Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Jul 29, 2019, 07:34 AM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Finally got the configurator to work, I would love something like this:

Configurator draws the stripes over the glass roof, I'd imagine that's not how it's supposed to be
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2019, 04:21 PM   #182
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Dont know the restrictions or alotment. But Chevy's touting they are already "nearly sold out" for 2020.

If that's true, depending on the numbers. That could be huge.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2019, 05:15 PM   #183
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post

One is 7x the price of the other.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 29, 2019, 05:27 PM   #184
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

I'm not attempting to justify the price gap, but one is significantly faster than the other and they look very different. The C8 will be a fast car, but not Ford GT fast. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 05:40 PM   #185
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
I'm not attempting to justify the price gap, but one is significantly faster than the other and they look very different. The C8 will be a fast car, but not Ford GT fast. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
The Ford would run circles around the Chevy on a track.
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2019, 07:23 PM   #186
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands

nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post

that's like saying a Kia Rio is the same thing as a Mercedes. both have 4 wheels and get you to the same place. lol.
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2019, 03:40 PM   #187
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Nice coverage, but drink an energy drink before watching

MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2019, 03:56 PM   #188
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
signs that you aren't a car guy
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2019, 03:56 PM   #189
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGoa View Post
Nice coverage, but drink an energy drink before watching
Guy is hilarious!

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2019, 07:26 PM   #190
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrs421 View Post
2020 production run is almost sold out apparently
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2019, 07:27 PM   #191
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Old Jul 30, 2019, 09:48 PM   #192
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

You can see how blatantly obvious it is that GM isn't use to making nice interiors. None of the stitching lines up, some of the stitching just abruptly ends, it starts and stops randomly as panels are strewn about, etc. That and the cup holder design stood out immediately.

Also, curious design on the dry sump system. I wonder how well that will work compared to the C6Z. I never saw a dry sump mentioned in the C7Z. But the C6Z had a totally separate container and pump, and it worked only moderately well. Anyone doing serious track time usually swapped it out with an aftermarket setup. It's nice to see them doing it on the base model (Z51) too. Clearly, they learned their lesson after the LS3 mess.

GM is taking a lot of interesting steps with this new model. Anxious to check one out in person, and see how they do on the track when people start to wring it out and see what's what.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:07 PM   #193
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Nice history video, some of those concepts are just

MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2019, 08:15 PM   #194
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGoa View Post
Nice history video, some of those concepts are just
That's a cool video!

I still have a love/hate thing going on for this car. I'm going to have to see one in person. I'm definitely not going to be in the first wave of people buying them, but I'm not ruling out owning one in a few years. I'm curious to see if the upper models have a more aggressive stance like they have done with the C6 & C7's.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:15 AM   #195
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
You can see how blatantly obvious it is that GM isn't use to making nice interiors. None of the stitching lines up, some of the stitching just abruptly ends, it starts and stops randomly as panels are strewn about, etc. That and the cup holder design stood out immediately.
And it's not like they don't have nice interiors in their parts bin. Caddy interiors are sweet. Probably just trying to keep costs down...
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:28 AM   #196
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
And it's not like they don't have nice interiors in their parts bin. Caddy interiors are sweet. Probably just trying to keep costs down...
Which Cadillac? My buddy owned a 2013 ATS for a couple of years. I was in it and drove it quite a bit. The interior in that wasn't spectacular either. Didn't think they made any real changes since then.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:37 AM   #197
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Which Cadillac? My buddy owned a 2013 ATS for a couple of years. I was in it and drove it quite a bit. The interior in that wasn't spectacular either. Didn't think they made any real changes since then.
really? idk i thought the modern ones are fine for a luxury brand.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:56 AM   #198
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
really? idk i thought the modern ones are fine for a luxury brand.
For a luxury brand? Heck no. It was OK for an average car.

BMW and Audi are far superior in material quality and build construction. Hell, my Golf R is significantly better.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:57 PM   #199
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

I don't think the C8 interior is terrible, but it's not my taste. I do think they have done a good job catering to their core customers. They are typically 'larger' individuals who like a lot of technology in their vehicles. The C8 is a large vehicle and can fit large drivers. It also has a large infotainment screen. I think they nailed what they were going for with the car (and limiting their budget to not build a base $160k car).
Old Aug 1, 2019, 01:37 PM   #200
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Definitely not a terrible interior (only the steering wheel is). Not a big fan of the design, but that doesn't make it bad...that's subjective. My post was nitpicking the details. It shows they've made progress if I have to nitpick...the C5 and C6 was blatantly obvious.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 03:17 PM   #201
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

So...

Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2019, 04:12 PM   #202
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

1LT Z51 is a hell of a value
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2019, 04:41 PM   #203
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Every single one of those packages are incredible value. I’m wondering how this insane adoption rate will affect the C5/6/7 prices .. because if this pushes solid C6 Z06 into the 15-20k market .. yum I’ll be owning on in the next 3 years.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2019, 04:45 PM   #204
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Crazy that the Z51 is only $5k more
Old Aug 15, 2019, 05:18 PM   #205
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
because if this pushes solid C6 Z06 into the 15-20k market .. yum I’ll be owning on in the next 3 years.
You and me both!
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2019, 05:29 PM   #206
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Every single one of those packages are incredible value. I’m wondering how this insane adoption rate will affect the C5/6/7 prices .. because if this pushes solid C6 Z06 into the 15-20k market .. yum I’ll be owning on in the next 3 years.
Consumables are a bit expensive, but if it drops THAT low...I may not be far behind. My friends and I have had numerous Radical SR3 discussions now, and a long talk about it over our past trip...so that may throw a wrench in a C6Z upgrade path.

But... a C6Z for $20k or less would be the new bargain performance car deal of the century.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 06:25 PM   #207
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Consumables are a bit expensive, but if it drops THAT low...I may not be far behind. My friends and I have had numerous Radical SR3 discussions now, and a long talk about it over our past trip...so that may throw a wrench in a C6Z upgrade path.

But... a C6Z for $20k or less would be the new bargain performance car deal of the century.
Unless you are really ready for all the headaches of a real race car (not even my S2000 is at that level), I would skip the Radical. Even as hardcore as I appear to be about racing/tracking, the Radical is too much effort to get it on the track than I want to do. It's definitely not an "arrive and drive" vehicle.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 07:53 PM   #208
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Unless you are really ready for all the headaches of a real race car (not even my S2000 is at that level), I would skip the Radical. Even as hardcore as I appear to be about racing/tracking, the Radical is too much effort to get it on the track than I want to do. It's definitely not an "arrive and drive" vehicle.
It won't happen tomorrow or next week. We are all still learning about the cars, and I'd be a couple years out anyway. Maybe I'll reach the same conclusion as you, we'll see. There's no rush.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 09:25 PM   #209
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
It won't happen tomorrow or next week. We are all still learning about the cars, and I'd be a couple years out anyway. Maybe I'll reach the same conclusion as you, we'll see. There's no rush.
It's a lot of work. The oil and coolant temperatures have to be at specific temps. My buddy had to get a block heater for his for the cool days and has to start it about an hour before his first session to ensure it's warm enough to drive. On warmer days, he has to start the warm up process about 20-30 minutes before. You have to either open, or block off the air inlets based on your coolant and oil temps you are seeing (so there is a guessing game until you've logged enough data to know how much opening to use for the weather). There is no fuel gauge. You know how much fuel you used by pumping the fuel cell dry and calculating your fuel use. etc...

For people who have never driven aero dependent race cars, it's a little overwhelming to start out on. I would highly recommend that you and friends attend the Spring Mountain Radical School before purchasing (FWIW, I'm looking at doing that school next year with my Radical friend as you always learn something). That will give you good instruction on driving such a car. It's a lot different from a street car.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:46 PM   #210
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Considering how much I hate the absolutely horrible ABS systems that GM uses... Leaving out their usual electronic hiccups...

It'll be interesting in a few years, to see how well these brake by wire setups survive.

Hopefully it results in great youtube videos, and no serious injuries.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote