Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:08 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

If you’re not skipping gears you’re wrong I basically never touch 5th unless I’m sending it.

I can count the amount of times I’ve touched 5th probably on two hands.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2018, 08:47 PM   #32
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
If you’re not skipping gears you’re wrong I basically never touch 5th unless I’m sending it.

I can count the amount of times I’ve touched 5th probably on two hands.

I've only recently started playing with skipping gears. I've always used every single one since I began driving manuals when I was 18.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 08:49 PM   #33
Roadhog_
Sausages

Roadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

8000 rpm's in first then straight to 6th.
Roadhog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 16, 2018, 08:03 AM   #34
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

0-160 just in 5th
Skip to 1:30
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:33 AM   #35
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

If you are skipping gears, you will be losing acceleration. It's not a bad thing per say which just normally driving, just don't do it when you need to get away from something.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:37 PM   #36
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

What If The Mid-Engine Corvette Costs $170,000?

https://jalopnik.com/what-if-the-mid...000-1830306168

snip:
Quote:
Every time we write about the mid-engine 2020 Corvette—and it’s been a lot lately—its price tag inevitably comes up. We at Jalopnik, like others, have speculated that this powerful and advanced sports car will carry a much heftier price tag than the current front-engine Corvette, which starts around $55,000 and goes all the way up to the $130,000-ish ZR1. Then come the emails.

“This is America’s sports car, sir,” these aggrieved emailers write. “There is no way it will have a starting price tag over $100,000. There is no way GM would abandon the Corvette faithful.”

Well, here’s the thing—what if it is that expensive? What happens to the Corvette market then?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 09:58 PM   #37
AdamK47
Radeon R700

AdamK47 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAdamK47 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I can see $170K for a top trim level ZR1. Around 100K for the Z06 and 65ishK for the base model.

My '16 Z06 had an MSRP of $110K. A fully loaded C8 Z06 may be at the 130K to 150K level.
AdamK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2018, 09:44 PM   #38
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamK47 View Post
I can see $170K for a top trim level ZR1. Around 100K for the Z06 and 65ishK for the base model.

My '16 Z06 had an MSRP of $110K. A fully loaded C8 Z06 may be at the 130K to 150K level.
There is no way the base would be $65k if it were also a mid-engine model. The entire price range of the car would have to move up significantly.

There has been talk of a mid-engine product being released alongside the usual front engine layout model for a period of time. I wouldn't be surprised if THAT followed a similar price structure to what we have now. But a mid-engine model... no chance.

The Corvette has succeeded this long because it has been reasonably affordable for the average guy that's been working his career for a while. Moving the car up to $90k+ puts it into that weird Viper market. You know, the car people didn't buy and has been cancelled twice now.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 09:25 AM   #39
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
There is no way the base would be $65k if it were also a mid-engine model. The entire price range of the car would have to move up significantly.

There has been talk of a mid-engine product being released alongside the usual front engine layout model for a period of time. I wouldn't be surprised if THAT followed a similar price structure to what we have now. But a mid-engine model... no chance.

The Corvette has succeeded this long because it has been reasonably affordable for the average guy that's been working his career for a while. Moving the car up to $90k+ puts it into that weird Viper market. You know, the car people didn't buy and has been cancelled twice now.
I think having 2 separate model lines works in this case (front engine traditiona vette, separate mid engine vette), but having both being called corvette? not so sure about that.... Would it be better to have the mid engine Vette actually be called something else? I mean if they gave it to Cadillac for example that would work out pretty well.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:39 AM   #40
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
I think having 2 separate model lines works in this case (front engine traditiona vette, separate mid engine vette), but having both being called corvette? not so sure about that.... Would it be better to have the mid engine Vette actually be called something else? I mean if they gave it to Cadillac for example that would work out pretty well.
I've personally been thinking this whole mid-engine deal was going to be a separate Halo car in some way. Isolated from the traditional front engine Corvette layout. For example, a Cadillac or Chevy branded halo car, or even a whole new Vette halo thing that's separate from their other line. Of course, that wouldn't make much sense, since that's been the point of the ZR1.

The reports are starting to look more and more like that's not the case. There's overwheling evidence and reports otherwise. I can see them doing two Vette models at once for a short while as they make the transition to mid-engine, make sure it succeeds in the market, and get people warmed up to the idea once they see it doing well in races and marketing.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 07:59 PM   #41
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:34 AM   #42
train2win
Radeon Southern Islands

train2win is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGRUNT View Post
0-160 just in 5th
Skip to 1:30
That is the exact car I want in my garage in the next 3 years.
train2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2018, 05:16 AM   #43
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands

nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2018, 09:10 AM   #44
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Yea, I don't think that's going to happen. For a mid-engine 500hp Vette (I would wager the base model will be around 550 though unless they lighten it compared to the C7), there is no way they will start at $62k (which would be the $5k over the base C7).
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:12 PM   #45
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
For a mid-engine 500hp Vette (I would wager the base model will be around 550 though unless they lighten it compared to the C7), there is no way they will start at $62k
Yeah, there's no chance whatsoever of it being that cheap.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 05:57 PM   #46
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old Feb 25, 2019, 06:38 PM   #47
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Man they really need to do something about the ugly wrap...
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2019, 06:26 PM   #48
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

https://jalopnik.com/chevrolet-confi...8th-1833984547

Mark your calendars, July 18th they'll unveil it.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2019, 07:25 PM   #49
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

It's exciting because it's different and something new, but I still feel it's completely pointless and an utter waste of time and resources.

That aside, I'd hate to be the schmuck buying any of them for the first couple years. GM has an alarmingly consistent trend of screwing the Corvettes (especially their top models) up in a major way until fixing them a few years later. Sure, lots of manufacturers do that, but now that they've changed the entire layout/chassis and redesigned the whole thing? Oh boy.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 09:34 PM   #50
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

I could be one of them depending on what these will actually go for on pre-orders.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 09:41 PM   #51
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
I could be one of them depending on what these will actually go for on pre-orders.
If you decide to, best of luck to ya.

Why are you interested?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:02 PM   #52
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Why are you interested?
What's not to be interested in? If they really can pull off a mid-engine sports car with decent power for under a $100k, that would be something to be interested in.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:13 PM   #53
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
What's not to be interested in? If they really can pull off a mid-engine sports car with decent power for under a $100k, that would be something to be interested in.
Just curious what someone genuinely interested in the car sees appealing, anything specific.

Platform (front engine vs mid engine) has always been largely irrelevant to me, so it's something I don't really get. It just seems like a whole lot of development time and money for no reason. It's not like they were even close to the peak of front engine. Every couple years the Vette's were getting faster and faster, with no end in sight. Hell, two of the fastest track cars you can get (911 GT2 and Viper ACR) aren't mid-engine either. The 911 has the engine hanging off the ass and destroys everything.

So...curiosity.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:47 PM   #54
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Even Porsche has moved the 911 engine so for forward it's not really rear mounted any more. It's basically now mounted about the same location as the Ferrari's and Alfa 4C's. They had to do it as their race cars just couldn't compete with the mid-engine Ferrari (and their race version is even more forward than the road car which has caused some stir).

There is no question that mid-engine is a better platform. GM wouldn't spend the money to try to build a similar platform if there wasn't a performance benefit to it.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 08:02 AM   #55
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Even Porsche has moved the 911 engine so for forward it's not really rear mounted any more. It's basically now mounted about the same location as the Ferrari's and Alfa 4C's. They had to do it as their race cars just couldn't compete with the mid-engine Ferrari (and their race version is even more forward than the road car which has caused some stir).

There is no question that mid-engine is a better platform. GM wouldn't spend the money to try to build a similar platform if there wasn't a performance benefit to it.
I knew the race cars had a highly modified engine position (a lot of them do), but I thought the street car was still far enough back it wasn't really mid engine. I'll have to look into it.

Mid engine is unquestionably a better platform. There are still cars that handle phenomenally better than most of the mid engine competition. I don't think the Viper ACR can be considered mid engine, or the ZR1. The real shame is we'll never know how much faster it is. It's guaranteed to be another marginal step forward in performance, as every Corvette generation and subsequent model in each generation has been. There was no sign of slowing down in how fast a front engine platform was going to be. The handling characteristics are sure to change, and that's likely going to be the biggest difference.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 08:53 AM   #56
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

The Viper and Vette were increasing their lap times with power and aero, not handling. Sure they did have to make sure the car could handle the power, but the cornering speeds aren't the same as compared to mid-engine cars. Both the ACR and ZR1 have rear wings to help it stay on the track. You don't see OEM Ferrari's with wings to hold them on the track. They don't require them as much as the ACR and ZR1 due to being better balanced in the corners. Having driven just about all configurations in anger on a track, I can tell you that mid-engine cars are sublime in the corners. You don't require as much aero and you don't require as much tire.

As for the 911, I did exaggerate the current 911 a little, but they have moved the engine more forward with the 991. The upcoming 992 has moved the engine about 6.5 inches even more than the 991 did. Their mid-engine race 911 has shown the overall benefits of the mid-engine platform, but they won't change the consumer 911 that drastically as they want to try to keep it as true to heritage as possible (and they already have the Cayman). They have stated they will never make it truly mid-engine.

Yes, even the race Corvette is technically mid-engine, as they pushed the engine back behind the front axles.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 09:03 AM   #57
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Yeah, I knew about the Porsche and Vette engines being moved around for racing. I'm just talking strictly street cars, like the ACR/ZR1/GT2. I'm not sure if they moved the GT2 engine much, never looked into the details.

Good point on the aero, that makes all the difference in the world. It'll be interesting to see what it does, that's for sure. That...and the price.

I guess a good comparison would be the McLaren 720 and Huracan Performante. Both are incredibly fast in the corners and do it without significant aero added. The Huracan has a spoiler, but nothing like the ZR1, ACR, or GT2. The 720S also has much smaller tires.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 09:28 AM   #58
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

All the benefits the race cars have for mid-engine design are the same for street cars. It's just expensive to do so they have to determine if there is a true business justification for it. IMO, I think cars like the Alfa 4C has pushed GM into their direction. They were fine having cars like Ferrari and McLaren doing their thing at 3-4x their price. However, Alfa with the 4C, IMO brings a different dynamic to the US sports car market. I could see a real concern, especially if they come out with a Quadrifoglio version of the 4C which has been rumored.

I also believe GM doesn't want to continue to appear to be only a "North American" company. To be accepted more globally, they have to be more "with the times". I don't know if you remember when (the original) Top Gear did the Corvette and they complained about the dated suspension. If they want to be considered globally along side the manufacturers they are racing against, they have to up their game. This might do it.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:29 AM   #59
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
All the benefits the race cars have for mid-engine design are the same for street cars.
Of course, why wouldn't that be the case? We've already addressed this on the street cars above, when I didn't consider aero.

Interesting notes on the 4C. I've never heard or seen it discussed anywhere, ever. Where do you see it's making such a big impact that it's convincing manufacturers to do something different?

I remember the old Top Gear, and can see the point t that was being made. In the end, for me, it all comes back to end result. If the finished product is matching or beating the competition, it doesn't really matter if the existing layout or hardware is ancient...it's still on a competitive level. Sounds to me like the other guys need to step up their game if a Ruddy ol' Corvette on leaf springs is still remaining competitive. Just different takes on it. Of course, that's not what sells cars. Re-inventing the wheel every generation with fancy engineering and electronics is what sells cars.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:44 AM   #60
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

In the end, you can't just keep adding more power to make something faster and then using "tricks" like dropping out cylinders to try get decent gas mileage numbers for the books. You have to innovate or fall behind. People aren't into big heavy engines as they once were and people are more conscious about gas prices (and many states now have "gas guzzler" taxes). They can do more with a mid-engine platform without having to have a crap ton of engine power and without it costing a kidney. That's exactly what the 4C demonstrated.