games I wouldn't have upgraded.

Quote:

Which ones? MLAA/ FXAA/ SMAA are a blurry shimmerfests (and the less the blur, the worse the coverage ie SMAA) that actually make distant edges look worse than without AA and look good only when combined with order grid supersampling.

TAA/ SMAA 2TX/ TSSAA whatever? The temporal solutions can blur the image to the point of ruining it and add ghosting as a cherry on top. Sure there are better and worse implementatons but the better ones are mostly in 1st party console games and most multiplatforms have a lazy smear with brute force sharpen filter for that ultimate dirty mess. The only high quality way to combat the blur is, you guessed it, order grid supersampling.
Any solution in X game that elliminates jaggies and shimmering that maintains texture clarity at 4k. Sometimes that would be SMAA 2TX, sometimes TXAA or TAA with a slight sharpening filter.

I don't need any kind of SSAA to cut performance by 30% to 50% at 4k for minimum visual differences that the more efficient AA methods offer.

Right now I'm playing Red Dead Redemption 2 with High settings at 4k, TAA and Nvidia's freestyle sharpening tool (which is now just as good as Radeon Image Sharpening) to offset any blurriness.

The end results is a fantastic picture quality with zero jaggies, zero shimmering, and perfect pixel texture quality as if no AA was used.

You're going to tell me downloading NVinspector to turn on an ancient, performing killing AA method is going to be a better option? Maybe if I dropped all the graphic settings down to console peasant levels, but I'm not KAC.

Quote:
So you use ogssaa I guess. With nVinspector you could add sgssa on top of that (SS3 has an ingame MSAA I think?) for an insane level of IQ. Just try and then tell me about the newer "advanced" AA methods.
The ingame 2x SSAA option was perfect enough. There's nothing else that would make it "insanely" better. Highest setting at 4k, no shimmering, no jaggies, razor sharp texture clarity. Don't need any higher levels of AA or different AA methods to make Serious Sam 3 look any better on my 65" 4k screen.

That's the only "old" game I've played on my 2080Ti. The newer games just don't have the performance to spare for AA that cuts performance by 30% or more, and frankly, the modern AA options do just fine.
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.

Last edited by Exposed : Dec 18, 2019 at 10:16 AM.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote