Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Jul 14, 2019, 09:30 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
I've never liked the way Corvettes looked to be honest. Maybe it's just because everyone has them and I see 15 a week, I don't know. The old old ones are nice, but anything from about '80 on is just meh to me.
That's because you have no taste!
Old Jul 14, 2019, 09:52 PM   #92
Roadhog_
Sausages

Roadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
I've never liked the way Corvettes looked to be honest. Maybe it's just because everyone has them and I see 15 a week, I don't know. The old old ones are nice, but anything from about '80 on is just meh to me.
It's like 15 a DAY out here. They are everywhere. I used to like them, till you really look deeper. I guess they are ok for the weekend toy.

Then again, for what a Zr1 costs, I would just spend a bit more and get a GT3 RS.
Roadhog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:05 AM   #93
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Just a few days away. Pricing discussions have started up again around the net. I'm interested as well as to what the pricing model will look like. I'm going to be shocked if this will exist (with standard options) under $90k (not talking base, no options MSRP pricing that no car is ever delivered or sold at).
Mahjik is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:28 AM   #94
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Just a few days away. Pricing discussions have started up again around the net. I'm interested as well as to what the pricing model will look like. I'm going to be shocked if this will exist (with standard options) under $90k (not talking base, no options MSRP pricing that no car is ever delivered or sold at).
I am also curious of pricing.
If this is just next gen corvette but mid engine instead of front engine, then it shouldn't be much different than your typical corvette pricing.

If this mid engine layout all of a sudden puts it in a different sports car class altogether....it might get more pricey as a result.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:42 AM   #95
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Well, if you look at current (true) mid-engine sports cars in the market today:

* Alfa Romeo 4C - MSRP 67k but about 240hp
* BMW i8 - MSRP around $150k, but it's a hybrid
* McLaren's - MSRP $170k and up.
* Audi R8 - MSRP $170k
* Ferrari - Way up there..

Seems unlikely to have a ~500hp mid-engine sports car around $70k. Not impossible, but it would make you wonder what is skimped on...
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:08 AM   #96
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

I predict $80k ballpark for the starting MSRP on base model. Would love to be wrong...
Old Jul 17, 2019, 07:41 PM   #97
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old Jul 17, 2019, 09:16 PM   #98
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Man, those renders...it's seriously ugly. And it looks cheap/low budget. I really hope it looks better somehow in the reveal or at least in person. After watching that video, I retract my $80k statement and back it up to $65k up to $70k base price.

The rear is awful, the steering wheel nauseating, and the rest of the car doesn't seem to make up for it. I'm sure it'll perform, but it's not fun to look at.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:36 PM   #99
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

they couldnt have made an uglier wheel

who the **** thought these were good designs .. it cant be the same guys who developed the C7
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2019, 08:49 AM   #100
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

For me, have of me likes what I see, and half of me does not. I'm more concerned about suspension components and pricing. If they stick leaf springs on this thing, I'm going to scream...
Old Jul 18, 2019, 05:10 PM   #101
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/07/18/...5CJ39MY6KLY9-Y

I'm guessing this is in the video above, but haven't watched. That row of switches on the center console looks really silly, and think it's funny to see the radio interface on the Chevy halo car is the same as any base model with the touch screen head unit...
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2019, 08:08 PM   #102
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands

nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Esquire leaked the car but it's gone now. It looked pretty

Edit

https://www.motor1.com/photo/4233047...olet-corvette/
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2019, 08:57 PM   #103
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrs421 View Post
Esquire leaked the car but it's gone now. It looked pretty

Edit

https://www.motor1.com/photo/4233047...olet-corvette/

Looks better than the video above, but we'll know in an hour for sure.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:03 PM   #104
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

After watching the launch presentation I think it's beautiful.

Also...starts at under $60k.

Nice.
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:08 PM   #105
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Yeah, I was waiting for them to announce the price at close to $80k. Less than $60k was a total shock.

The exterior is OK. It doesn't get me excited, but I'm not repulsed either. It's just...status quo. I guess. That rear end is crap though. The interior is the wild card. It's absolutely dreadfully awful. I'll have to see it in person.

That performance for less than $60k is mind boggling. I'm interested...
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:12 PM   #106
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Yeah, I was waiting for them to announce the price at close to $80k. Less than $60k was a total shock.

The exterior is OK. It doesn't get me excited, but I'm not repulsed either. It's just...status quo. I guess. That rear end is crap though. The interior is the wild card. It's absolutely dreadfully awful. I'll have to see it in person.

