Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:15 AM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

BTW, I do understand that you are a diehard front engine, big block, Corvette fan. So anything with the Covette name that doesn't fit that mold is not going to be instantly liked. I'm not sure I'll like it, but to your question, I'm interested as the mid-engine platform is fantastic for performance driving.

Having said that, I'm not sure what I'll do.. I may not even bother with it, and just pick up a slightly used Alfa 4C later this year (or buy another race car like a Radical SR3, but that has other concerns). I'm debating on whether I would prefer another track toy and keep the Jaguar or get rid of the Jaguar and get something that would do dual purpose well.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:01 PM   #62
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

That's the biggest part of it, the big change to something that's worked so well since it's inception. It's not just that, but the bigger concern is what it will do for price. A new Corvette even now is beyond what I'm willing to spend, but buying them a little older to play with has been fun. I'd like to keep doing that, an many others I'm sure. So what will this mean for new car pricing, availability, and the used market? Some scary stuff to fans of the traditional platform. Plus, they already difficult enough to work on.

Do you still have the S2000? So bizarre. I've never heard any mention of the 4C anywhere in anything performance/track related. I keep looking at SR3's. They pop up in Racing junk constantly. Love those things, but I'm not ready for one yet.

Last edited by OverclockN' : Apr 12, 2019 at 12:14 PM.
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:36 PM   #63
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Do you still have the S2000? So bizarre. I've never heard any mention of the 4C anywhere in anything performance/track related. I keep looking at SR3's. They pop up in Racing junk constantly. Love those things, but I'm not ready for one yet.
Yep, the S2000 is getting a new race motor. It have the motor now, just waiting for some parts to return to get it installed. I'm not planning on replacing it. Anything I get would be in addition.

As for the Alfa, just look at the original reviews from Chris Harris and such talking about it's handling and track performance. It's also full manual steering which really gives that race car feel. However, it's not really designed be street compliant like the Vette. The seats are full race seats so not much adjustability. Creature comforts don't really exist. The engine is right behind your head and it's loud. All the things I love.

Keep in mind, with SR3's, those engines need to be rebuilt every 100-150 hours of track use. If actual racing (wheel to wheel), the racers seems to rebuild them about every 50-60 hours. This is what is keeping me from buying one today. I'll be doing personal instruction for an owner at the end of the month so that may change my mind. Time will tell.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:56 PM   #64
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Keep in mind, with SR3's, those engines need to be rebuilt every 100-150 hours of track use. If actual racing (wheel to wheel), the racers seems to rebuild them about every 50-60 hours. This is what is keeping me from buying one today. I'll be doing personal instruction for an owner at the end of the month so that may change my mind. Time will tell.
Yep, that's exactly what I meant by not ready for one right now. There is the capability o the machine on track, but the rest is the maintenance. I spent quite a bit of time on various Radical message boards to see what the reliability was like and what the guys were doing for regular and preventative maintenance. Definitely beyond the scope of what I'd be willing to tackle right now.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 01:42 PM   #65
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
That's the biggest part of it, the big change to something that's worked so well since it's inception. It's not just that, but the bigger concern is what it will do for price. A new Corvette even now is beyond what I'm willing to spend, but buying them a little older to play with has been fun. I'd like to keep doing that, an many others I'm sure. So what will this mean for new car pricing, availability, and the used market? Some scary stuff to fans of the traditional platform. Plus, they already difficult enough to work on.

Its been announced that the final C7 vette is going to be auctioned off at Barrett Jackson.

so it appears the C8 is a full on mid engine replacement.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2019, 09:36 PM   #66
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old Jun 12, 2019, 09:19 AM   #67
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

As it gets closer to the reveal, more "guess" renders are hitting the internet:

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019...ky-soundtrack/
Old Jun 27, 2019, 09:08 PM   #68
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:29 AM   #69
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

So that thing has a turbo V6?

EDIT: Flat crank V8's have a peculiar sound...
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:55 AM   #70
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGoa View Post
So that thing has a turbo V6?

EDIT: Flat crank V8's have a peculiar sound...
We don't know yet... We'll find out next month...
Old Jun 28, 2019, 06:46 PM   #71
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Turbo V6? What makes you say that?

It sounds like every other Corvette with a V8 made in the past 12 years. The only one that sounded significantly different was the one on the track with the big wing and rear splitter. Which is the most interesting detail about that video, and clearly not the same as every other C8 shown.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 07:49 PM   #72
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

I'd have to beleive the tone is also masked, just like the car, and/or the exhaust is not yet even tuned.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2019, 01:08 AM   #73
AdamK47
Radeon R700

AdamK47 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAdamK47 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
We don't know yet... We'll find out next month...
It will have the LT2. Same 6.2L as the LT1. Subtle changes.
AdamK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2019, 08:27 AM   #74
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamK47 View Post
It will have the LT2. Same 6.2L as the LT1. Subtle changes.
Nothing officially been announced. That is assumed, yes.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 09:12 AM   #75
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
First noted by Corvette Blogger, the National Corvette Museum opened an eBay auction last week for two tickets to the C8 reveal, starting off at $100. The package also includes the Friday "Expo” hosted by the museum itself, which offers guests the change to see the car up close, network with other Corvette fans, and speak to key members of the C8 development team.

By the end of the week, that $100 climbed to $14,001 and the winning bid came in at $15,200. That’s a lot of dough for a two-day event, no matter how big a deal it is. Because the museum is a non-profit organization, whoever placed the winning bid will be able to write-off most of the amount as a donation to a charity. However, the final bid amount does not include airfare to and from California, but a two-night hotel stay is part of the package. Perhaps because these two tickets went for so much money was reason enough to prompt the Corvette Museum to place another pair up for grabs on eBay once again.
https://carbuzz.com/news/somebody-pa...reveal-tickets
Old Jul 5, 2019, 06:59 PM   #76
AdamK47
Radeon R700

AdamK47 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAdamK47 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Nothing officially been announced. That is assumed, yes.
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/07/...exclusive/amp/
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:45 PM   #77
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Hmm, 12 hours ago and yet it's still not official from GM. Yes, it's expected, but still not confirmed... We'll know for sure the details on the 18th.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 07:53 AM   #78
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Supposed rear shot of the C8. I can say, if it really does look like that, I'll wait for the aftermarket kits to show up before I consider one regardless of the performance.

I also saw this comment:

Just my opinion. I’ve seen two of the cars and I’m personally not impressed. They’re literally trying to create a 458 with a Camaros. Performance wise it’s actually fairly impressive but the C7 will definitely still be selling very well after the C8 release.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:43 AM   #79
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

yeah I dunno wtf happened to the Corvette C8 butt.

The C7 looked more like a modern vette butt, the C8 is looking like a cheaper camaro butt.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2019, 09:40 PM   #80
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands

nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Looks dated already.
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2019, 09:57 PM   #81
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

I don't think the above photo looks dated, but the rear end is especially terrible. They are quickly removing all ties to any Corvette heritage in this redesign. The rear looks nothing like any of the other cars (especially with the awful square tips), and the rest of the redesign is changing the body so much it naturally is very different as well.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 07:48 AM   #82
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Official reveal is in 8 days... I have a feeling Corvette enthusiast will not be happy with what they see.
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:33 AM   #83
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

I'm still curious to see how it looks overall. However, if that rear spy photo is real, it's going to take a lot for me to overcome how that area of it looks.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 08:58 PM   #84
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

That rear end seems to look like the leaked photo...
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:35 AM   #85
AdamK47
Radeon R700

A change in design this significant is always going to cause controversy on a persons basic belief of the unfamiliar looking strange to them. Fortunately the mass public doesn't dictate car designs. Actual car designers will deviate from the previous mold for what's best for the design.

People will become familiar with it and like it over time. The cycle will repeat with whatever changes occur in the next generation.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:49 AM   #86
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

oh god that looks awful
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2019, 09:21 AM   #87
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
A change in design this significant is always going to cause controversy on a persons basic belief of the unfamiliar looking strange to them.
That's part of the problem. The look is not all that unfamiliar, just look at the rear of a current Camaro.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:08 AM   #88
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
That's part of the problem. The look is not all that unfamiliar, just look at the rear of a current Camaro.
And that itself is a problem. People who buy a Vette don't want a Camaro.

jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2019, 03:39 PM   #89
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

I'm not saying I agree, but the memes are starting across the interweb....
Old Jul 13, 2019, 11:11 PM   #90
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I've never liked the way Corvettes looked to be honest. Maybe it's just because everyone has them and I see 15 a week, I don't know. The old old ones are nice, but anything from about '80 on is just meh to me.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote