Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Oct 26, 2006, 08:43 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Metaluna
Radeon R520

Metaluna is still being judged by the masses

Default Regular PCIe card in PCIe graphics slot

If I have an SLI/Crossfire-supporting motherboard with the secondary graphics slot unused, is it generally possible to plug a regular PCIe x1 peripheral card (say an eSATA or 1394 controller, for example) into the slot? Or is there something special about them that makes them only usable for video cards? Is there any general rule of thumb about this or does it vary from one mobo model to another?
Metaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 08:46 AM   #2
00ber_m00
Radeon R520

00ber_m00 is still being judged by the masses

A PCIe card will physically fit (and work correctly) in any slot that is at least as large as it is (e.g. an x1 card will work in a x4 or x16 slot)

~Wikipedia
Sapphire RadeonX1900XT
Audigy2 Plat
Raptor 74gb ADFD
Seagate 320gb 7200.10
00ber_m00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 09:57 AM   #3
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

And if you have a 4x or 16x card in a PCI-e 1x Open Ended slot, that will work also (albeit at the 1x data transfer rate).
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:41 AM   #4
Metaluna
Radeon R520

Metaluna is still being judged by the masses

Thanks for the feedback. I was pretty sure that the PCIe spec allowed such things, I just wasn't sure if these graphics slots were generic PCIe or if, with the PC industry being what it is, they had been altered in some proprietary way to support Crossfire. Not that I have any non-graphics PCIe cards at the moment.
Metaluna is offline   Reply With Quote