Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:15 PM   #241
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
The all-new mid-engine C8 Corvette still has a 6.2-liter naturally aspirated pushrod V-8 heart, but with everything else that's been changed, does it still sound like a Corvette? We pulled out the expensive cameras and microphones so you can decide for yourself.
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/h...-launch-video/
Mahjik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2019, 01:06 AM   #242
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I'm 26 years old. You don't think I have responsibilities?

hey that too
I thought you were living the dream!
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2019, 06:45 PM   #243
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Not my photos, but dealerships are starting to get their press vehicles. This one just showed up at one of my local dealerships. They had press day with it today where people could come view it and sit in it. I wasn't able to go, but these are some photos when it arrived at the dealership.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:03 AM   #244
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

BTW, that is wear you see on the driver's seat. It is a press car that is touring the dealerships to let the common (read fat) American try to squeeze into the car. However, it does bring up some concerns over how long some of the internal materials will hold up over time.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:06 AM   #245
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
BTW, that is wear you see on the driver's seat. It is a press car that is touring the dealerships to let the common (read fat) American try to squeeze into the car. However, it does bring up some concerns over how long some of the internal materials will hold up over time.
Wow!

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:04 AM   #246
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

It's a Corvette, it's to be expected.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:05 AM   #247
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Americans need auto-articulating bolsters to prevent that sort of wear

https://patents.google.com/patent/US9193284B2/en
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:11 AM   #248
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Americans need auto-articulating bolsters to prevent that sort of wear

https://patents.google.com/patent/US9193284B2/en
To be fair to the Vette though, I've seen wear on the lower edge and side bolsters of seats on pretty much every car I've looked at. Not all the cars, but at least one of each model. My Golf R has the wear. A couple Porsche's I test drove had it. My XTerra does, almost all the F150's I drove, etc.

I'm sure there are cars that hold up better, without a doubt. But Americans are hefty folks.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 06:38 PM   #249
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:40 PM   #250
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Apparently, October 16th will lift the press embargo so we'll start getting some detailed feedback then.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:17 PM   #251
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

MAYBE IT'S just my perception but the shifts seem really slow. he pulls it and there's like a little delay.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2019, 04:57 PM   #252
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

The shifts seem pretty on par from what I can tell on the video. Actually driving it might be a different story but I couldn't tell any bad delay with that video.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 08:39 AM   #253
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Shifts look fine to me. Of course, I've never driven a paddle shift without a small electronic delay of some sort. Obviously, I've never had the pleasure of driving one of the newer 911's with the PDK. I'm sure those are lightning quick, as are others.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:43 AM   #254
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Why post a video to show off the engine noise and then short-shift every ****ing gear ... jesus christ
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:53 AM   #255
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Why post a video to show off the engine noise and then short-shift every ****ing gear ... jesus christ
Keep in mind, those engine are not necessarily high revving engines to begin with... i.e. you aren't going to ring out that motor to 8500 rpms.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 03:37 PM   #256
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Keep in mind, those engine are not necessarily high revving engines to begin with... i.e. you aren't going to ring out that motor to 8500 rpms.
He revs significantly higher on downshifts. He short-shifted hard judging by the sound. I could be wrong. I know it’s not a high-rev motor but it sounds like he was shifting around 4500 in comparison to the downshifts. That motor should be capping out at high 5K, low 6K afaik.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Oct 2, 2019, 06:46 PM   #257
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

He was definitely short shifting. Not the whole time, but he was. Dont think it's really a big deal myself, he was definitely pushing it a little bit. At least enough to get a taste of the car and some audio.

I'm not overly impressed with the sound of the exhaust. Probably just his video though, because even an LS3 can sound wicked when being driven hard on a track...if you can capture the exhaust well enough. I'm use to the sound of the exhaust under lots of boost, which is a whole different animal.

