Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:00 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
huskylord
King of Denmark

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Default Just realized I've never used the Fog Lights on my Tribeca

I drove up to cottage last Friday night in a horrible rain storm. Visibility was piss poor. I really did have trouble seeing the road. After it was done, relaxed and enjoyed the weekend. It didn't hit me until I was back home that the car has fog lights. LIke cruise control, I've never used them (but unlike cruise control, I didn't forget they were there).

I've used high beams when needed, and obviously never with oncoming traffic, but the fog lights was a bad brain fart on my part.

Oh well....now you know, and knowings half the battle.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:05 PM   #2
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

I never use the fog lights on any car I've ever owned. I can never see a difference with them on or off.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 01:30 PM   #3
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

It's always made things worse for me in fog. I've only used fog lights when I wasn't in fog (as the cars which I owned that have had them looked pretty cool with them on. ).
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 17, 2019, 01:30 PM   #4
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I use fog lights when it's foggy. Not only does it help me see better, it helps other people see me without resorting to my brights.

Now I see people using brights in fog all the damned time and it's infuriating. Brights don't help in fog.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2019, 01:42 PM   #5
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Regular lights and high beams in the fog don't do squat other than make the wall of fog easier to see. (so from dark and foggy and hard to see, to brightly lit fog and still hard to see)

Fogs lights do too but since they're down low they tend to make the ground a bit more visible further ahead and widens the visible area abit.

But they don't really shine a whole lot further. (few feet at most). They help a bit but I don't think they help as much as one would think.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2019, 02:52 PM   #6
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

The only thing I've ever found them useful in are pickups. They help me see stuff that's closer to the front of the vehicle at night.

Since they're basically at the same level as a sedan's headlights in a truck, they don't really help much in fog.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2019, 09:13 AM   #7
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Think fog lights only work on cars low to the ground. Otherwise they're simply lights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2019, 09:20 AM   #8
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
Think fog lights only work on cars low to the ground. Otherwise they're simply lights.
As long as they are "lower" than the headlights of the vehicle (and they are true fog lights), they can provide some benefit regardless of the vehicle type.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2019, 06:29 PM   #9
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I have my fog lights on with my lights all the time. It’s aesthetic. My front end looks way better with the fogs on.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2019, 04:28 PM   #10
eNforcer
Radeon Northern Islands

eNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird sings

Never had a significant fog here. But I turn them on when there is any sort of fog because I feel cool for pushing rare buttons.
eNforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2019, 07:27 PM   #11
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I use them if it's foggy, but they don't really do anything. I also don't like using them at night because it disables my turning aid lights thanks to some stupid law about having too many lights on at once.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2019, 08:21 PM   #12
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

The fogs on my G6 have projector lenses. They do light up a wide area of the ground close to vehicle. Not sure if they really help in actual fog but they do help at night.
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Corsair MP510 480GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:01 PM   #13
Roadhog_
Sausages

Roadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
I use them if it's foggy, but they don't really do anything. I also don't like using them at night because it disables my turning aid lights thanks to some stupid law about having too many lights on at once.
if this is on your GTI you can change the coding so you can run all the lights all the time.
Roadhog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:23 AM   #14
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight View Post
The fogs on my G6 have projector lenses. They do light up a wide area of the ground close to vehicle. Not sure if they really help in actual fog but they do help at night.
The fog lights really only light up the blind spot below the headlights projection.
It does help a bit in fog but not as much as you'd want it to, since it like the headlights does not cut through the fog.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:59 AM   #15
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

The fog lights on my '07 Silverado are great for fog, which I get quite a bit of in the valley between my house and the highway. Maybe it's how they are positioned on the grill, but they are much more useful than in any other car/truck I've owned.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2019, 11:17 AM   #16
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog_ View Post
if this is on your GTI you can change the coding so you can run all the lights all the time.
I know, I just don't have anything to do it with.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2019, 04:25 PM   #17
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

The point of fog lights is to see under the fog, closer to the ground.
But for this to work, the main lights have to be off, because they still illuminate
the fog 2 feet off the ground. But you cannot turn the main lights anymore
on cars, so fog lights and just for ascetics...
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2019, 03:57 PM   #18
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Console King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I use fog lights when it's foggy. Not only does it help me see better, it helps other people see me without resorting to my brights.

Now I see people using brights in fog all the damned time and it's infuriating. Brights don't help in fog.
Peoples are dumb...

Can't turn on their headlights at night but before that...

Oh you just leave the fogs on all the time... Now a lot of people think if you don't have fogs on, you are on high beams, so you get flashed or they refuse to click down...

Fog lights are aimed specifically for a few feet out and to the extreme sides. This is so that when in thick fog, people can see you without you being a blinding wall of light, it's also so you don't get blinded by light scatter/reflection, and so you can see the lines for the lanes, to keep you from driving off a cliff.

You should not run your fog lights at all times, the extra light in the near field, will blow your far field vision, so you can see more close up but a lot less far off, that's why high beams usually aim the light up and away. You should not stick blue or purple tinted bulbs or HIDs/LEDs/Etc into your fog light assemblies, because they have garbage penetration in low visibility situations. Yellow light will travel much further and not create anywhere as much glare in foggy, stormy and snowy conditions.

Heatware

Last edited by gamefoo21 : Sep 23, 2019 at 04:04 PM.
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote