Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:22 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default Is there any point in me keeping my Verizon unlimited?

I was grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited data years ago. I see T-Mobile has unlimited data, but do they throttle it after some minuscule amount like they used to?

Verizon upped their unlimited price $20 so now I'll be paying $120 for one phone, whereas T-Mobile is $95 for their unlimited. Is it real unlimited?

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:30 PM   #2
ElBerryKM13
Radeon Evergreen

ElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

It's really unlimited but service has holes in many areas compared to verizon. If you are thinking about switching to t-mobile its better to get a cheap prepaid tmobile phone/plan so you can test service where you use it the most. Bunch of people just transfer between companies without doing their homework and end up paying extra money on new phones/activation fees etc.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:59 PM   #3
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

$95 wtf.. I pay $50 for t-mobile unlimited... I thought plans are supposed to get cheaper

Anyways, there is a soft cap at 25GB with T-mobile. Some call it a throttle, but it is really a QOS de-prioritization of your data. If your area is not congested while you are over the cap, your speeds should remain the same.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 3, 2016, 08:57 AM   #4
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

I made the switch to T-mobile from Verzion about 2 years ago. It's had it's up and downs but if I had to do it all over again I would.

The service in my area is pretty good and if I don't get service on my personal cell, I usually get little to no signal on my work cell (verzion).

The first year I had it we went to the Canton to see the pro football HOF and I would lose data service about 10 miles outside of all 3 major cities we were near (Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland.)

This past summer we drove from Cincinnati to South Carolina and managed to keep LTE for the majority of the trip. So the infrastructure seems to be getting better.

Don't expect the same level of coverage, but if you're like me and sick of paying for Verizon it can be a nice change.

Jump on demand from Tmobile is also really nice if you like to try out the latest and greatest all the time, and don't buy your phones outright.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2016, 09:22 AM   #5
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I have a limited plan with Tmobile, 10gb per month. I've got two lines with unlimited everything except data for $100 a month. 10gb has been more than enough for me, I listen to podcasts and cloud based music, sometimes even stream whole NHL games. My music streaming doesn't cost towards my cap, and if I used Binge On then I'd be able to have unlimited video streaming. I don't stream enough video to want to use Binge On. YMMV on coverage, but Tmobile is always bragging about how their LTE is 5x faster than Verizon or something like that.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2016, 10:56 AM   #6
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

If you're in the cities and suburbs T-Mobile is fine...go outside the cities though and you will not get a data signal at all. (At-least near Pittsburgh that is). West Virginia = no T-Mobile coverage at all. I recently cancelled my T-Mobile personal phone line, just use my work phone now (Verizon).
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2016, 11:23 AM   #7
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
I was grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited data years ago. I see T-Mobile has unlimited data, but do they throttle it after some minuscule amount like they used to?

Verizon upped their unlimited price $20 so now I'll be paying $120 for one phone, whereas T-Mobile is $95 for their unlimited. Is it real unlimited?
I have the four 10GB per phone plan for $120. I upgraded my line to unlimited for $15 per month so my bill is $135 for 3 10GB lines and 1 unlimited.

Unlimited gives you 14GB of high speed tethering which is then downgraded to 2G speeds.
For phone use you have high speed unlimited but your priority is lowered after 25GB of usage. That doesn't mean slower speeds unless a tower is saturated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
If you're in the cities and suburbs T-Mobile is fine...go outside the cities though and you will not get a data signal at all. (At-least near Pittsburgh that is). West Virginia = no T-Mobile coverage at all. I recently cancelled my T-Mobile personal phone line, just use my work phone now (Verizon).
Within the past 3 months T-mobile lit up a ton of towers in Ohio. Coverage in Ohio is really good now and seems to match Verizon and ATT. I switch from Verizon to T-Mobile because I could get data speeds that are over 5 times faster in the place in Columbus Ohio that I hang out at.

Their coverage map is pretty accurate. I tried the network out for a month using a prepaid phone before I switched.

Last edited by guest : Mar 6, 2016 at 11:28 AM.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2016, 11:27 PM   #8
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
I have the four 10GB per phone plan for $120. I upgraded my line to unlimited for $15 per month so my bill is $135 for 3 10GB lines and 1 unlimited.

Unlimited gives you 14GB of high speed tethering which is then downgraded to 2G speeds.
For phone use you have high speed unlimited but your priority is lowered after 25GB of usage. That doesn't mean slower speeds unless a tower is saturated.

Within the past 3 months T-mobile lit up a ton of towers in Ohio. Coverage in Ohio is really good now and seems to match Verizon and ATT. I switch from Verizon to T-Mobile because I could get data speeds that are over 5 times faster in the place in Columbus Ohio that I hang out at.

Their coverage map is pretty accurate. I tried the network out for a month using a prepaid phone before I switched.
Try I-76 from Pittsburgh to Youngstown...Coverage is spotty at best.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2016, 05:58 PM   #9
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Try I-76 from Pittsburgh to Youngstown...Coverage is spotty at best.
Looks like a TV station is interfering with T-Mobile Band 12 deployment there.

Did you have a Band 12 700 MHz compatible phone?

http://ae2.spectrumgateway.com/t-mob...-spectrum.html

Quote:
name
WTAE-TV, Pittsburgh, PA
description
A protected TV channel 51 station. 700 MHz A block spectrum cannot be used inside the green circle. On 2/9/2017 WTAE-TV gave T-Mobile permission to use A block. The agreement is subject to FCC approval.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:44 AM   #10
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Really depends where you live. I have a verizon phone and a tmobile phone both s7es. Out here in ny. I've noticed that tmobile lte is actually faster in nyc. Verizon lte just isn't as fast as it use to be. The tmobile unlimited has no throttling, but the plans are really geared towards having more lines. While it might be 95 for 1 line unlimited. I have 5 lines unlimited everything for under 200 with tmobile. So go figure.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2016, 08:56 PM   #11
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwards

Why pay so much for unlimited data, unless there no wifi in the places you frequent? Spend a lot of time on the road?

Also, T-Mo can be spotty if you dont live in a city, I got pretty good coverage in the areas I frequent and surrounding area, but your best bet is to study the coverage maps to make sure you won't find yourself in a dead area too often.. Was a T-Mo customer from 2005-2015 before I switched to Fi.
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 512GB Samsung 860 EVO | 4TB WDC Black | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 500GB SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2016, 08:14 PM   #12
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

T-mobile was garbage till mid point last year. You hopped off right before it got a whole lot better.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2016, 07:31 AM   #13
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

T-Mobile has been constantly improving their network, they pretty much have to to stay alive.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2016, 11:11 AM   #14
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
T-mobile was garbage till mid point last year. You hopped off right before it got a whole lot better.
I pay less for more now, so I'm happy to have made the switch. Fi uses T-Mo & Sprint. My phone gets signal nearly everywhere, thanks to the Nexus 6P LTE band 12. Even in the basement of my house where no one else gets signal, I do

T-Mo: Paid $55/mo for 2GB and insurance.
Fi: Pay around $30/mo for the same, and better coverage due to the dual carriers.
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 512GB Samsung 860 EVO | 4TB WDC Black | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 500GB SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2016, 05:54 PM   #15
ATi VGA Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n View Post
Fi: Pay around $30/mo for the same, and better coverage due to the dual carriers.
I cannot imagine Sprint having better coverage than T-Mobile anywhere.