That performance for less than $60k is mind boggling. I'm interested...
I am curious about base (non-z51) performance, but looking at the configurator it still looks pretty sweet even in the most basic setup.

Since the only difference is 5hp/5tq with the performance exhaust I am guessing the main difference (and why there was a disclaimer on the 0-60 time) is the limited slip diff and/or better tires?

Last edited by Clockwork : Jul 18, 2019 at 11:36 PM.
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2019, 07:22 AM   #107
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

Love that the promo vid has golf clubs in the back.
GM didn't forget their core customer(old American men)
They have me, now I have to convince the wife....
Old Jul 19, 2019, 07:33 AM   #108
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I kind of love it.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 07:52 AM   #109
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

I don't hate it, but still waiting for more details. I'm not of fan of the cabin and how they did the A/C controls through...
Old Jul 19, 2019, 08:10 AM   #110
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

The rear end and top view show everything I hate about the exterior. I really like the front and side profiles, but the rear end is just .. an abomination; like the interior.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2019, 08:11 AM   #111
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I think the leaked photos made the rear end look worse than it is, maybe the skew messed it up. The rotating shots in the video just look fantastic. That rear end is a huge step up from the C7 rear end, which is kind of awful now.

This photo in particular, which seems to crop out everything, and has a slight skew to it, makes the rear end look worse than it is:

Old Jul 19, 2019, 08:30 AM   #112
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Anyone know a better online gif creator that can pull from a YT video? This one worked but it's a little choppy.

If I had any complaints about the rear it may be the wing, but the overall side profile of the body is

Maybe I'm just getting to that mid-life crisis age, but this is the first Corvette I'd actually be interested in...
Old Jul 19, 2019, 08:37 AM   #113
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Not too shabby.

The rear still sucks though, doesn't look as cheap as the leaked pic though (I guess when everything is taken as a whole that plays a part).

I did like the C7 as the prior models I felt seemed just like a cheap American sports cars (which it more or less was). C7 I felt like was actually on a visual par with the competition in terms of appeal. The C8 seems to take it a step further. Its not a ground breaking design (just prototypical mid engine sports car shape) but it looks like its executed well. Makes the vette look like its now competing one tier higher.

Don't really like the interior though....(That bit long strip of buttons down the center and the tablet screen sticking out the side of the instrument binnacle...ugh)

I wouldn't mind having one of these

But 2 pedals though...
Old Jul 19, 2019, 08:57 AM   #114
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Not too shabby.

But 2 pedals though...
Nothing wrong with a DCT.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2019, 09:04 AM   #115
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

I love the button strip. Would be wasted space otherwise. Real buttons give comfort to us old guys.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 09:19 AM   #116
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
Nothing wrong with a DCT.
Nothing wrong, just...I want 3 pedals

And I don't give a crap about lap times, shift times, etc. that autos can do better/faster than manuals.
To me having 3 pedals and a stick shift iust makes the car more fun.

I find my Scion IM is more fun to drive than the BMW X1 because it has a manual.
The X1 is faster, handles better and has better steering feel and heft but its an automatic. Its fun in its own way but all it is is press gas to go, and as responsive as the paddles are I don't like how paddle shifting feels. Its just "click" <shift> and to me that's it?
The Scion in comparison handles well, but has a bit more roll, the steering is a lot lighter, and its a lot slower going all out and struggles on hills (its pretty peppy though, so city driving actually doesnt feel slow), but I get to row through the gears and that makes it fun.

Last edited by Sasquach : Jul 19, 2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 09:24 AM   #117
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Looking at a lot of the performance numbers, I'm getting a bit confused. At first glance it was impressive, but as the numbers roll out...it's less so. They are quoting a skidpad of 1.03-1.05g with the Z51 package. Hell, my 2001 ZO6 did it in 1.05g back in 01' on ancient F1 Supercar tires. The C7 Z51 was quoted at 1.15g, and a lot of mags did run it at 1.08g+.

Too early to know for sure, of course. Just interesting. It's heavy too. GM is quoting a dry weight of 3366lbs, so the speculation is a curb weight approaching 3600lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGRUNT View Post
I love the button strip. Would be wasted space otherwise. Real buttons give comfort to us old guys.
Nobody is denying that there should be buttons. They just shouldn't be in the car like that. It's a terrible design.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 09:30 AM   #118
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

The price is way lower than I expected. Not that I'm going to buy one, but so far I think it looks fantastic.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2019, 09:46 AM   #119
Elysian
SCAATSJW

My wife is not against me getting one some day
Old Jul 19, 2019, 09:53 AM   #120
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
My wife is not against me getting one some day
Lucky! Mine says, "It's not practical".
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote