Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:59 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default Ugh..... (just a rant)

Have had an LG G3 for a bit now, decent phone. I think I may have rooted it early on for an app or two, but it was getting OTA updates and while stumproot said it was rooted, SuperSU didn't and neither did one of the recovery screens. Was running normal OTA of Marshmallow with no issues.

Anyways, Pokemon Go's latest update made the program not work on my device anymore. Tried to unroot and found out it may not have been at all? Had some time on my hands and decided to just go full stock. Had some pics and stuff, but I knew the google account would get the apps/contacts. Used LG's built in backup thing, copied the file to the desktop (as it said I should if I was resetting since that would wipe the phone).

Reset through the menu, didn't take too long, LG backup now says the file which saved successfully and normally is damaged and can't be used, and it can't be unpacked using a desktop. Perfect. Also, pokemon go still bitches about it being incompatible.

**** you.

Now I wasted a couple hours and just have to reinput all of my settings and delete all the Verizon bloat. I don't even know where to start with being angry and I am tired. Ugh.

I just wanted to be able to use the app that got me going for walks sometimes and somehow I ended up way worse off than it just stopping. **** everything about this. Bad software always pisses me off.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64

HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2016, 08:42 AM   #2
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

my G3 hard bricked a couple weeks ago, which saddens me greatly because I really liked the phone. (100% dead, PC can't even detect it as a modem, let alone a phone. Plugging it in yields nothing. )

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:35 PM   #3
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Should bought an iPhone

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 22, 2016, 01:34 AM   #4
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Definitely

Well for the record, I got it fixed. Using the factory defaults setting in the OS seems to reset the OS but not the root status, or something? I used the verizon update/repair app and tethered the phone for the update and even though it loaded up with the same look and bloat and version as the last one, the "status" in the software info section now says official.

I've got my former wallpapers and notification sounds on a hard drive and now that I'm back home, it's a bunch of configuration, but it should be simple enough to get back up to speed.

Still a dumb bunch of frustration
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64

HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

Old Sep 22, 2016, 01:51 AM   #5
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

So if I understand correctly your issues were: LG software dun goofed a backup and your factory restore wasnt enough to revert to stock?

I can only suggest using something with more user control for backups (manually copying files to a network share for example) and if possible, flashing a stock image if you need to nuke n pave in the future.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:44 AM   #6
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

That's what happened, lol. And since Verizon is the one 'in charge' of the software on their network, I'm not sure how easy it is to download a fully stock rom of their version. It's easy to find the right software version complied to run on the phone, but I'm not 100% sure that would count as unmodified software given the network... though it probably should. Then there's the issue of getting future OTAs if not using the verizon-specific version, but there should be very few of those since the G3 is now basically considered EoL

Old Sep 22, 2016, 02:45 PM   #7
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJMasta View Post
That's what happened, lol. And since Verizon is the one 'in charge' of the software on their network, I'm not sure how easy it is to download a fully stock rom of their version. It's easy to find the right software version complied to run on the phone, but I'm not 100% sure that would count as unmodified software given the network... though it probably should. Then there's the issue of getting future OTAs if not using the verizon-specific version, but there should be very few of those since the G3 is now basically considered EoL
Seems kinda complicated compared to Samsung phones but I think this should work:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2785089

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Sep 23, 2016, 01:34 PM   #8
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

I'll be getting a Samsung phone next. Note 7 is drool worthy!

Won't be rooting it this time though. no idea if that had any effect on it, but I want wireless payment, sooo...

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2016, 03:28 PM   #9
Zero
Sass hole

I haven't had a compelling reason to root my phone in 4 years.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"