Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Aug 1, 2016, 08:00 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Default will rice help

I have a Note5.

Went camping this weekend, turns out it was pouring rain for 48 hours straight. My tent collapsed during the night and my phone was inside. As far as I know, it wasn't in a puddle and when I woke up, it was wrapped in my sleeping bag with me. The bag was damp but no puddles or water breached. I had it on with the flashlight so I could see enough to get out of the door before I suffocated to death didn't sit in a puddle or anything inside the tent, and once I got out of the tent it was on a dry table in a house.

battery died yesterday morning but phone was operating fine as far as I could tell. phone was dead until I got home, in a dry car once again. when I got home around 7pm, I charged it up and was using it around 8pm. Started acting strange, like it's plugging itself in and out of the charger and giving me notifications about a power sharing feature even though it wasn't plugged in anymore. I dunno what's going on lol .. the phone sat in a dry car nearly the entire weekend and I didn't leave it sitting in water.

not sure if rice will help in this situation? I have it submerged in a pot now but I don't see how it could have any water inside the phone ..

I'm gonna be pissed if it's damaged. Shitty ass tent !!!!
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2016, 08:12 AM   #2
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Did you check for water in the USB port? I'd probably put it in a bag of rice overnight just to be safe.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2016, 08:22 AM   #3
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Did you check for water in the USB port? I'd probably put it in a bag of rice overnight just to be safe.
I did check, but it felt (and looked) completely dry ..

I have it in the rice now and I'll try it again later today. If it still isn't working properly I'll put it back in rice before I sleep ..
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:13 AM   #4
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

don't think the good ol rice trick will save your phone, but what do i know... it helped to save older phones, yep, but the newer ones are a lot trickier. At least that's what i gathered from my friends during the last few years when it comes to mobiles.

When everything else fails, maybe a "friend" could push it off a table (by accident of course) or something similar If you've got a insurance on stuff like that.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:58 AM   #5
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I do have insurance but I don't have the $100 it costs for a replacement.

EDIT:

about to boot her up .. pray 4 me

Last edited by Nunz : Aug 1, 2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 11:53 AM   #6
Nunz
RIP Roxen

nope .. still frreaking out. ((((((((

well I heated the phone up a bit by running a youtube video

It seems to have settled down and it's not acting strange anymore. however it changed settings on me some how.. I guess it was doing phantom **** while it bugged out. it changed my entire lock screen settings and basically turned off my screen locking 5 seconds after it turns off on its own ..

Last edited by Nunz : Aug 1, 2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 03:35 PM   #7
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwards

The only thing I can think of here if rice isn't helping is to either:

1. Take off back cover/battery/memory, and use a hair dryer and a data vac (a plus) to heat up the phone enough to vaporize and dissipate any remaining moisture.

2. Disassemble phone as much as possible and let air dry.

3. A combination of the two?
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 512GB Samsung 860 EVO | 4TB WDC Black | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 500GB SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2016, 03:46 PM   #8
Nunz
RIP Roxen

cant take back off. note5 has a glass back.

i need something to heat up the phone .. gonna try that. youtube videos keep ****ing buffering, idk why. just play the ****ing video like it always does. it started bugging out again ..

Last edited by Nunz : Aug 1, 2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 08:13 PM   #9
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I always put my phone in a Ziploc bag when I go camping just in case. Hope you manage to get the gremlins out, but it's not looking too good so far.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2016, 09:00 PM   #10
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

It kinda sounds like if there was water damage, whatever might ve gotten corroded is already corroded. Rice won't do anything at this point, not sure what heat is going to do either. Service center is your best bet now.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2016, 09:41 PM   #11
jimjobob
Radeon Sea Islands

jimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete stranger

jimjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2016, 06:24 AM   #12
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Phone is ****ed. It's damaged but seems like it only freaks out at certain battery percentages. When it's fully charged, it'll last until ~94%, then freaks out until roughly 70%, then lasts again until 50%. It's burning battery fast. I woke up last night and the phone had killed 42% battery overnight, was burning hot, and was freaking out.

Here's where I'm a scumbag, because I tried to be a nice guy and file a claim with the insurance that I pay MONTHLY for (with a $150 DEDUCTIBLE), but they're telling me I can't put another claim in because I put one in ~3 months ago. It's worth $200 trade-in value. I'm going to pray to the 7 seals of hell that it will pretend to be a working phone for at least 20 minutes at the Verizon store so I can trade it in and get an iPhone 6S. I need to change my luck. I've lost 2 phones and now damaged 1 phone within 5 months .. before this, in my entire 22 years, I'd never lost/damaged a phone besides 1 that was stolen while I was working. I take care of my things, and I've just been through an extremely rough patch of stupid **** happening that somehow ends up with something of mine being damaged.

Money is tight for me right now too which only makes this worse. Absolutely terrible timing. Again, I have no clue how water damaged the phone. It was in my sleeping bag with me, and when my tent collapsed, I had it on my lap. At no point was it in actual water. I'm thinking the moisture may have got it or something. The chick that was in my tent with me? Her iPhone is fine. BS!!!!

Either way, I need to change it up. Samsung phones and Android in general have just been awful to me this year. iPhone here I come

Last edited by Nunz : Aug 2, 2016 at 06:30 AM.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 06:44 AM   #13
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Have you tried ruling out any software issue by doing a factory reset?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Aug 2, 2016, 06:53 AM   #14
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I have not. Currently letting it charge from 0 to 100%, then I could give that a whirl if I have time before I head to the Verizon store.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 09:39 AM   #15
MyTMouse
Console Forumas Modamus

MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Only reason I got my phone working after going into the river was because I could take the entire thing apart (S3) and dry it overnight with a fan. All of these phones you can't take apart I don't know what you'd do other than leave in rice for days and I'm pretty sure that would only work in some cases
MyTMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:15 AM   #16
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

hate to say it, but it's done, pal. Only thing to "achieve" right now is getting even more pissed at it because it won't work as you want it to.

Still hope you get it sorted out with your insurance. Best of luck!

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2016, 12:39 PM   #17
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Welp, went to Verizon store and traded it in for $205, and bought an iphone 6S.

I was sweating bullets hoping the phone would stay stable until after I left the store LOL. Thankfully it did and yea .. got everything imported from Google and my social media/email connected already.

Feels kinda good to not have a gigantor phone anymore that I can put in my jean pocket and not feel uncomfortable sitting down.

Last iphone i had was a 4. lasted 3 weeks until it was stolen from my bag while I was working lol
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:32 AM   #18
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Welp, went to Verizon store and traded it in for $205, and bought an iphone 6S.

I was sweating bullets hoping the phone would stay stable until after I left the store LOL. Thankfully it did and yea .. got everything imported from Google and my social media/email connected already.

Feels kinda good to not have a gigantor phone anymore that I can put in my jean pocket and not feel uncomfortable sitting down.

Last iphone i had was a 4. lasted 3 weeks until it was stolen from my bag while I was working lol

I still have my old iPhone 4 kicking around in my car as my "iPod". My old Nexus 5 needs to be connecting to power at all times to work properly (the iPhone 4 was pretty shot in most ways too, but works fine if I don't actually interact with it).

And guess what, my ANCIENT Nokia 920 that has been used the most roughly? Still kicking and immaculate except for a few scratches on the back thanks to my mom.

Those Nokia guys sure knew how to make phones
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:41 AM   #19
ElBerryKM13
Radeon Evergreen

ElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

You can have an experience technician perform an ultra sonic cleaning to the motherboard you have a good chance to make it work fine after that. Or get ready to buy another phone because any phone exposed to water will have issues any way or another down the road.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:44 AM   #20
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBerryKM13 View Post
You can have an experience technician perform an ultra sonic cleaning to the motherboard you have a good chance to make it work fine after that. Or get ready to buy another phone because any phone exposed to water will have issues any way or another down the road.
He already bought another phone.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:59 AM   #21
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
That's what really annoys me. The Note5 never touched any water directly. I'm really thinking moisture just got through the USB port and eventually killed it since it was extremely humid and wet the entire weekend with torrential downpours.

It is what it is. I've had awful luck with Android/Samsung lately, 3 phones in 5 months. It's been so frustrating as someone who genuinely takes care of the things they own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
He already bought another phone.
Yep! I'm actually quite pleased with it. When I got it, it was at 63% battery. It took until 11am this morning for the phone to die. I was on it a lot yesterday too, setting it up, downloading apps, as well as transferring photos to the phone etc. Impressive.

Also, battery life is a lot better overnight. My Note5 had a tendency to burn a little bit of battery when it wasn't in use while I slept. It wasn't awful but it was a little noticeable. I woke up this morning and the iPhone had only lost 2%. Not bad. I really just want to say how nice it is to not have a phone that's massive anymore. I mean it was ****ing great and had it's advantages, but damn it's nice to be normal again.

I need a case for this thing ASAP!
Old Aug 3, 2016, 02:26 PM   #22
MyTMouse
Console Forumas Modamus

MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
Not sure how long down the road for me but it's been over 2 months since mine was completely submerged in water a few feet deep and water was pouring out when I got out of the water.

Absolutely been running like nothing ever happened (S3)
Old Aug 3, 2016, 02:49 PM   #23
ElBerryKM13
Radeon Evergreen

ElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTMouse View Post
Not sure how long down the road for me but it's been over 2 months since mine was completely submerged in water a few feet deep and water was pouring out when I got out of the water.

Absolutely been running like nothing ever happened (S3)
Some phones refuse to die while others by just looking it bad will have issues
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:37 PM   #24
MyTMouse
Console Forumas Modamus

Subscriber

Quote:
Some phones refuse to die while others by just looking it bad will have issues
Not that surprising considering how much stuff they cram into tiny cases while trying to keep costs as low as possible
Old Aug 8, 2016, 08:04 PM   #25
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

in conclusion: rice helps
Old Aug 9, 2016, 07:59 AM   #26
Zero
Sass hole

Related story, my mom dropped her phone in a couple feet of seawater while at the beach last week (Lumia 920). Picked it up, shook it off and kept using it like nothing happened. So far no issues.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Aug 11, 2016, 08:00 AM   #27
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Related story, my mom dropped her phone in a couple feet of seawater while at the beach last week (Lumia 920). Picked it up, shook it off and kept using it like nothing happened. So far no issues.
Did she wash/clean it with fresh water at least?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:01 PM   #28
Zero
Sass hole

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Aug 24, 2016, 04:49 AM   #29
MUTHA-Theresa
Dirty Peace Luvin Hippie

MUTHA-Theresa is not someone to be trifled withMUTHA-Theresa is not someone to be trifled withMUTHA-Theresa is not someone to be trifled withMUTHA-Theresa is not someone to be trifled withMUTHA-Theresa is not someone to be trifled withMUTHA-Theresa is not someone to be trifled withMUTHA-Theresa is not someone to be trifled with

I've had wicked good luck drying em out super fasst with my Window A/C, after dropping em in water. That cold air is crazy dry and i swear faster than rice.. Obviously take the battery out asap, and tap it out, and suck as much as possible out of your usb hole... and with its cover off just stick it into your Air conditioners cold output vent. The thin vanes on its front usually hold a phone between em no problem.. leave it running cold for a day or so until its all dryed out. It's worked twice for me and a couple times for my friends, when i was able to grab a hold of their phones and save em with it.

Now. Fly, you fools! - efin
MUTHA-Theresa is offline   Reply With Quote