Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Jul 17, 2008, 06:15 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
turkishgold

turkishgold is still being judged by the masses

Default Windows XP Professional x64, an NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500, and an ATI Radeon x1300: help!

Hi, The ATI customer support actually recommended me to this site. I have a Dell Precision 690 workstation which has an NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 card in it that I'm using for two monitors now. Dell recommended to me to get, based on my service tag code, an ATI Radeon x1300 so that I could hook up a third monitor. This is simply a workstation for work, I don't use it for gaming or anything that needs major horsepower, though I want a decently good display.

The problem is that after I install the ATI driver from their website (the most current - 8.6), I get a blue screen of death error message after restarting. It states that 'the driver is mismanaging PTEs' and the STOP code is 0x000000DA. If I reboot in safe mode and uninstall the driver and then reboot, it boots up fine.

I spent an hour on the phone with Dell tech support, and the conclustion they came to was that it might be because I'm trying to use an NVIDIA card with an ATI card. I have updated everything imaginable from the Dell web site (BIOS hardware chipset, Motherboard chipset) and my OS is up to date with all critical and optional microsoft update service packs. It's got a 1kw power supply so that's not an issue.

Is it possible to use these two cards together???? I don't know what else to do, and tech support for both Dell and ATI don't have any ideas.... HELP!! Surely something like this has been done before....

thanks much for any advice or tips you all can provide
--Tom

Last edited by turkishgold : Jul 17, 2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 06:38 PM   #2
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Unfortunately I think your best option is going to be to return the X1300 and get an nvidia card. I would go with a qaudro FX card of the same generation as the 4500 so you only need 1 driver, though this may be financially impossible. A quadro NVS285 might be the best bet.

An alternative would be to consider a Matrox Triple Head-2Go.

From what I can tell, the problem lies with the nVidia driver incorrectly using Page Table Entries; this is supposition based on googling and reading MS KB's.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:52 PM   #3
turkishgold

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
From what I can tell, the problem lies with the nVidia driver incorrectly using Page Table Entries; this is supposition based on googling and reading MS KB's.
don't you mean the ATI driver...since I got that error after installing the ATI drivers?

Yeah dell tech support thought that the two different brands might not be playing nicely together, though I'm then baffled as to why the numbskull I've been dealing with at Dell recommended the ATI given my current configuration....
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:58 PM   #4
turkishgold

what are the main considerations I need to be aware of for getting a second graphics card? That is, relative to my current graphics card, my PC (operating system), etc.? It's a pretty new issue for me as my tech. knowledge is more software related, not so much hardware.

Again, my current card is a NVIDIA QUADRO FX 4500. I want a second card to run a third monitor....and I'd like to stay under $200

thanks!
--Tom
Old Jul 18, 2008, 11:44 AM   #5
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Like I said, everything I've seen is that the nVidia driver isn't handling PTE correctly, and this is causing the conflict with the ATi driver. Look in the event log for more details on the stop error to see which driver was causing the crash.

Main considerations - I would stick with the same vendor, and class of card. That said, you're not going to get the same class GPU as an FX4500 for under $200, so I think you're best bet would be the quadro NVS285 I linked you too. That's the stock basic card that comes with a P690.