Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Closed Thread

Old Sep 12, 2014, 06:42 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber
ATI Technologies AMD Radeon Fury rumor thread [closed]

http://www.techpowerup.com/205160/am...e-gtx-980.html

Quote:
It turns out that the big OEM design win liquid cooling solutions maker Asetek was bragging about, is the Radeon R9 390X, and the "disclosed OEM" AMD. Pictures of a cooler shroud is doing rounds on Chinese tech forums, which reveals something that's similar in design to the Radeon R9 295X2, only designed for single-GPU. The shroud has its fan intake pushed to where it normally is for single-GPU cards; with cutouts for the PCIe power connectors, and a central one, through with liquid cooling tubes pass through.

One can also take a peek at the base-plate of the cooler, which will cool the VRM and memory under the fan's air-flow. The cooler design reveals that AMD wants its reference-design cards to sound quieter "at any cost," even if it means liquid cooling solutions that can be messy with multi-card CrossFire setups, and in systems that already use liquid-cooling for the CPU; and leave it to AIB partners to come up with air-cooled cards, with meatier heatsinks. Other specs of the R9 390X are unknown, as is launch date. It could be based on a member of the "Pirate Islands" family of GPUs, of which the new "Tonga" GPU driving the R9 285 is a part of. A possible codename of AMD's big chip from this family is "Fiji."
Old Sep 12, 2014, 06:46 AM   #2
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

spaceship confirmed
Old Sep 12, 2014, 06:49 AM   #3
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

lol.

I have a feeling this thing is going to use tons of power. not that I care, but still. I'm just glad AMD listened to its customers, and fixed the noise issue that plagued the reference cooled 290 series. as much as I don't need to upgrade, I cant wait for this 390X.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 12, 2014, 07:33 AM   #4
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I'll more than likely try and get what I can for my cards and buy one or two of these.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 09:05 AM   #5
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

That'll be my next card. Assuming price stays similar to the 290X
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Sep 12, 2014, 09:30 AM   #6
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I'd like to get $200-250 a piece for these... prolly wont happen, but it would be nice. I aint gonna try and sell them until the 390x is readily available though.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:05 AM   #7
The Mac
Radeon Evergreen

The Mac once held a door open for a complete strangerThe Mac once held a door open for a complete strangerThe Mac once held a door open for a complete stranger

As Dave suggested, its most likely going to be Fiji, which means its new silicon.

It might be a bit early to decide its going ot use a lot of power.

If its based on the Tonga Design, it should be a hell of a lot more efficient than Hawaii
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:25 AM   #8
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

will hopefully it upgradeable and you can remove the little single rad for each card and add it to your full sized loop
and at least 3/8" tubes and a crossfire bridge for the water lines

yea I know i'll have to rip this factory cooler off and put on EK
Old Sep 12, 2014, 03:48 PM   #9
QEFX
AIW Rage Pro Turbo

QEFX can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyQEFX can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
spaceship confirmed
Turned on it's end it does kinda look 2001 black obelisk-ish.

And for some reason I read this as 230X. Just trying to think who in their right mind would OK a watercooled low end card. Must be time for a nap. Well if you wanted a silent HTPC .... Hmmmm.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 03:54 PM   #10
buzukh

buzukh is still being judged by the masses

All we knows that Nvidia’s is going to launch Second Generation Maxwell Architecture High-End Graphics Card named GTX 970 and GTX 980, but should not forgot about AMD which are lining up their new series of GPU’s. If we see the image the AMd Radeon R9 390X cooler is very similar to that of the R9 295X2.

AMD Radeon R9 390X cooler
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:42 AM   #11
Akumajo
White Devil Bastard

Akumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete stranger

Die shrink? New GPU? ? Or just cool new heatsink? ?

"Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post
If anything there's just still too many guilible people in the fanbase willing to accept this garbage star wars disney/Kennedy edition."

Helghast... till the end of days!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruxcT6LEVzk Disney Star Wars SUCKS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESGXTFFZXM Kaz PTVD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogMXzbz9js
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--rU3Wq3WU My Bugatti V
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:54 AM   #12
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumajo View Post
Die shrink? New GPU? ? Or just cool new heatsink? ?
No die shrink, but it's definitely has to be the new GPU and the new cooler design for sure. I'm not sure if this is the 390X, but I think it's probably the 380X which is Fiji. The 390X is the Bermuda.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Old Sep 14, 2014, 01:03 AM   #13
sandorski
Radeon Volcanic Islands

sandorski is still being judged by the masses

The first PCB Free video card!!
Old Sep 14, 2014, 01:52 AM   #14
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeckcold57 View Post
No die shrink, but it's definitely has to be the new GPU and the new cooler design for sure. I'm not sure if this is the 390X, but I think it's probably the 380X which is Fiji. The 390X is the Bermuda.
No die shrink no buy

two cards on the same node is my limit if
if its still on 28nm it will surely pump out more heat into the room than a 290x

unless it is 35%+ faster then I maybe able to do 1600p with a single card instead of two 290x's
then my system might end up running cooler
Old Sep 14, 2014, 04:37 AM   #15
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Woah! Didn't see this thread. So when are these cards supposed to be out?
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:49 AM   #16
atomBomb
Diamond Stealth 2mb VRAM

atomBomb is still being judged by the masses

We wants stacked RAM on it for 4k!?

AMD would be just crazy if it could not run 4k @60fps, I think crossfire 290x can't do that?
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:55 AM   #17
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

Depends on the game some need R9 290X Trifire or quadfire and some work just fine at 60fps at 3840 x 2160 in Crossfire or a single GPU.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:01 PM   #18
Akumajo
White Devil Bastard

Akumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
No die shrink no buy

if its still on 28nm it will surely pump out more heat into the room than a 290x

unless it is 35%+ faster then I maybe able to do 1600p with a single card instead of two 290x's
There's supposed to be the implementation of 3d transistor architecture which increases the amount of transistors in a die...just not sure how it's going to work in the thermal theory.

SSDs are already using this in order to improve ram...usually die shrinks are tested with SRAM samples prior to shrinking CPUs and GPUs which are major thermal monsters.

"Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post
If anything there's just still too many guilible people in the fanbase willing to accept this garbage star wars disney/Kennedy edition."

Helghast... till the end of days!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruxcT6LEVzk Disney Star Wars SUCKS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESGXTFFZXM Kaz PTVD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogMXzbz9js
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--rU3Wq3WU My Bugatti V
Old Sep 14, 2014, 01:04 PM   #19
shadow001
Captain thread derail....

shadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
No die shrink no buy

To be honest, Tonga is pretty impressive in the power consumption dept and as much as I hate still being stuck with 28nm, we're limited to both AMD and Nvidia trying to deliver maximum performance while using the least amount of power possible, and both AMD's Tonga and Nvidia's GM104 seem to deliver, so we have to cross our fingers and see what can be done with higher end parts, now that the 28nm process is as mature as it'll ever be.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 05:01 PM   #20
The Mac
Radeon Evergreen

The Mac once held a door open for a complete strangerThe Mac once held a door open for a complete strangerThe Mac once held a door open for a complete stranger

Im sure they can squeeze some more efficiency out of it.

The Node/Process may be mature, but it doesnt mean design is.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 07:30 PM   #21
wheeljack21
Radeon R520

wheeljack21 is still being judged by the masses

for those of us that still air cool, where the heck does AMD expect us to put 2,3 or 4 closed loop coolers? I have a corsair h60 where you would put a AMD gpu cooler. The only case I know of that has internal fans where you could put two gpu coolers is the rosewill blackhawk ultra. I know for you modders who like to water cool everything with a proper setup for all of your components, this is a no brainer. In other words, I am not sacrificing my cpu cooler for a gpu one. And it seems fiji is going to be AMD's fermi where they run hot naturally. I really hope AIB's can make custom dual slot air cooling for the 390x. What happened to vapor chamber cooling?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:53 PM   #22
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeljack21 View Post
for those of us that still air cool, where the heck does AMD expect us to put 2,3 or 4 closed loop coolers? I have a corsair h60 where you would put a AMD gpu cooler. The only case I know of that has internal fans where you could put two gpu coolers is the rosewill blackhawk ultra. I know for you modders who like to water cool everything with a proper setup for all of your components, this is a no brainer. In other words, I am not sacrificing my cpu cooler for a gpu one. And it seems fiji is going to be AMD's fermi where they run hot naturally. I really hope AIB's can make custom dual slot air cooling for the 390x. What happened to vapor chamber cooling?
what cpu and oc ?

for one card stack the rads (if) both are 120mm that little 27mm thick rad of the H60 is should not block a lot of air

stack them h60 rad-fan-gpu rad- fan then out of case

unless your are oc the crap out of the cpu it should not preheat the air to the gpu all that much with good air flow

for gpu number 2, 3 and 4 you are right will make it ruff

here is two 295x2 with rads under the drive bays on front
http://www.kitguru.net/desktop-pc/za...stem-review/4/

Last edited by bill dennison : Sep 17, 2014 at 01:03 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 03:18 PM   #23
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
what cpu and oc ?

for one card stack the rads (if) both are 120mm that little 27mm thick rad of the H60 is should not block a lot of air

stack them h60 rad-fan-gpu rad- fan then out of case

unless your are oc the crap out of the cpu it should not preheat the air to the gpu all that much with good air flow

for gpu number 2, 3 and 4 you are right will make it ruff

here is two 295x2 with rads under the drive bays on front
http://www.kitguru.net/desktop-pc/za...stem-review/4/
Being a 295x2 owner after reading that review of Quadfire that guy was a complete idiot... 75c is the thermal limit of the 295x2, that's where it begins to throttle, the 295x2 needs to stay at or below 75c, he had the rads setup as intake, blowing all that hot air over the 295x2's increasing the temps considerably. The highest I've ever seen my 295x2 hit was 73c and that's with a conservative overclock. That was a dumb setup.....
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS14, EVGA FTW3 2080Ti Sixtuple SLI, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Old Sep 19, 2014, 04:33 PM   #24
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
Being a 295x2 owner after reading that review of Quadfire that guy was a complete idiot... 75c is the thermal limit of the 295x2, that's where it begins to throttle, the 295x2 needs to stay at or below 75c, he had the rads setup as intake, blowing all that hot air over the 295x2's increasing the temps considerably. The highest I've ever seen my 295x2 hit was 73c and that's with a conservative overclock. That was a dumb setup.....
I just looked at it did not read it

I would have had them blow out the front and maybe reverse the top fan to blow in, not blow card heat back in

but most likely I would make two headers(inlet & outlet) from one of my 3/8" loops to split the flow to the two 1/4" lines it looks like
and cut off there rads and use one of my Monsta 560mm rads or put another in

or just slap EK blocks on them
Old Sep 19, 2014, 05:35 PM   #25
shadow001
Captain thread derail....

shadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mac View Post
Im sure they can squeeze some more efficiency out of it.

The Node/Process may be mature, but it doesnt mean design is.

Well, we now know what the new high water mark is in efficiency, since Tonga uses 190 watts for a near 5 billion transistor budget at 359mm^ die size, and operates at just over 900 Mhz stock and still quite a bit slower than Hawaii.

Here comes GM204 at 5.2 billion transistors, on a 400mm^ die, operating at a base clock of 1100 Mhz, with a 165 watt TDP and faster than Hawaii in most cases, even 4k results and it only has a 256 bit memory bus.

People at AMD must be shitting bricks right now at what they have to face with the high end Maxwell....
Old Sep 20, 2014, 04:35 PM   #26
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Old Sep 20, 2014, 05:00 PM   #27
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

I think if they are doing it that quick, they aren't scared of Nvidia's newest.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 05:20 PM   #28
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adp1p3 View Post
it does look like they were waiting to rain on someone's parade
Old Sep 20, 2014, 05:27 PM   #29
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adp1p3 View Post
Or its just posturing. Also I smell Firepro line of cards, not video gaming cards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
I'd bet it would be fun to do him up the ass.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 05:32 PM   #30
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

They will probably be able to ship a faster card than the 980 even if the 390x is just a tweaked 290 with that asetek cooler, it will just not be as power efficient as the maxwell lineup.
Closed Thread