Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Feb 4, 2017, 12:18 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Question Wifey's 2-in-1 No TOUCHSCREENAGE

As said in the other thread, I got wifey a Dell Inspiron i5378-2885GRY 13.3" 2-in-1 Laptop. We kind of like the lil bugger, but I can't get the touchscreen to work AT ALL.

I've gone into Device Mgr to make sure HID-compliant-touchscreen is there and enabled.

I've gone in Control Panel into both the Pen and Touch applet and the Tablet PC applet and everything seems to be on and normal there. Any attempt to calibrate the touchscreen was futile because there's no response. The little cross-hair seems to be nesting in the upper left of the screen.

Flipping the screen over into tablet or tent mode, which does cause the screen itself to properly re-orient, does nothing to enable the touchscreen.

I see Dell has an online diagnostics routine that includes one for touch-screen. I'll try that as soon as I can pry the thing outa wifey's hands.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 01:08 PM   #2
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Have you spoken with tech support?

If it is touch-screen, it should work out the box regardless of which mode it is in. You either have a defective unit or something else is going on. Support may be a good option at this point.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:35 PM   #3
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled with

Even without native OS touch support, the touchscreen would at least move the mouse around. Unless there is a button for function key that toggles the touch, then it's likely defective.
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 512GB Samsung 860 EVO | 4TB WDC Black | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 500GB SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 5, 2017, 03:45 AM   #4
atomBomb
Diamond Stealth 2mb VRAM

atomBomb is still being judged by the masses

Maybe needs to activate with fn+Fxx trickery or call dell tech support, I bet they will sort it out.. (atleast in Finland they are pretty handy)

pc-masterrace
atomBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:51 AM   #5
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Apparently it's dead hardware. I did all the online stuff and then called Dell. After an hour or so of dicking with it, including a BIOS flash, THEY ARE HAVING US SEND IT IN FOR REPAIR . They're paying for the shipping and all, but this is a 10-14 day turnaround (prolly if we're lucky).

Is it me, or should they just be replacing it? It's literally days old.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:33 AM   #6
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZL View Post
Apparently it's dead hardware. I did all the online stuff and then called Dell. After an hour or so of dicking with it, including a BIOS flash, THEY ARE HAVING US SEND IT IN FOR REPAIR . They're paying for the shipping and all, but this is a 10-14 day turnaround (prolly if we're lucky).

They should definitely be replacing it. Terrible customer service. I had a Nexus 4 that went bad after an update and I'd had it nearly 12 months. Google replaced it within 48 hours (had to return the defective unit otherwise they would have charged my card). They even sent me all the stuff to return the defective phone at their cost. That's proper customer service.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2017, 02:11 PM   #7
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

Crap wish I had seen this sooner, I nabbed one about the same time. There's a screen firmware update on Dell's site with zero data how to use the dumb thing. Did you do that too?

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2017, 06:48 PM   #8
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:

Pretty sure you could have just sent it back for refund and bought another one.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:56 PM   #9
JZL
Starship Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCI Blue View Post
Crap wish I had seen this sooner, I nabbed one about the same time. There's a screen firmware update on Dell's site with zero data how to use the dumb thing. Did you do that too?
As far as I know they just had me do the general BIOS flash using the pre-Windows boot-up app. They never said anything about a screen BIOS.

The Dell d00d called me about my email and their policy is to repair anything < 30 days old and replace anything > 30 days old, which seems completely bass-ackwards to me.

On the one hand, it's like I ended up paying full price for a refurb I won't get for over 10 days. On the other hand, I kind of like the idea that this particular unit will have been fixed and tested. I seriously considered just returning it via Amazon.

Oh yeah, the little foam brackets they sent to fit the thing into the box were not the right ones; they were probably for some tablet or little Chromebook or something, and I had to slice and dice those to get the thing into their own box.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:17 AM   #10
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

You should have went with the Surface... It just works...
Mahjik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2017, 07:18 PM   #11
JZL
Starship Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
You should have went with the Surface... It just works...
Maybe, but ffs it's Dell after all, not Rosewill . . . Probably my last, though.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 01:44 AM   #12
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

I felt dumb after the screen flash thing, although my symptoms were different from yours. I had severe ghost touching where the X and Windows icon are in Win10, I damn near took mine back too post BIOS update cause it was to the point I could do zero things if I had the touch portion of the screen enabled and I do use mine like a tablet at times. I saw the screen firmware thing, opened it, and first time closed it cause there are NO instructions how to use the dumb thing.

Come to find out clicking the gigantic START button worked. I had anticipating needing a firmware file or something of that nature, and the password if you happen to click on anything but the START button. Post flash the screen calmed the hell down and has been working like a champ since.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
Old Feb 12, 2017, 08:03 AM   #13
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Maybe, but ffs it's Dell after all, not Rosewill . . . Probably my last, though.
Dell's are not what they used to be 15 years ago. My company used to use them exclusively for laptops so I've been through several models.. They are quite frankly, mostly trash these days. I've had better luck with Toshiba laptops (but I absolutely love my current Microsoft Book).
Mahjik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2017, 02:46 PM   #14
JZL
Starship Trooper

If it's still borked when we get it back I'll probably return it via Amazon. We have til March 1st.

It looks to be pretty cool if it works.

I may've gotten the Sceptre x2 if I'd seen that post in time, but I was considering the MS stuff, too.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 07:23 PM   #15
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:

Depends on your service option and where you bought it from.

If you got the absolute basic service on the system, that's what is going to happen, even if it is pretty new. It is also a good CYA for companies.

That said, if it's literally just a few days old, tweet at them and find out if there is something that can be done. It's typically what I do for my mom's notebook (my old XPS 12).

Re: the foam brackets, they'll fit I had to do a replacement for another system that my dad had and it's the same type of stuff. You have to play around with it, slice and dice a bit, and it fits.

Good luck, hope they take care of it for you. But definitely look into tweeting @ their support for fast response
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2017, 06:17 PM   #16
JZL
Starship Trooper

They've replaced the LCD/touchscreen and it should be here tomorrow.

[crosses fingers]
Old Feb 15, 2017, 08:11 PM   #17
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

Looking forward to the resolution to this. I'm not sure if there's a way to tell whether or not that firmware patch has been applied.

bounty hunter
Quote:
Old Feb 18, 2017, 01:51 AM   #18
JZL
Starship Trooper

It's been back a couple days, working fine. Wifey seems to be pretty happy with it.

According to the dox, they replaced the screen itself and that was it.

Heh, one nice thing about the touchscreen is if I have to show her something, I can just touch it instead of, "Select the third one from the bottom. No, the third one, not the fourth one."
Old Feb 18, 2017, 11:19 PM   #19
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

One of the reasons why I didn't get my son a touchscreen. It is a ****ing nuisance. Glad you got it working though.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:21 AM   #20
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

Good to hear it's working!

bounty hunter
Quote: