Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Jul 21, 2019, 03:42 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

I have to have this car!
It's absolutely stunning and the price tag is ...manageable.

I'm in love!
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2019, 08:17 PM   #152
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

I have to say I was never a fan of the Corvette, but I have ti tip my hat on how they
totally blank slated this one

MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2019, 08:07 AM   #153
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I mean it's not a total blank slate, one part still crosses over from the C7... The Corvette flags badge
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 22, 2019, 09:34 AM   #154
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I mean it's not a total blank slate, one part still crosses over from the C7... The Corvette flags badge
Stingray name too, wasn't the C7 also called the Corvette Stingray?
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:30 AM   #155
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Stingray name too, wasn't the C7 also called the Corvette Stingray?
Yes, the C7 was the first in several past generations to bring back the Stingray name.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:24 AM   #156
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...rsche-gearbox/

Interesting read, the "Holden" test mule used a Porsche transmission. The DCT that's in the final product is a Tremec design/built, and the flappy paddles are wired directly to the transmission.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 01:12 PM   #157
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Old Jul 22, 2019, 09:25 PM   #158
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGoa View Post
I have to say I was never a fan of the Corvette, but I have ti tip my hat on how they
totally blank slated this one

Pure sex!
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2019, 09:47 PM   #159
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

I'm not feeling it in the darker colors. I think the dark colors hide too much of the body details.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 08:10 AM   #160
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
I'm not feeling it in the darker colors. I think the dark colors hide too much of the body details.
Have to agree. I want to see it in the classic yellow.

I think it'll look really good in silver.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2019, 09:19 AM   #161
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Have to agree. I want to see it in the classic yellow.

I think it'll look really good in silver.
https://visualizer-west.chevrolet.co...US&channel=b2c

Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:23 AM   #162
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

ceramic matrix grey metallic

thanks i need to find new shorts
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:59 PM   #163
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

If I did one, it would either be white or red.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 01:13 PM   #164
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
ceramic matrix grey metallic

thanks i need to find new shorts
That with the black wheels.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2019, 05:22 PM   #165
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Keep this in mind people: Development started at Holden back in 2015,
they have invested between 1 and 1.5 billion dollars in that car...
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2019, 06:10 PM   #166
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

If I were to build one, this is what it would look like...
Old Jul 23, 2019, 06:45 PM   #167
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

doesn't seem that bad imo.

bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:33 PM   #168
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Going against the grain a bit here, but there are some things I don't care for on the C8.

It's the heaviest Vette ever made with a base model at about 3,600lbs. I realize it still moves, and it's the trend...but still.

It has terrible luggage capacity for a Corvette. Good for mid-engine, bad for a Corvette. There's a difference. I keep seeing media making a big deal out of how roomy it is, but nobody seems to care that it has nearly HALF the luggage capacity of a C5 or C6. This is odd. I pack the hell out of my trunk, and so did my buddy that drove his C6 everywhere. That trunk space (front/rear) is disgusting, IMO. The C7 wasn't great either compared to C5/C6, so this is just another downward trend.

It's now using brake by wire. After seeing how well (not well) brake by wire worked in my friends Alfa, this is another big unknown that nobody is talking about. In his Alfa, we had no indication through the pedal regarding brake fade or slipper conditions. GM has 3 modes for different pedal feedback (normal, sport, race), but nothing has been said about how it will address slippery surfaces or brake fade. Will be interesting to see how they treated this.

What performance numbers have been published per some articles by some of sites that quoted GM are a bit confusing. For the C8 with the Z51 package, numerous sites have posted 1.03g-1.05g in the skidpad. For reference, the 2001 C5 ZO6 was rated at 1.05g and the base C7 Z51 was rated at a ridiculous 1.14g by GM. Magazines repeatedly tested it at 1.08g to 1.11g. Everyone is wrapped up in the 0-60, which shows how fast it yanks off the line and a good show of chassis grip...but the cornering numbers so far aren't terribly impressive compared to older Corvettes. We'll see what happens when the actual driving reviews come out, and hope they are false reports.

With all the fanfare and drooling over the car, it seems like some of the finer details are getting ignored.

Last edited by OverclockN' : Jul 23, 2019 at 10:50 PM.
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:38 PM   #169
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I don't know what to think of this car. The interior looks extremely bad imo with the single line buttons. Back looks much better than the outgoing model but front looks like it is confused.

Don't know much about cars but this one just doesn't do it for me.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2019, 07:11 AM   #170
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Going against the grain a bit here, but there are some things I don't care for on the C8.

It's the heaviest Vette ever made with a base model at about 3,600lbs. I realize it still moves, and it's the trend...but still.

It has terrible luggage capacity for a Corvette. Good for mid-engine, bad for a Corvette. There's a difference. I keep seeing media making a big deal out of how roomy it is, but nobody seems to care that it has nearly HALF the luggage capacity of a C5 or C6. This is odd. I pack the hell out of my trunk, and so did my buddy that drove his C6 everywhere. That trunk space (front/rear) is disgusting, IMO. The C7 wasn't great either compared to C5/C6, so this is just another downward trend.

It's now using brake by wire. After seeing how well (not well) brake by wire worked in my friends Alfa, this is another big unknown that nobody is talking about. In his Alfa, we had no indication through the pedal regarding brake fade or slipper conditions. GM has 3 modes for different pedal feedback (normal, sport, race), but nothing has been said about how it will address slippery surfaces or brake fade. Will be interesting to see how they treated this.

What performance numbers have been published per some articles by some of sites that quoted GM are a bit confusing. For the C8 with the Z51 package, numerous sites have posted 1.03g-1.05g in the skidpad. For reference, the 2001 C5 ZO6 was rated at 1.05g and the base C7 Z51 was rated at a ridiculous 1.14g by GM. Magazines repeatedly tested it at 1.08g to 1.11g. Everyone is wrapped up in the 0-60, which shows how fast it yanks off the line and a good show of chassis grip...but the cornering numbers so far aren't terribly impressive compared to older Corvettes. We'll see what happens when the actual driving reviews come out, and hope they are false reports.

With all the fanfare and drooling over the car, it seems like some of the finer details are getting ignored.
For the Corvette diehards, I'm sure that's a big deal. I've never owned a Corvette, never really been too interested in them, but I sure am now. It may not be the best Corvette ever, but I don't have experience with other Corvettes, so for me, the potential first time Corvette buyer, it may be the best car I've ever driven, even if it's not the best Corvette.

We'll see, I'm probably 2-3 years minimum from being able to buy one.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 08:28 AM   #171
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
For the Corvette diehards, I'm sure that's a big deal. I've never owned a Corvette, never really been too interested in them, but I sure am now. It may not be the best Corvette ever, but I don't have experience with other Corvettes, so for me, the potential first time Corvette buyer, it may be the best car I've ever driven, even if it's not the best Corvette.

We'll see, I'm probably 2-3 years minimum from being able to buy one.
It'll be an outstanding car either way. It's just some perspective from the Corvette side of things. There are some.trends that I don't agree with, but it hardly matters if the car continues to sell.

The two big things to me are the brake by wire system and the performance numbers.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 08:50 AM   #172
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

I'm looking forward to full, detailed technical reviews of this car.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 09:00 PM   #173
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old Jul 25, 2019, 07:49 PM   #174
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

This is the first car I can legitimately find my self wanting to have as a weekend / fun car in a few years and get a beater for daily instead of having a nicer daily. (working at a dealer I could honestly probably get this car through auction in 2023~ for 40k.). Which just blows my mind. Hell there are C7s out there I can get for 30k already.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2019, 01:41 AM   #175
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Dude I’ve been looking at C6 Z06s for $17k w/ 60k miles ..

They’re cheap and a LOT of car..
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:32 AM   #176
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Dude I’ve been looking at C6 Z06s for $17k w/ 60k miles ..

They’re cheap and a LOT of car..
You mean C5Z. You can find one for $17k if you look hard enough.

The C6Z is going for about $32k+ with medium mileage, and you can find $28k+ cars with high mileage. They've been hovering around $32-$36k for medium mileage cars for a few years.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:08 AM   #177
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
You mean C5Z. You can find one for $17k if you look hard enough.

The C6Z is going for about $32k+ with medium mileage, and you can find $28k+ cars with high mileage. They've been hovering around $32-$36k for medium mileage cars for a few years.
I typo'd sorry.

I was looking at a 2001 Z06 for $14k w/ 80k miles a few weeks ago. I like to punish myself by looking at far superior vehicles.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:45 AM   #178
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
I typo'd sorry.

I was looking at a 2001 Z06 for $14k w/ 80k miles a few weeks ago. I like to punish myself by looking at far superior vehicles.
Just depends on what the buyer is looking for. For a daily driver in the Midwest for example, I'd say it's significantly less superior than a WRX. If you're looking for a weekend toy that's decent on the track, it's a pretty good buy IMO.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:49 AM   #179
Nunz
RIP Roxen

it would be a summer/weekend toy and the WRX would stay a daily
Old Jul 29, 2019, 07:08 AM   #180
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands

nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

2020 production run is almost sold out apparently
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote