Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Dec 26, 2019, 04:39 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Default I think I an done with AMD

Here is my history with ATI/AMD

I had all these Radeon cards over the years, and I always had various problems with all kinds of games for each of these videos, card. Usually ATI/AMD would eventually fix the issues, but it would take 1 year or more for ATI/AMD to eventually fix them.

These are the Radeon cards I had over the years:

The first Radeon

Radeon 9700 Pro

Radeon 7850

RX 5700 XT

by contrast, I had Nvidia cards between all of those Radeon cards, and never ever had any issues with any game due to driver issues.

AMD seems to make good hardware, but their drivers freak'n suck beyond belief after all these years. Why?

I am stuck with with AMD card for the next 3 years or so, but after this, I am done with AMD GPUs.
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2019, 06:02 PM   #2
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisberg View Post

I had all these Radeon cards over the years, and I always had various problems with all kinds of games for each of these videos, card. Usually ATI/AMD would eventually fix the issues, but it would take 1 year or more for ATI/AMD to eventually fix them.

The first Radeon

Radeon 9700 Pro

Radeon 7850

RX 5700 XT

by contrast, I had Nvidia cards between all of those Radeon cards, and never ever had any issues with any game due to driver issues.

AMD seems to make good hardware, but their drivers freak'n suck beyond belief after all these years. Why?

I am stuck with with AMD card for the next 3 years or so, but after this, I am done with AMD GPUs.
k
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS14, EVGA FTW3 2080Ti Sixtuple SLI, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2019, 06:22 PM   #3
Akumajo
White Devil Bastard

Akumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

The first Radeon

Radeon 9700 Pro

Radeon 7850

RX 5700 XT

Where's your APUs? I got four... two low tier and two maxed out the system tier... and yeah the driver support kinda sucks but it's ATI... erm AMD and Nvidia is way better but these days technology kinda sucks anyways.

It's all disposable CPUs and APUs... AMD really screwed up with not doing die shrinks to their CPUs and APUs to max them out and lost market share to Intel and only the consoles are keeping them alive pretty much.

"Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post
If anything there's just still too many guilible people in the fanbase willing to accept this garbage star wars disney/Kennedy edition."

Helghast... till the end of days!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruxcT6LEVzk Disney Star Wars SUCKS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESGXTFFZXM Kaz PTVD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogMXzbz9js
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--rU3Wq3WU My Bugatti V
Akumajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 26, 2019, 07:47 PM   #4
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:

The first Radeon

Radeon 9700 Pro

Radeon 7850

RX 5700 XT

I've had both at the same time back to the gtx 680 and had the same problems from both and about the same frequency just different games

even my RTX 2080 ti has had a few driver problems in games

but while your "stuck with with AMD card for the next 3 years " better save up for that 1500 buck NV tax for the RTX 4080 ti
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2019, 08:42 PM   #5
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Why would someone who's buying low to mid-range video-cards be saving up for a $1500 card?
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2019, 09:19 PM   #6
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Haven’t had an AMD card for a long while. Couldn’t be happier.
AMD needs to exist so we can get cheaper nvidia cards.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:06 PM   #7
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Why would someone who's buying low to mid-range video-cards be saving up for a $1500 card?
the Radeon 9700 Pro was not nor is the RX 5700 XT being AMD's top current card

and he did not list what NV cards he has bought

and what card low mid or high end is meaningless as to drivers

for that matter most crap blamed on both NV & AMD drivers is crap new games sold and released basically still in beta
and the both have the same problems in games made and backed for the other

so the only real reason to go with NVidia now or in the near future is to get a top or high end card as AMD does not have one close to a 2080 ti and most likely will not with the 3080 ti

maybe by the 4080 ti and MCM

Last edited by bill dennison : Dec 26, 2019 at 11:12 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:24 PM   #8
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post

for that matter most crap blamed on both NV & AMD drivers is crap new games sold and released basically still in beta
This right here. In many cases, it's the game developers piss poor coding. But instead of the game developers fixing their code to properly support each Video card, it's left up to AMD and Nvidia to do it via drivers. That's one reason why driver packages keep getting larger and larger. Yes some of it is due to added features/gui/etc. But the majority of the package size increase is added code to correct the game developers crap. Not to mention adding "fixes" for microsoft's incompetence with windows. AMD Driver package size has increased 150MB in two years, and is now 481MB in size. (January 2018, it was 336MB).

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2019, 02:39 AM   #9
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Grass is not any greenier. They both have driver issues crop up just as often.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2019, 07:54 AM   #10
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Honestly I basically only used ATi/AMD up until the Geforce 1000 series, and I never had any driver problems for the most part. Granted I was rarely playing games until a year or so+ after release, so maybe that was enough time to fix them. It was only when I got into VR that I had problems with poor performance and lack of optimization, which I mostly blame on Epic and UE4, and small dev teams that don't have the time or ability to optimize for cards with 20% marketshare.

I do feel like in the last year or so, since I got a Vega 64, that the AMD drivers have had some annoying issues. But that's not so much in games, but rather things like the card getting stuck running at max frequency when using multiple monitors.

It does sound like a lot of people are having problems with the 5700 series drivers, especially the 2020 version. So you're apparently not the only one with problems.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:11 AM   #11
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

I moved away from AMD gpus years ago because of driver issues. I've rarely had issues with nvidia drivers. They just work for me. Not nearly as much bloat as AMD drivers either (back in the early Catalyst days).
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:37 AM   #12
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:

A lot can change in 3 years. Will check back in 2023 for your "Bought a Radeon 21890 XtXTxt!" thread

I've had about equal parts pain with both camps, but the 1070 I have now and the R9 it replaced > few to no issues.

It needs to be noted though, I've only played a few games with any frequency in all that time. More gaming would probably show more issues....
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:41 AM   #13
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:

so the only real reason to go with NVidia now or in the near future is to get a top or high end card as AMD does not have one close to a 2080 ti and most likely will not with the 3080 ti

AMDs top current card performs and is priced as a mid-range card. What are you arguing again??? My point was that the price of the 4080TI doesn't matter to a guy that doesn't even look at cards in that performance segment, so why are you even bringing that up?

The 9700pro was over a decade ago..
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:10 PM   #14
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Haven’t had an AMD card for a long while. Couldn’t be happier.
AMD needs to exist so we can get cheaper nvidia cards.
Don't make me laugh. You won't pay $1,100 for the 2080Ti and you bitch about the price all the time Unfortunately cheaper Nvidia cards don't exist at the enthusiast level because Nvidia are basically acting as a monopoly and charging what they want.

That's fine if you're prepared to get pillaged for the performance/price ratio but in your case I think you need to STFU or buy a 2080Ti. Or wait even longer and pay more for a 3080Ti because again AMD will have nothing to compete against it.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:23 PM   #15
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Hey Eisberg I've had a Fury Pro, Vega 64 & now an AIB 5700XT and I've called out the AMD driver team for lack of supporting the features in the cards but overall the drivers have not been that bad for me. I honestly can't remember the last game issue I had with the drivers TBH.

Looking around the forums the NV drivers are not that brilliant either and I believe there is a zero day vulnerability in NV drivers & experience that they've recently issued an urgent patch for. So the grass isn't greener on the other side.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...ce-experience/
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2019, 01:03 PM   #16
Seyiji
Team 🌙 Moon

Seyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
Hey Eisberg I've had a Fury Pro, Vega 64 & now an AIB 5700XT and I've called out the AMD driver team for lack of supporting the features in the cards but overall the drivers have not been that bad for me. I honestly can't remember the last game issue I had with the drivers TBH.

Looking around the forums the NV drivers are not that brilliant either and I believe there is a zero day vulnerability in NV drivers & experience that they've recently issued an urgent patch for. So the grass isn't greener on the other side.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...ce-experience/
There have been a ton of security vulnerabilities in Nvidia drivers this year I've noticed. Par for the course it seems for the popular team. Given current rumors about Intel at least Intel is competing with Nvidia in one department :D

To bad that means the hax and jax bangbus for the rest of us

-"---"-
Rage3D PC Gaming Hit-List
Official PC Gaming Deals Thread
Has the above thread been misplaced/renamed/merged/stickied/locked? Well then there's a doins transpirin! Find the tome and bring forth the sacrifice to restore peace and order.
"VIAGRA FALLS, slowly I turned, and step by step, inch by inch, I walked up to him, I smashed him, I hit him, I bonked him, I bopped him, I socked him and I mashed his face and I knocked him down."
Seyiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2019, 03:24 PM   #17
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

the best is when people blame game crashes or blue screens on video drivers when it is actually an unstable OC (especially on memory)

I haven't had a driver crash from AMD in ages.

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:16 PM   #18
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Aquanox Deep Descent, every single AMD 5700 card has not been able to play the game at all. The developers have been testing it, trying to find where the problem is, and they determined driver issue. They got with AMD about it and AMD determined it was a driver issue that they'll fix some time in the future.

Bard's Tale IV. Game was able to work great with 19.12.1 drivers, upgrade to 19.12.2 drivers and the game no longer works at all, just crashes right back to desktop. Try 19.12.3, same problem. Had to go back to 19.12.1 to play the game again, but I am right back to having the issues that were fixed in the 19.12.2 drivers, like loss of display at random times and have to press the reboot button on my PC to fix it.

I get random crashes in random games as well, crashes I never got while I had my GTX 1070 video card playing the same games.

by the way, I don't overclock my hardware at all.
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:20 PM   #19
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Quote:

I only ever spend in the $400 range for new video cards, even for Nvidia, and about every 3 years ish.

