Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Aug 19, 2019, 01:37 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Default Puzzling tire question

Not long after I bought my Super Sport I had Kumho Solus TA71 installed. They receive high reviews but I was kind of sceptical. They do come factory on higher end KIA and Hyundai vehicle's.
Anyway on to the subject. I cannot keep them in balance.
They've been rebalanced three times they're good for a week or two then they go out from 55 to 68. I've taken the car to have the front end checked. Left outer tie rod replaced and four wheel alignment. Rebalanced still comes back. Ideas?

https://drivingpress.com/kumho-solus-ta71-review/
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2019, 01:51 PM   #2
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

Have they been road force balanced? Maybe they need match mounting? Are the tires slowly slipping on the wheels and messing up the balance?
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Corsair MP510 480GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2019, 02:09 PM   #3
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

All possibilities. In a town my size I don't know of anyone who road force balances tires. I'll have to look into that. I really don't brake or launch the car hard but they could still be slipping. When I do get them rebalanced I'll mark the tires to be sure.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 19, 2019, 04:22 PM   #4
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

On which car?

I have had this issue with Falken tires a while back.

It sounds like you need but did not get XL tires for your vehicle...
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2019, 06:01 PM   #5
kytprice
Autism Awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGoa View Post
On which car?

I have had this issue with Falken tires a while back.

It sounds like you need but did not get XL tires for your vehicle...
2009 Impala SS. I put 235/50R18 on it which is the factory size and it has the factory aluminum wheels on it. GM doesn't call for XL tires for this car. But I do suspect I chose a poor brand regardless of reviews.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 06:16 PM   #6
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

What are you keeping the tire pressure at?

How old is the suspension on the car?

My parents Hyundai was an evil prick, it shifted and would destroy the front tires. Took a front strut tower bar to lock it down. Had a Sonoma that would drive around the block and abd it wouldn't be aligned, even the mechanic was stumped because everything was tight or new.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2019, 08:23 PM   #7
kytprice
Autism Awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21 View Post
What are you keeping the tire pressure at?

How old is the suspension on the car?

My parents Hyundai was an evil prick, it shifted and would destroy the front tires. Took a front strut tower bar to lock it down. Had a Sonoma that would drive around the block and abd it wouldn't be aligned, even the mechanic was stumped because everything was tight or new.
The car has 40,000 miles on it. 35 psi. I've had the suspension checked along with the frontend. Only thing wrong was one outer tie rod which was replaced. Alignment was done with no problems. I should note the Goodyear's that came on it I had no problem with. They just needed changed because of tread wear.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:21 AM   #8
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

A thing to remember is that GM OE tires aren't made the same as the street ones. So the stockers might have lacked the XL tag but have been built up to hold more weight than the normal tires.

Either that or you rolled unlucky and got a bum set of tires. It happens. Next set I'd suggest the XL rating on the tires.

Is it just the fronts going out of wack?

Heatware
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:44 PM   #9
kytprice
Autism Awareness

Yep just the fronts. I'm going Friday to have them force balanced if that doesn't work I'll live with it for awhile and think about new wheels and tires.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 04:43 PM   #10
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

Yeah, then the tires are definitely not holding up under the weight being put on them.

The joys of FWD. It will be interesting to see if the fancy balancing helps. You may want to try rotating them too.

Heatware
Old Aug 20, 2019, 06:35 PM   #11
kytprice
Autism Awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21 View Post
Yeah, then the tires are definitely not holding up under the weight being put on them.

The joys of FWD. It will be interesting to see if the fancy balancing helps. You may want to try rotating them too.
Yes FWD with over 300hp doesn't help. Eh maybe I'll test drive a V8 Camaro or Mustang. I'm already getting bored with this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 07:18 PM   #12
Roadhog_
Sausages

Roadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytprice View Post
Yes FWD with over 300hp doesn't help. Eh maybe I'll test drive a V8 Camaro or Mustang. I'm already getting bored with this.
Why are you using such crap tires with "over 300hp" FWD?

Could be anything in the drive train or suspension making it feel like an out of balance tire too.
Roadhog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2019, 08:25 PM   #13
kytprice
Autism Awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog_ View Post
Why are you using such crap tires with "over 300hp" FWD?

Could be anything in the drive train or suspension making it feel like an out of balance tire too.
You've hit the nail on the head I think. While looking online they were on sale and since that brand came on my wife's 1919 KIA and had good reviews I thought they'd be good to go. But apparently they are indeed crap.
I've checked and had checked everything I can think of. Bushings, bearings, tie rods and I keep coming back to sucky tires. Well off to a good brand then.
Suggestions?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 07:37 PM   #14
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Have they started bulging on the sidewalls?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:06 PM   #15
kytprice
Autism Awareness

Quote:
Have they started bulging on the sidewalls?
No nothing obvious at all. Just a slight bounce from 55 to 68. Crap like that drives me crazy. OCD I guess.
I've watched them rebalance the tires. No obvious broken belts or anything.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 02:38 PM   #16
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

You could try using balancing beads instead of weights. They toss the beads inside the tire and they dynamically balance it.

It's kinda nifty and it worked for me. It is more expensive though than fixed weight balancing.

Heatware
Old Aug 24, 2019, 09:38 PM   #17
kytprice
Autism Awareness

I had them Road Force Balance the tires Friday. So far so good. If that doesn't work I may try those balance beads or a better set of tires.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 01:08 PM   #18
kytprice
Autism Awareness

Question answered. Two of the tires were totally out of acceptable specifications two were fine. Balanced them all with the the road force balance machine which did a much better job. The two that I guess are seconds are one the rear the two good on the front. It's much better now. But, I can't rotate the tires. I'm going to wear them out like this and consider it a lesson learned.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 05:44 PM   #19
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

Might I suggest a few donut runs with the handbrake to move things along?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 01:18 AM   #20
kytprice
Autism Awareness

Quote:
Might I suggest a few donut runs with the handbrake to move things along?
Hard to do on a FWD. I could power brake the back end with handbrake. That'll swing it around.