Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Jul 22, 2019, 08:57 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
huskylord
Individual 2

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Default My driving weekend

I drive a 2008 Subaru Tribeca that has done extremely well, but like many things in life, I've put off some maintenance that is now all coming due. This is over a 7 day stretch:

1) Just about to head up to the cottage (2.5 hr drive) and I get a cracked radiator. Bring into the shop for a replacement and sets me back a grand.

2) On the way back from the cottage and supposed to head to Detroit (from Toronto) the next day and a section of the muffler goes. $400 bucks right there.

3) On the way back from Detroit (4 hour drive), the car is shuddering and I'm thinking I can't possibly be driving over the rumble strips....do do some research and looks like it could be my torque converter. I don't even want to know what that will cost. I"m hoping a transmission flush will help.

Woe is me.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:27 AM   #2
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

How many miles/km are on the car?

Eventually, things to fail and they can add up. However, depending on the mileage of the car, you can usually be fairly confident the replaced components will give you the same, if not more mileage.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:35 PM   #3
huskylord
Individual 2

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

150,000 miles
The engine is still running strong, but I'm worried about the transmission. Will get it checked out tomorrow and hopefully the damage ain't too bad. Otherwise I'll need to start looking at something new (or somewhat new)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 22, 2019, 01:14 PM   #4
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

At worse, it might be a new transmission which you could likely get and installed for around $2500. Just depends on if you want to spend $2500 for another 150,000 or spend $20,000+ for 150,000.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2019, 03:45 PM   #5
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Totally agree with Mahjik. People are too quick to toss out a vehicle with some miles when a couple repairs pop up. It rarely makes sense, financially, to ditch it.