Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 9, 2016, 07:53 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Jkmetal23
The NFL sucks

Jkmetal23 once held a door open for a complete strangerJkmetal23 once held a door open for a complete strangerJkmetal23 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Advice needed: Unlocked GSM Android phone under 100 w/ removable battery

What do you fine and knowledgeable ragers recommend. I ve done a bit of research and found a few candidates, mostly phones from the Blu brand.

How important is having the latest version of Android in regards to app selection and security?
Antec Sonata 3|AMD Athlon 860k|Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H|8 gig Cruical Ballistic DDR3 1600|MSI GTX 660ti 2gb PE |LG Blu-Ray Drive/DVD Burner| ASUS XONAR DGX|Western Digital Caviar Blue 1tb |Crucial M500 240gb SSD|Corisar T2 Heatsink|Ducky 1087 mechanical keyboard w/cherry brown switches|Razer DeathAdder 3.5g|Xbox One S Controller| Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick| Samsung 24D390 |Sony C520K| Dell 2007WFP| Creative T10 2.0 speakers| Windows 8.1 Pro x64 |PS3 Slim 120gb|PS4 Slim 1tb| Nokia Lumia 640 w/ 32gb Flash
Jkmetal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2016, 05:23 PM   #2
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

As long as it's above Android 4.4.4, you should be good for security. I don't think most apps require the latest API level. Android 5 and above should be good.

Blu makes some good value phones.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2016, 12:50 AM   #3
Jkmetal23
The NFL sucks

Jkmetal23 once held a door open for a complete strangerJkmetal23 once held a door open for a complete strangerJkmetal23 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
As long as it's above Android 4.4.4, you should be good for security. I don't think most apps require the latest API level. Android 5 and above should be good.

Blu makes some good value phones.
Thanks Blu. I would be coming from a windows phone so I'm a stranger to the in s and outs of android.

Could I get by on a gig of ram for a couple of years?
Antec Sonata 3|AMD Athlon 860k|Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H|8 gig Cruical Ballistic DDR3 1600|MSI GTX 660ti 2gb PE |LG Blu-Ray Drive/DVD Burner| ASUS XONAR DGX|Western Digital Caviar Blue 1tb |Crucial M500 240gb SSD|Corisar T2 Heatsink|Ducky 1087 mechanical keyboard w/cherry brown switches|Razer DeathAdder 3.5g|Xbox One S Controller| Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick| Samsung 24D390 |Sony C520K| Dell 2007WFP| Creative T10 2.0 speakers| Windows 8.1 Pro x64 |PS3 Slim 120gb|PS4 Slim 1tb| Nokia Lumia 640 w/ 32gb Flash
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 11, 2016, 12:20 AM   #4
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

No

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2016, 07:21 PM   #5
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

If you search Amazon/Woot/SlickDeals you might be able to find an used LG G3/G4 around that price..i picked up a G4 for about $120 with an extra battery and flip case with NFC and Qi charging a couple months back.

I was worried about getting used, but when I got phone.. was without any box etc.. only had charger and phone wrapped in bubble wrap. Looked like brand new condition.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 06:57 AM   #6
Jkmetal23
The NFL sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by @md_Guy View Post
If you search Amazon/Woot/SlickDeals you might be able to find an used LG G3/G4 around that price..i picked up a G4 for about $120 with an extra battery and flip case with NFC and Qi charging a couple months back.

I was worried about getting used, but when I got phone.. was without any box etc.. only had charger and phone wrapped in bubble wrap. Looked like brand new condition.

Thank you for the advice. I was looking at a few used on ebay.

I did end up getting a new phone. I'm going to pickup it up tomorrow.

It's........................

A Microsoft Lumia 640. I know I know, ms killed the Lumia line. I did a lot of thinking during a slow day at work and I found that I liked my phone but I just wanted it to be bigger and faster. The 512mb of ram on my 635 is killing my ability to read most websites. No flash sucks. No front camera sucks. Reading comics sucks BC of the small screen and low res Same with videos. I believe that the 640 will fix most of these issues. Plus I can actually upgrade to windows 10 mobile when I m ready.
In the end I just don t believe that the low end Android phones are built to last like a Nokia is.

Plus it was 30 bucks and I get to drop t mobile. I cheaped and chickened out.

tl;dr, screw Pokemon go