Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:24 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ಠ_ಠ

Avatar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAvatar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default New Toyota Supra

Also shares same platform with new BMW Z3/4.

Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:43 AM   #2
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I think it will look really good, I just hope it has some serious power to go along with the looks.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:47 AM   #3
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

I loved the late-90s Supra. Looking forward to its comeback.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 7, 2018, 02:04 PM   #4
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

Using the good old inline 6, just like the supra of old. Was worried they were just going to slap on the Supra name without any real connection to the old one.

Now just needs to be no more than 3500 lbs, around 400hp, and easily tuneable.

Good news is that the designers are saying they are in fact building this to be easy to tune, which means the new inline 6 should be strong enough for the 800whp range just like the old one.
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2018, 09:43 PM   #5
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

I love the idea of a Supra coming back, but I'm not convinced this car is going to be worthy of the name yet. Don't care at all for the look of it, and it has some very big shoes to fill.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 09:38 AM   #6
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar View Post
Also shares same platform with new BMW Z3/4.

well, THAT'S a sexy looking car

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 09:42 AM   #7
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Looks like total horseshit.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:03 AM   #8
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:38 AM   #9
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Old Mar 8, 2018, 02:07 PM   #10
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

that new GR concept looks nice. they made the formula race car nose thing less pronounced . which is a good thing, imo.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 04:17 PM   #11
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Yea, I'll believe it when I see it. While the racing organization that this car will participate in requires each car to be from an actual production car, they have allowed others to use a car that was never put into production (Honda HSV-010).
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:00 PM   #12
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

The thing is like 90% BMW (Like the 86 is 90% Subaru)

And its proportions may look a bit off due to the Concept FT-1 being longer than the production car.

I think the latest rumor was 400+ hp from the BMW I6, auto only, hardtop only (while the Z4 cousin is convertible/roadster only)

I believe its called the GR Supra because Toyota wants its performance cars to be under its somewhat offshoot racing division (What it means for TRD though is a mystery)
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2018, 01:42 AM   #13
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Why didn't Toyota just build it on the Lexus RC or LC frame? They have everything that car would ever need to be built on those frames and they are close to 500 hp. It's next exactly a slouch. I don't get why they subbed most of this out to BMW when they had internal, coupe, RWD options already.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2018, 01:54 AM   #14
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
Why didn't Toyota just build it on the Lexus RC or LC frame? They have everything that car would ever need to be built on those frames and they are close to 500 hp. It's next exactly a slouch. I don't get why they subbed most of this out to BMW when they had internal, coupe, RWD options already.
since the engine is bmw, wouldn't it be better that they also designed the chassis ?

now if Toyota got off their asses and built their own new generation straight 6 motor, then I would agree with you.
I honestly don't know what they are doing, but then again what do i know.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 07:55 AM   #15
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne3d View Post
since the engine is bmw, wouldn't it be better that they also designed the chassis ?

now if Toyota got off their asses and built their own new generation straight 6 motor, then I would agree with you.
I honestly don't know what they are doing, but then again what do i know.
IMO BMW I6's are some of the best around. Toyota basically stopped developing them after the 2JZ and 1FZ, BMW has continued to improve and innovate them.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:28 AM   #16
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
Well they partnered with the companies that helps makes them the cars, sharing tech and whatnot.

Toyota partnered with Mazda for tech. They got a Mazda2 based Yaris Sedan out of it (Toyota has a plethora of Yaris variants of their own outside of North America, they actually could have used themselves). Mazda doesn't sell a Mazda2 sedan in North America, except through Toyota.

Toyota partnered with Subaru to build the 86. Toyota funded the project (plus at the time they didn't really have their own sports car platform) and Subaru engineered it. Toyota also contributed D4S system. But then Toyota owns like 49% of Subaru so its really just resource leveraging on Toyota's part (since the 86/BRZ doesn't fit into Subaru's AWD ethos)

Toyota partnered with BMW for tech. Not sure what they actually contribute but it was said that this sports car was part of the collaboration. I guess being a Supra made the most sense since it was I6 based, and BMW always had an i6.

There's word of a MR2 revival and possibly the Celica returning.

I think the main thing with Toyota is that they didn't have any viable platforms for these sporting vehicles back when they were thought up. Only now are we seeing Toyota modular platforms for everything (hell only now we're seeing NEW Toyota everything)

Back then they only have their FWD passenger car platforms. Even Lexus didn't have anything special. The RC coupe was built on a hodgepodge Frankenstein platform consisting of 1/3 current GS, 1/3 current IS sedan, and 1/3 previous IS convertible. The LC is on their new RWD luxury car platform (also being used on the new LS)

Maybe now with their new platforms and all that, they would be able to build their own sports cars.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2018, 08:44 PM   #17
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
After a decade-and-a-half of waiting and years of taunting and teasing, we’re finally going to see the production version of the new Toyota Supra next week at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.
https://jalopnik.com/were-finally-go...the-1827377169
Old Jul 5, 2018, 09:14 PM   #18
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Hell yeah!

Guy on base has the cleanest MK4 Supra I’ve ever seen. It’s so beautiful. Should see it, he drives it on base and necks snap everywhere. Such a show stopper.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2018, 08:01 AM   #19
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

This is probably too little too late. It's just a Supra name on a Z3/Z4. Same class as a Stinger GT.

Can't help but think in an era where cars like a 2018 Mustang GT 10 speed auto runs 11's bone stock, and traps 120+ with minimal mods, the new "Supra" is just going to fall on the way side.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2018, 08:53 AM   #20
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
This is probably too little too late. It's just a Supra name on a Z3/Z4. Same class as a Stinger GT.

Can't help but think in an era where cars like a 2018 Mustang GT 10 speed auto runs 11's bone stock, and traps 120+ with minimal mods, the new "Supra" is just going to fall on the way side.
Yeah, there are too many insanely fast cars out now. Fast cars that can still turn with no problems, too. Ridiculously fast cars for not much money considering the performance.

I like the Supra and its history, but this Toyota/BMW thing is just too late to the game. what could it possibly being to the table over its competition at this point?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 09:12 AM   #21
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

They could go back to what the Japanese car makers did well in the past, which was focus on lightweight rather than all out power.

I doubt it will be a GTR competitor (in performance or price). I think it would fail if it tried to be so I'm just expecting something with decent power, but lightweight which will be around the price of the C7 Corvette (non-Z06/GrandSport). That would be a competitive place for it to be...
Old Jul 6, 2018, 09:22 AM   #22
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
They could go back to what the Japanese car makers did well in the past, which was focus on lightweight rather than all out power.

I doubt it will be a GTR competitor (in performance or price). I think it would fail if it tried to be so I'm just expecting something with decent power, but lightweight which will be around the price of the C7 Corvette (non-Z06/GrandSport). That would be a competitive place for it to be...
This is what I suspect as well, only without the notoriously tough 2JZ motor of the older Supra. Maybe it's another super tough motor. That would certainly set it apart a little from the Vette.

However, I agree more with your first statement. The market really needs more fun, lightweight sports cars that are affordable with not much power. They are fun as hell to toss around and actually drive.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:09 PM   #23
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Yeah, there are too many insanely fast cars out now. Fast cars that can still turn with no problems, too. Ridiculously fast cars for not much money considering the performance.

I like the Supra and its history, but this Toyota/BMW thing is just too late to the game. what could it possibly being to the table over its competition at this point?
I hadn't thought if it before, but you're right. Having a fast car isn't really a unique thing anymore. Sure, you can make cars even faster if you spend a ton of money building and modding, but your average car enthusiast can barely deal with a car that can go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds...
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2018, 05:44 PM   #24
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old Jan 11, 2019, 09:48 PM   #25
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:44 PM   #26
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Kind of invokes the same feeling I had about the styling of the original Supra. I don't like it, I don't hate it... I nothing it.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:55 AM   #27
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Bland and boring. Too little, too late, for too much money.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 06:29 AM   #28
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

It's hideous.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 06:42 AM   #29
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I like the side profile and the rear. The nose is a little weird .. sort of has that Mercedes feel where it seems almost pointy.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2019, 07:59 AM   #30
Elysian
SCAATSJW

It just looks like the mashed up the Lexus RC and the LFA into a smaller car and bulged out the middle of the bumper more. I hope the new Z4 looks a lot better than this thing...