Last edited by OverclockN' : Oct 2, 2019 at 07:33 PM.
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2019, 08:50 AM   #258
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
He revs significantly higher on downshifts. He short-shifted hard judging by the sound. I could be wrong. I know it’s not a high-rev motor but it sounds like he was shifting around 4500 in comparison to the downshifts. That motor should be capping out at high 5K, low 6K afaik.
On downshifts, that's the ECU auto-blipping. There are times in high torque cars to short shift on tracks for a reason. Generally, either to keep traction or you run out of powerband in the wrong place.

Also, not all motors make their best power at the top of their RPM range. My 4C for example, tops out about 7k rpms. If you take it that far, you are well out of your power range for the gear as the power drops off after around 5500 in that car. My S2000 is completely different where it doesn't wake up until around 6k rpms.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 09:03 AM   #259
Nunz
RIP Roxen

these god damn modern cars and technology with your auto-blips and computers *grumbles in old man stick-shift*
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:33 PM   #260
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

C8.R sound:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ace-car-sound/

Quote:
At the reveal of the C8 Corvette convertible last night, Chevrolet had a surprise in store—the C8.R race car. The automaker didn't reveal any details on its new IMSA WeatherTech series challenger, but it did produce a video that indicates the C8.R is sporting a very interesting engine.

If you haven't yet, watch video of the C8 road car on track, then come back and watch this clip above of the C8.R ripping around the Kennedy Space Center. It doesn't take a particularly sharp ear to notice that the C8.R sounds very different from the street car. Or any Corvette from the past six decades.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:42 PM   #261
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
these god damn modern cars and technology with your auto-blips and computers *grumbles in old man stick-shift*
I installed an auto blip controller in my C5Z track car and have never looked back. I loooove that little magic box.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:44 PM   #262
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
is auto blips when it extra revs on downshifts? i hear that term in like every single car vid and don't kno for sure what it is. and is that any different from (auto?) rev matching?
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:51 PM   #263
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
is auto blips when it extra revs on downshifts? i hear that term in like every single car vid and don't kno for sure what it is. and is that any different from (auto?) rev matching?
Yes, a device or software that automatically increases the RPM between down shifts to match the engine and transmission speeds.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:54 PM   #264
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
auto-blip is auto rev-matching.

in my car, when i downshift i have to manually blip the throttle in order to rev-match. on overclockn's C5Z, which has an auto-blip box, the box will control the throttle and automatically blip it for the rev-match.

that auto-blip box would be cool even for everyday driving..
Old Oct 3, 2019, 04:27 PM   #265
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

It doesn't really work at all for daily driving, unless you brake like a lunatic everywhere.

For it to blip, you need to be on the brake first and then clutch while braking. It then blips the throttle a specific amount of rpms from where it currently is based on the duration and amount you set. So, it really only works when you're diving into corners on the track, since it's set specifically for that scenario. I sometimes forget to turn it off when entering the paddock, and the car will rev for no good reason. You'd be doing that in traffic every time you're on the brake and then touch the clutch pedal.

When you do it yourself, you can rev match at whatever speed and in any condition. It's definitely the better way to do it. I just honestly didn't care enough to learn that skill, at least right now.

Last edited by OverclockN' : Oct 3, 2019 at 04:37 PM.
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2019, 05:31 PM   #266
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I can’t heel-toe but I’ll rev match my little shitbox all day long on downshifts. I also thought the controller was more complex than that, as in it could do it automatically at any range on its own, not a preset value that you set and have to replicate the same type of scenario for.

Damn!
Old Oct 10, 2019, 10:09 PM   #267
AdamK47
Radeon R700

AdamK47 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAdamK47 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I turn on the auto rev match in my 7-speed manual C7 Z06 every time I drive the car. I love hearing the engine on down shifts. Use to heel/toe my '15 Chevy SS all the time. The Corvette kinda takes the fun out of the manual process of doing it, but the sound and precision of it is great.
AdamK47 is offline   Reply With Quote