Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Sep 8, 2003, 02:34 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nightweld

Nightweld is still being judged by the masses

Default Heating Problems, Processor is running warmer then I believe it should

Ok, my problem is that I've spent lots of money on cooling products for my case and for some reason its running too hot.

Here are some of the specs on my computer.

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (Barton)
Giga-Byte GA-7N400P2 Mobo
Corsair XMS TwinX 1024MB PC3200LLPT
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (Built By ATI)

Now I have a ThermalTake Volcano 10+ for my HS and using Arctic Silver 3 thermal paste, I have 4 case fans 3 blowing out, and one sucking in air, I have the ThermalTake TT-420APD(DUAL FAN) ATX12V + Active PFC Power Supply.

Everything runs nice, theres no stability issues and I'm not overclocking anything, but the cpu temp. is running at 70C and higher and thats freaking me out, these are brand new retail processor and motherboard aswell, anyone have any idea why it would be running so high?

Thanks to everyone that can help.
Nightweld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2003, 02:38 PM   #2
Nightweld

Nightweld is still being judged by the masses

Oh just to make sure there is a fan on the ThermalTake Volcano 10+, I only put HS, forgot to add the F. Just in case some of you think there isn't a fan, there is.

Thank You.
Nightweld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 01:00 AM   #3
_Kosh_
All Alone in the Night

Location: I have always been here. My actual post count is 65535 plus the number below:
_Kosh_ is still being judged by the masses

Assuming all fans are actually spinning:

[1] If an intake air filter is used, it could be clogged with dust.

[2] The air flow may be incorrect: Cool air could be traveling though the case without getting first into the general vecinity of the processor, due to cables for example.

[3] The HS fan could be in suck mode instead of push mode (if that applies to that partocular HSF). With most HSF, blowing into the HS is the proper mode. For that matter, any of the case fans could be running in the wrong way, cancelling the effect of another fan running in the proper way (ie, if one of two adjacent exhaut fans is actually doing "intake" duties, the air just coming out had been just entering a moment before, without having had a change to reach hot components inside.)

[4] Your BIOS or a piece of software controlling the fan speeds is malfunctioning or isn't configured properly.

[5] Last but not least, you have an HS to processor interface problem. The HS could be ill mounted, not making a flat contact with the processor, or it does, but the contact is weak because you have contamination in the interface, like a speck of "hard" dust, or a hair or a piece of hair sitting between the processor and HS (or the surface of the HSF isn't flat to beging with - it migh have a bump.) You might have forgotten to use a thermal interface compound, or it's not been applied as it should.

You may be having a number of those problems. On the other hand, everything may be close to normal and all you have is a somehow faulty temperature reading.

Verify every possible causes for the problems and make changes as appropriate. Double check everything. As for the thermal interface problem, the only way to help is to remove the HSF assembly, clean the surfaces, check for flatness and smoothness of the HS in the contact area and reinstall using a good heat transfer compound such as AS-3 or the newer "Céramique" compound, after having read and understood the online instructions. ../K
Ahhhh, you seek meaning. Then listen to the music... not the song -- Ambassador Kosh - Reborn
_Kosh_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 9, 2003, 01:18 AM   #4
squid
Cute

squid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird sings

flash your bios to make sure that the temp is reading properly.
also make sure that the heatsink doesn't have heaps of dust in it.
squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 03:12 AM   #5
lil bastard
Radeon R520

lil bastard is still being judged by the masses

maybe you didnt put the heatsink on well?

Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 | i5-2400 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 | 60GB OCZ Vertex Plus SSD - SRT | WD Black 1TB | Antec Earthwatts 500w | Vizio 42" 1080P | Sapphire HD7850 OC | ATI Theater 650 Pro

Intel DH67BL | i3-2100 | 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 | 1x2TB WD EARS | 4x2TB Samsung F4EG | Antec Earthwatts 380w | Headless

Lenovo x230t Tablet PC | i5-3320M | 8GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 256GB 830SSD |

lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 04:32 AM   #6
Nakor Allthumbs
Gibson junkie

Location: Canada The eighth concentric circle of Dantes' easy bake.
Nakor Allthumbs is still being judged by the masses

I had a problem with excessive heat myself. I bought all kinds of fans, new heat sink, and tried different variations of airflow (more fans sucking in than out, and visa versa). I was about to give up on the heat problem when i accidently spilled tea down the front of my computer case. after a brief and hectic cleanup, the buttons on the case were toast. I replaced the case with at larger case of signifigant quality, and like magic, the heat problem went away. try the fans, and new HSF combo, but don't neglect the fact that a larger case is better. (I know i prattled, but eventually i got the the point. lol)

Pinky: I think so, but if they called them sad meals, nobody would buy them.

Folding under Pharoh
Nakor Allthumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 05:15 AM   #7
flakes
Radeon R520

flakes is still being judged by the masses

put your finger near the base of the heatsink and see if it really is that hot.
flakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 05:35 AM   #8
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

leave the case open!
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote