Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Apr 18, 2016, 05:15 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

Default nexus 5x or moto x pure?

Which one would you buy? I like the fingerprint reader and fast Android updates, but is the nexus 5x a good phone as far as build quality goes? Is the screen quality good also?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 08:36 PM   #2
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

I just ordered a Nexus 5X. I could tell you a little more on Wednesday, when it is in my hands. I tend to break my phones every year or two, so I decided to stop forking out for the latest and greatest super phones.

The competition for me was the LG G4, mainly because T-mobile sells a refurbished one at a reasonable price.

For me, the size of the Moto X pure makes it a no go. I have a failing Z3 right now and an iPhone 5S for my work phone. My pocket is already pretty crammed, so I went with the Nexus 5X.

To me, the main downside of the 5X is that it doesn't have as good speakerphone as some other options. If you need a lot of storage, it doesn't have an SD card slot and it is only available in 16 and 32 GB versions.

It otherwise seems like a really good phone for the price.

For cell phone reviews, I generally go to MobileTechReview.com

This is what she has to say about Moto X Pure and Nexus 5X.
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/phon...ition-2015.htm
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/phones/Nexus-5X.htm

If you like the size of the Moto X Pure and have a little extra money to spend, you might want to look at the Nexus 6P. I believe it is available for $450 right now. Seems like a really great phone, if it weren't so big. I certainly thought about the Nexus 6P (and the "champagne" color looks really great), but the size and cost weren't what I wanted.
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/phones/Nexus-6P.htm

The Samsung Galaxy S7 I spent a fair amount of time drooling over, but it is just way out of my price range. Also, I feel like I have generally been happier with stock Android.

Last edited by aviphysics : Apr 18, 2016 at 08:56 PM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2016, 09:07 PM   #3
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

You may also want to consider a Galaxy S6.

I am not personally a big Samsung fan, but at least some people seem to think the S6 is a better device. It is, however, more expensive.

Last edited by aviphysics : Apr 18, 2016 at 09:15 PM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 18, 2016, 09:22 PM   #4
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

BTW, as far as the whole plastic vs metal vs whatever thing; I, like most people, put a case on my phone these days. It kind of makes what the phone is made out of mostly irrelevant, as long as the build quality is good.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:21 AM   #5
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne3d View Post
Which one would you buy? I like the fingerprint reader and fast Android updates, but is the nexus 5x a good phone as far as build quality goes? Is the screen quality good also?
IMO only get the 5x If youre anal about a finger scanner or getting the latest OS, Oh... and if the size of the phone is ok or not, the pures 5.7" can be a bit big for some. Remember; youll probably have a case on it so it will add more umph to whatever phone. Me having a 5.5 screen now with a case can make my phone feel a bit big in my pocket, esp when sitting. Both devices seem to be well built, but the Pure seems to be a more polished (bells and whistles) phone than the 5x.

When I was running with a Nx5, i was always worried/focused on getting the latest update, but since going with LG this time around i have not worried about it. 6.0 is such a solid platform, esp over 5. Id be totally happy if my phone didnt get any more updates, its plenty quick and stable for me.

The Pures screen sounds sexy, but with a smaller screen I wouldnt worry about res that much. IMHO 1080p is totally great for 5"ish phones. The pixel density is great for that res.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:06 PM   #6
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by **G.I.BRO** View Post
IMO only get the 5x If youre anal about a finger scanner or getting the latest OS, Oh... and if the size of the phone is ok or not, the pures 5.7" can be a bit big for some. Remember; youll probably have a case on it so it will add more umph to whatever phone. Me having a 5.5 screen now with a case can make my phone feel a bit big in my pocket, esp when sitting. Both devices seem to be well built, but the Pure seems to be a more polished (bells and whistles) phone than the 5x.

When I was running with a Nx5, i was always worried/focused on getting the latest update, but since going with LG this time around i have not worried about it. 6.0 is such a solid platform, esp over 5. Id be totally happy if my phone didnt get any more updates, its plenty quick and stable for me.

The Pures screen sounds sexy, but with a smaller screen I wouldnt worry about res that much. IMHO 1080p is totally great for 5"ish phones. The pixel density is great for that res.
I think you are thinking of the 6P. The 5X is a 5.2" screen.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:06 PM   #7
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
I think you are thinking of the 6P. The 5X is a 5.2" screen.
Sorry, i referring to the Pure's screen size.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:53 PM   #8
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Amazon is selling the 32GB Nexus 5X for $335 (USD) right now, dunno if the same deal is available in Canadia.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0178GE900?tag=b0c55-20
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2016, 02:27 PM   #9
GTwannabe
Radeon Evergreen

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
BTW, as far as the whole plastic vs metal vs whatever thing; I, like most people, put a case on my phone these days. It kind of makes what the phone is made out of mostly irrelevant, as long as the build quality is good.
I'm perfectly happy with the soft touch polycarbonate body on my Nexus 5. Metal phone bodies look nice, but are slippery.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2016, 02:42 PM   #10
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Amazon is selling the 32GB Nexus 5X for $335 (USD) right now, dunno if the same deal is available in Canadia.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0178GE900?tag=b0c55-20
If you want to squeeze out a few more bucks, you can buy a Nexus 5X 32GB for $250 by signing up for Google's Project Fi (which will cost $20-$30). You can then cancel the service and only pay for the first month.

Same deal is available for the 16GB 5x for $200.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 09:02 PM   #11
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by **G.I.BRO** View Post
IMO only get the 5x If you're anal ... getting the latest OS...
Was thinking about this and remembered how long it took for OEM's and Telecoms to roll out the security patch, when someone figured out how to install malware through MMS messages.

I don't normally chase the latest updates, but that seemed like a kind of a big deal in a world where your phone has access to your entire life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne3d View Post
Got my Nexus 5X today.

Quick impressions...
- Finger print scanner is practically instant. Makes the scanner on my work phone (iPhone 5S) seem terribly lethargic.
- Screen seems good. It is what I would expect from an IPS screen. If you want a super bright screen with highly saturated colors, you should look elsewhere.
- The tactile feel of the volume rocker is pretty cheep. The tactile click for vol up is slightly less than vol down and it overall just doesn't feel great.
- The body feels good, but is a little slippery.
- Otherwise the build quality seems good. Phone is rigid and plastic doesn't flex in any way that would make it feel fragile.
- I like the dull blue color, but the case I got is opaque and a slightly different blue, so the color of the phone almost doesn't matter . Hoping to find a good clear case.
- I like USB-C. I am just so sick of my micro USB connectors breaking every couple months. Hopefully the new connectors work better. I like that they have a more positive click. Tactilely Feels a little similar to the iphone plug.
- reception seems better than my Z3, though my Z3 might be suffering some from wear.

Accessories
- The Spiegen case I am not so impressed with. The fit is great, but the size of the phone and the smoothness of the case make the phone difficult to one hand.
- I picked up a Plesson clear case, which is also softer, but it made the volume rocker almost impossible to use.
- Grabbed a Spiegen tempered glass screen protector, which has good fit and seems as good quality as any I have found for my Z3.

In regards to phone updates... There seems to be several security patches that I am in the process of catching up on.

Last edited by aviphysics : Apr 21, 2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:52 PM   #12
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Could try a Rearth Ringke FUSION case.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2016, 08:28 AM   #13
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Seems like a number of people don't like the warmer color tones of the Nexus 5X.

For those that like cooler color tones, like most other phones, there is an option in the Developer Options menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Could try a Rearth Ringke FUSION case.
Will take a look.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 01:37 PM   #14
GTwannabe
Radeon Evergreen

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Sign up for Google Fi and you can order a Nexus 5X for $150 off regular price. Smoking deal.

USB type C is nice, but I miss my N5's wireless charging. Also wish they went with a slightly thicker case vs. the camera hump that causes the phone to rock/rattle on a flat surface.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2016, 07:51 PM   #15
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
Sign up for Google Fi and you can order a Nexus 5X for $150 off regular price. Smoking deal.

USB type C is nice, but I miss my N5's wireless charging. Also wish they went with a slightly thicker case vs. the camera hump that causes the phone to rock/rattle on a flat surface.
You have to pay $30 for the first month, to get the discount, so it is really $230 for the 16 GB version and $280 for the 32 GB version.

...I dropped the details earlier in this thread, but I guess no one pay attention .