The reason to go back to Nvidia in the future is for better driver support, better stable drivers, to not have problems like I do every single time I decide to come back to ATI/AMD.
Quote:
Old Dec 28, 2019, 08:38 AM   #20
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Took me a minute to remember the last AMD card I owned - Radeon R9 290 Pro. Was stable for me IIRC, just power hungry. If I didnt have a GSYNC display and AMD competed on the high end - I would consider them again.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2019, 10:25 AM   #21
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

For what it's worth, my GTX 1070 has given me far more driver issues than my old-ass laptop with an HD 5850M has.

Think you're in for a rude shock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2019, 03:30 PM   #22
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
For what it's worth, my GTX 1070 has given me far more driver issues than my old-ass laptop with an HD 5850M has.

Think you're in for a rude shock.
GTX 1070 is what I had since it released in 2016, until recently. Zero problems with driver issues the entire time.
Quote:
Old Dec 28, 2019, 09:23 PM   #23
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
GTX 1070 is what I had since it released in 2016, until recently. Zero problems with driver issues the entire time.
That is pure luck. Not everyone gets the same experience there.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2019, 12:42 AM   #24
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
I moved away from AMD gpus years ago because of driver issues. I've rarely had issues with nvidia drivers. They just work for me. Not nearly as much bloat as AMD drivers either (back in the early Catalyst days).
This. And unlike Bill my 2080Ti has had no driver issues.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2019, 02:11 AM   #25
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
This. And unlike Bill my 2080Ti has had no driver issues.
Quote:
New G-SYNC Compatible Monitors

The list of G-SYNC Compatible displays increases to over 60 options with the addition of the MSI MAG251RX and ViewSonic XG270 monitors.

Fixed Issues
•[Resolve]: The application may crash during timeline playback when using Blackmagic RAW CODEC media.
•[Forza Motorsport 7]: Game starts to stutter after racing a few laps
•[Fallout 76][G-SYNC]: The game frame rate drops with G-SYNC enabled.
•[GeForce GTX 1080 Ti]: There is no 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound option in the Windows Sound Properties.
•[GeForce GTX 1060 6GB][NVIDIA Control Panel]:The NVIDIA Control Panel reports an incorrect GPU framebuffer size.

Known Issues

Windows 7 Issues
•[World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth][DirectX 12]: The game crashes when switched from DirectX 11 to DirectX 12 mode.
odd I see a lot of Fixed Issues with every new driver if there are none

and there is the ever present NV bug 30 fps locked with vsync on in some games, some new and lot of older games sometimes it is fixed sometimes it never is
nice NV ether run a 1350 buck gpu at 30 fps or have tearing

I never had that with AMD or ATI

……….
and you can thank AMD for a lot of those "G-SYNC Compatible displays " that are just freesync

………

and they just gave NV another reason to rise prices

Quote:
NVIDIA & AMD Graphics Cards Could Get More Expensive in 2020 Due To Rising DRAM Demand
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-amd-grap...-gddr6-supply/

Last edited by bill dennison : Dec 29, 2019 at 02:19 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 06:33 AM   #26
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

My main monitor in a G-sync one so no issues there. I am glad they are supporting freesync. No game I've played this year has had driver issues.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2019, 04:31 PM   #27
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

I've dumped ATi/AMD for graphics many times. Somehow I keep taking them back .
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:05 PM   #28
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
My main monitor in a G-sync one so no issues there. I am glad they are supporting freesync. No game I've played this year has had driver issues.
I'm still a bit pissed off about the whole freesync thing--the fact it took them so long to come around to supporting it. They finally started supporting Freesync after I switched to a Vega 64 from a 1080. It only cost me about $100 to switch, but it was still just a little bit infuriating.

Still glad they came to their senses, even though I now have a G-sync display.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2019, 02:15 PM   #29
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I'm still a bit pissed off about the whole freesync thing--the fact it took them so long to come around to supporting it. They finally started supporting Freesync after I switched to a Vega 64 from a 1080. It only cost me about $100 to switch, but it was still just a little bit infuriating.

Still glad they came to their senses, even though I now have a G-sync display.
waiting on the 2020 stuff to come out with full HDMI 2.1

I want a 55 inch 4k/120 and VRR, Freesync & G-sync
Old Jan 8, 2020, 01:17 PM   #30
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Used AMD cards for many years, can't remember any driver related issues in games. But I only buy games during sales so they've typically been out for at least a year and all the bugs have been fixed.

Back in the Radeon 8500 days I loathed AMD driver updates because there was at least a 50% chance the update would result in a horribly choppy Windows desktop and/or shuffle all of my desktop icons. The Catalyst drivers were also a hot mess for a while with broken .NET framework dependencies and such. If you look at the driver files there are still tons of files named ATI this and that... AMD needs to do a ground-up rewrite.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote