Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Sep 10, 2018, 01:11 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Default 2020 Chevy Corvette Stingray

This could be the first Corvette I'd buy. It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I'm curious to see if they have two versions (standard front engine i.e. cheaper, or mid-engine only if it ever actually goes on sale). I have a feeling a mid-engine Corvette with the current horsepower would be a $200k car...

Last edited by Mahjik : Jul 21, 2019 at 08:47 AM.
Mahjik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:21 PM   #2
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
a mid-engine Corvette with the current horsepower would be a $200k car
Exactly, and it would be a damn shame. I'm absolutely opposed to this nonsense. I think they should just call it something else. It's as much a Corvette as the GTO was a GTO when it "came back".
Old Sep 11, 2018, 07:20 AM   #3
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

Agree that it should not be called a Corvette.

Corvair?
Monza?
GSGRUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 11, 2018, 02:46 PM   #4
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Well they did keep some semblance of the Corvette look. But Mid-engine totally breaks from every Corvette ever made. I say change the body style and give it another name. Two high performance offerings can't be bad unless they think it'll rob the Corvette of sales. They resisted giving the Camaros really hot engines for the same baseless reason. Now they sell both.
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2018, 02:57 PM   #5
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytprice View Post
Well they did keep some semblance of the Corvette look. But Mid-engine totally breaks from every Corvette ever made. I say change the body style and give it another name. Two high performance offerings can't be bad unless they think it'll rob the Corvette of sales. They resisted giving the Camaros really hot engines for the same baseless reason. Now they sell both.
Look, there are two types of buyers for the Corvette:

1. Gearheads who want every ounce of performance

2. Guys going through their midlife crisis who buy the base slushbox and only putter around town and to the golf course

Moving the engine won't hurt sales one bit.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2018, 02:58 PM   #6
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

I read or dreamt Corvette is going to be its own brand.
Perhaps they will keep front engine Stingray variants and introduce the Corvette Inmedio (mid engine)
GSGRUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2018, 04:18 PM   #7
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Camaros have had the same engines for a long time now, since the 90's. Other cars have had them also, like the GTO.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 04:19 PM   #8
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

[quote=GTwannabe;1338090988
Moving the engine won't hurt sales one bit.[/QUOTE]

Moving it...maybe not.

The COST of moving it... unquestionably. The best part of the Corvette and a lot of it's success was the cost of it's performance.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 04:24 PM   #9
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
2. Guys going through their midlife crisis who buy the base slushbox and only putter around town and to the golf course.
So? I don't just go to the golf course....

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2018, 04:49 PM   #10
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Camaros have had the same engines for a long time now, since the 90's. Other cars have had them also, like the GTO.
I know Camaros have had some powerful engines. Heck my car has a LS4. But I didn't think they put the top horsepower engines in the Camaros until recently. But then again I haven't kept up like I'm sure you have.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 05:47 PM   #11
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
I know Camaros have had some powerful engines. Heck my car has a LS4. But I didn't think they put the top horsepower engines in the Camaros until recently. But then again I haven't kept up like I'm sure you have.
Sometimes they were the same exact engines, other times they were close.

For example, back in 1998-2002 they both had the LS1.

The ZR1 and ZL1 cars were always similar but made slightly different power.

It's been a mixed bag really.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 09:07 AM   #12
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Moving it...maybe not.

The COST of moving it... unquestionably. The best part of the Corvette and a lot of it's success was the cost of it's performance.
Mid-engine is not inherently more expensive (IE, Lotus). Corvette's sales volume is what keeps it affordable vs. its competition.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2018, 09:21 AM   #13
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
Mid-engine is not inherently more expensive (IE, Lotus). Corvette's sales volume is what keeps it affordable vs. its competition.
Of course not, I didn't say it was. An MR2 is not expensive and a Lotus Elise is reasonable.

A complete mid-engine re-design of an eighth generation Corvette with a billion horsepower, new engine design, etc etc is not going to cost anywhere near the same as the Corvette that's been at $40-$55k for about 20 years with generational refreshes.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 03:47 PM   #14
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

who are they targeting with this mid engine vette?

-Traditional buyers MAY not want one cuz it is possibly out of the price range.
-Supercar buyers wont want one cuz its a Corvette (not rich snobbiness enough)
-Anti-Muricans wont want one cuz....they're anti-Murican
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2018, 04:12 PM   #15
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
who are they targeting with this mid engine vette?
That goes back to my initial premise/questions on *if* there will still be a normal front engine mount Vette and this would be a special version, or if this would be the standard platform....

If it's the former, it would be those customers who currently buy the ZR1. If it's the latter, we'll have to see the price of this thing...
Old Sep 18, 2018, 04:13 PM   #16
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old Sep 18, 2018, 04:46 PM   #17
kytprice
Autism Awareness

It will be a beautiful car and no doubt a powerhouse. But as others have said it boils down to price. Plus correct me if I'm wrong. But many times with a completely new design doesn't unforeseen flaws usually crop up in the first production year?
The Pontiac Fiero comes to mind. It had a problem with interior fire. When in fact people were riding the console causing the problem. GM fixed it but it was to late. The car never overcame the stigma.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 06:34 PM   #18
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
That goes back to my initial premise/questions on *if* there will still be a normal front engine mount Vette and this would be a special version, or if this would be the standard platform....

If it's the former, it would be those customers who currently buy the ZR1. If it's the latter, we'll have to see the price of this thing...
My buddies have been ribbing me about this new mid engine thing for a long time now. I kept saying for a while it only made sense to do it if they kept the front engine layout and ran it in tandem with this mid engine platform. Either as two separate types of Vettes, or the mid engine thing is a Vette halo or Cadillac halo car. I guess we'll see what happens, but I really can't see the price being less than $90,000 at the very least if it's mid engine only.

Quote:
But many times with a completely new design doesn't unforeseen flaws usually crop up in the first production year?
That's always been a common theme with a lot of cars even with normal redesigns, rather than something this big. Vette's have had problems with even slight redesigns over the years. They've had engine problems with the C5, C6, and, C7's.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 04:30 PM   #19
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Default 2020 Corvette pushed hard at The Ring!

MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2018, 04:41 PM   #20
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Wow, I hope that's not a Corvette. It sounds terrible. Is that a V6?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 04:48 PM   #21
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

The exhaust is pretty tame, especially if you're used to roaring V8's, but that's definitely not a V6 sound, lol
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Corsair MP510 480GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2018, 04:55 PM   #22
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight View Post
The exhaust is pretty tame, especially if you're used to roaring V8's, but that's definitely not a V6 sound, lol
I was joking. It's pathetically tame.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 04:59 PM   #23
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

Some shifts sounded like dual clutch auto and others were slow like std manual.

Would love to see an American, mid-engine, 400+ hp, dual clutch car for well under $100k. /deram
Old Oct 13, 2018, 08:33 PM   #24
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Definitely auto-manual. The areas where some shifts are happening you wouldn't be one handing it.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 08:57 PM   #25
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

That is the tamest sounding v8 I've heard in a long time. Assuming it's a V8
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:23 PM   #26
kytprice
Autism Awareness

Quote:
Definitely auto-manual. The areas where some shifts are happening you wouldn't be one handing it.
This! Is this what auto makers are all going to these days? I'd prefer purely one or the other. But I don't race either.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:29 PM   #27
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
This! Is this what auto makers are all going to these days? I'd prefer purely one or the other. But I don't race either.
Yes. The main reason is gearing. The auto-manual gear boxes are usually 8-speed which allows for torque basically anywhere but would be a pain in the arse to have a 8-speed manual. Typically the makers who also offer a manual alongside their auto-manuals do a 6-speed manual (which makes the acceleration times slower compared to the 8-speed auto-manual).

FWIW, I don't mind the auto-manual in my F-Type. However, I still have the S2000 race car which gives me my manual fix.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:05 AM   #28
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I hope it does sound like that. Really don't get why people want these obnoxiously loud engines.

Looks softly sprung, yet well composed. I like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:03 AM   #29
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Yes. The main reason is gearing. The auto-manual gear boxes are usually 8-speed which allows for torque basically anywhere but would be a pain in the arse to have a 8-speed manual. Typically the makers who also offer a manual alongside their auto-manuals do a 6-speed manual (which makes the acceleration times slower compared to the 8-speed auto-manual).

FWIW, I don't mind the auto-manual in my F-Type. However, I still have the S2000 race car which gives me my manual fix.
I would kill for a higher cruise gear in my WRX. 6 Speed manual is great, but it would be really great to not be rolling at 3k RPM while I'm on the highway doing 75-80 with traffic.

Auto-manual is the future, unless they come up with some new way to invent the wheel and make 8 gears not cumbersome to deal with entirely manual
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:54 AM   #30
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

I often skip gears on my 6 speed Z4, 1 to 3 or 2 to 4 if I'm in stop and go to 40mph traffic.

Hell, my dad had a 3 speed pickup and would rarely touch second.

More rumors, the 2020 Corvette will be a hybrid and AWD.